Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #661
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Splashtop won't work as I can't see the things I'm doing on the iPad echo'd on the TV, I believe. In that way, Splashtop is more of an RDP than a mirror, so to speak.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #662
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Any of you dual ecosystem (Windows + Apple) people have any good iOS app recommendations for remote control of Windows 8?

My grand vision is as follows: I'm building a Windows8 HTPC from a spare system I have. This will be hooked up to my TV via HDMI. I then want to be able to control it from my iPad while parking my butt on my couch. So I want a solid VNC type interaction, not a RDP solution. Ideally, having it recognize touch via the iPad would be sweet, but I know it's likely just going to be me controlling the mouse pointer.

Recommendations? Cross posting this to the Windows8 thread as well.
LogMeIn is very good for what you want to do. I'm not sure how much it costs on the iOS side now (I paid full price for LogMeIn Ignition back in the day), but its bulletproof, fast, and easy.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #663
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Splashtop won't work as I can't see the things I'm doing on the iPad echo'd on the TV, I believe. In that way, Splashtop is more of an RDP than a mirror, so to speak.
I can't believe they removed the old app that did that and then removed it from the features of Splashtop 2.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #664
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trying to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5 on the iphone 4. It's absolutely outrageous that you have to go through some convoluted steps just to roll back the firmware. I'm doing it mainly to regain access to google maps. I know Apple has been apologetic about it but what a disaster. Definitely won't be continuing on with an Apple phone after the contract is up.

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #665
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My iPhone 5 has a terrible wifi connection at home. I know there's been a problem with connecting to networks using WPA2, which is what I have set up. When I use the Speedtest app to test the connection, I usually get a speed lower than 1 Mbps. On my laptop, it's around 15 Mbps.

I've tried forgetting networks, hard resets, changing the DNS settings, and have restored my phone as well. No matter what, my connection issues persist. I've read online that some people have exchanged their phones for new ones at Apple after demonstrating that they can't connect to WPA2 networks. My phone connects, but at a much slower speed than than my other devices. Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice?
I'm also on iOS 6.0.1, so it's as up to date as possible.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #666
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel View Post
Trying to downgrade from iOS 6 to 5 on the iphone 4. It's absolutely outrageous that you have to go through some convoluted steps just to roll back the firmware..
I know Apple likes to brag about getting the latest OS on all it's devices but the iPhone 4 is two years old and shouldn't have gotten iOS 6 in the first place.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #667
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I know Apple likes to brag about getting the latest OS on all it's devices but the iPhone 4 is two years old and shouldn't have gotten iOS 6 in the first place.
Why? It runs iOS 6 just fine.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #668
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Just a couple stories from friends etc so nothing concrete just anecdotal stuff but I've heard a couple horror stories about iOS 6 on the 4 and how it's slowing theirs down to a crawl etc.

Who knows, could be other factors as well, but that's what they chalked it up to.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #669
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
iOS 6 runs fine on my 3GS. It's slower, but its also a 3 year old phone. I'm pretty impressed. It's been in the lake, dropped a few times. It's cracked. The buttons fell out after one good drop. It keeps right on working. Every other phone I've owned had a 2 year lifespan. This one doesn't want to die.

The phone went in the lake this summer. My buddy and I where goofing off on the dock after a couple of pops and we fell in. His galaxy s3 got water in it, and it never recovered. I thought mine was done but the next day it was back to normal. It's not a slag at Samsung. The phone is awesome. My buddy bought a new one the following Monday when he got back to Calgary. I'm just stating I like how durable my 3GS is.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #670
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Just a couple stories from friends etc so nothing concrete just anecdotal stuff but I've heard a couple horror stories about iOS 6 on the 4 and how it's slowing theirs down to a crawl etc.

Who knows, could be other factors as well, but that's what they chalked it up to.
Good analysis, thanks.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #671
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
iOS 6 runs fine on my 3GS. It's slower, but its also a 3 year old phone. I'm pretty impressed. It's been in the lake, dropped a few times. It's cracked. The buttons fell out after one good drop. It keeps right on working. Every other phone I've owned had a 2 year lifespan. This one doesn't want to die.

The phone went in the lake this summer. My buddy and I where goofing off on the dock after a couple of pops and we fell in. His galaxy s3 got water in it, and it never recovered. I thought mine was done but the next day it was back to normal. It's not a slag at Samsung. The phone is awesome. My buddy bought a new one the following Monday when he got back to Calgary. I'm just stating I like how durable my 3GS is.
Yeah iOS 6 also runs fine on both my iPhone 4 and my wife's 3GS.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #672
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

The problem isn't that ios6 runs slow all the time on my iPhone 4, it's when randomly several times a day it locks up and bogs down for no reason. Never happened 2 updates ago. With each new iOS things slow down. I wish they wouldn't, I use to be insanely in love with my iPhone. My friend with iPhone 4 have the same love and now hate view on this phone.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #673
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Strange. It's worked with no issues on my device. I never would have made the assumption that my 2 year old device wouldn't be ideal for a software upgrade. It's compatible and recommended - I don't see how anyone could have had the foresight not to download it.

It's just unfortunate that they managed to #### up arguably one of the biggest benefits of a smart phone, the map feature. Added frustration when you can't simply rollback a software update... it doesn't make any sense.

Edit: Specifically for the iOS 6 update, it reads, "Supported devices on this release include the iPhone 3GS onwards, the iPod Touch (4th generation) onwards, and the iPad 2 onwards."

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>

Last edited by Leon; 11-24-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM   #674
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Just dumping this in here. But until Dec 5th if you order any Apple products online through the Airmiles shops link, you get 2X + 20X Airmiles on any purchases. So it basically works out to 110 Airmiles/$100 spent if my math is right. So basically it is a free flight to Vancouver with a $769 purchase if you are a Gold Collector with a BMO AM Mastercard. $900 if you don't have the BMO AM Mastercard.

http://www.airmilesshops.ca/shops/ai...MS-20x-BF&seg=
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #675
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
The problem isn't that ios6 runs slow all the time on my iPhone 4, it's when randomly several times a day it locks up and bogs down for no reason. Never happened 2 updates ago.
How many apps have you added and updated since 2 revisions ago of the OS though. It's hard to assign all blame to iOS itself when there are so many other factors changing concurrently.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #676
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Apple CEO Tim Cook announces plans to manufacture Mac computers in USA
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #677
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
How many apps have you added and updated since 2 revisions ago of the OS though. It's hard to assign all blame to iOS itself when there are so many other factors changing concurrently.
I thought it was the amount of apps I had that was slowing down my 4, but I cleared out all the junk, removed most of my music, and the thing still stutters it's way through transitions and occasionally while using apps for no real reason. It never did this on iOS5 so either my phone is just becoming slowly worse, or there are more things happening in iOS6 taking away processing power from the current running apps.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:07 PM   #678
Captain_Obvious
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Processor

Looking to buy a new Macbook pro and going with the 15" retina display...

Can anyone weigh in on the processor options:

• 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz

• 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz [Add $250.00]

Just curious if it's worth the extra $250 for the upgrade? I'm already shelling out close to 3K so if it makes a considerable difference I was just going to add it on...
Captain_Obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:13 PM   #679
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I looked at these options when I was buying the rMBP. Benchmarks had it about 8% better in terms of CPU performance, but real world I am not sure if the benefit is there. (unless you are doing some significantly major CPU usage work)

In Engadget's awesome review,

Geekbench 11,591 11,082

The 11,082 belongs to the 2.3, and 11,591 belongs to 2.6. The 2.7 scores at about 11,800.

Depending on your usage, even the 2.3 might be good enough, with 16GB ram of future-proofing.

Note, battery life is better on the 2.3 then the other models,
according to engadget

"Despite all that performance, we were still impressed by the battery life. In our standard rundown test, which involves looping a video with WiFi on and the display set at a fixed brightness, we netted an impressive seven hours and 49 minutes on the 2.6GHz model. The 2.3GHz model lasted an average of nine hours and 22 minutes -- a runtime so long we at first thought it was a fluke. After repeated runs, though, we kept turning up similar results."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/13/a...isplay-review/

Last edited by silentsim; 12-22-2012 at 06:17 PM.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silentsim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #680
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Get 16 GB of RAM, or AppleCare before those marginal CPU increases...the thing is wicked fast with the base CPU