Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #1641
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering upgrading my current 60" 1st Gen HDR 4K LG with an LG OLED65CXPUA.

Anyone own a BX/CX/GX series TV have an opinion? The 65" model is on "discount" (2020 model) now @ $2600 everywhere and it looks like a great midrange OLED option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:24 AM   #1642
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I've been thinking about an ultra short throw projector (1080P) to do basic media in my family room on an 80" screen. It would basically just be used for casual gaming, streaming, presentations etc. By casual, I'd be estimating 2-3 hours a day on average.

Are there any special things I should keep in mind with a UST projector and/or additional things I should consider installing alongside it?

I am hoping for a bit more comfort before basically having to drop $1500 ish on one. I'm basically going with this set up because the screen will be in front of a fireplace with a shallow mantle and regular/short throw would have the projector in the middle of my ceiling. I also use the fireplace regularly so there are some concerns with heat if I were to mount a regular TV.
Are you ceiling mounting? How far away, and how large a screen? I've been really happy with my BenQ, and you should be able to find one under $1000. Mine is not short throw.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #1643
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Are you ceiling mounting? How far away, and how large a screen? I've been really happy with my BenQ, and you should be able to find one under $1000. Mine is not short throw.
Yes, I will be ceiling mounting. Screen is 80". Another consideration is that there is an existing track light a few feet from where I'd mount the UST projector on the ceiling already and I don't want to mess around with it/have the track light shadows on my screen. Otherwise, short throw might have been a consideration as well and about 30-40% cheaper than the UST options I'm looking at right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/Optoma-GT5600-...s%2C201&sr=8-2

I was basically looking at something like this.

I was planning on pairing it up with my Vizio sound bar for sound. I also ready using the extra HDMI for something like an Apple TV or Chromecast attached to cast is also very beneficial.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #1644
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

With that projector you need it 1.5" away for 80". That's the lens part, so the projector itself will sit very close to the wall.

If you go with the BenQ HT2150ST you need about 4.5 feet. Most lenses sit a ways below your ceiling height when mounted. The top of my lens is 6" below the ceiling and hits my screen at 17" below. That's with a fairly low profile ceiling mount. So you have to check vertical offset too. You may be better with a non-low profile mount. You are much better to not have to angle your projector down and use keystone to correct, unless it is an LCD. But it may fit fine behind your track lighting.

This calculator, if you haven't found it yet, is essential to planning.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...r-pro.htm#calc
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #1645
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

Anyone own a BX/CX/GX series TV have an opinion? The 65" model is on "discount" (2020 model) now @ $2600 everywhere and it looks like a great midrange OLED option.
The only OLED that comes close to it on the market is the Sony A8H, which supposedly has a better picture when it comes to movies, etc., but is more expensive and lacks the gaming support (VRR, lower input lag) that the CX has.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #1646
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With that projector you need it 1.5" away for 80". That's the lens part, so the projector itself will sit very close to the wall.

If you go with the BenQ HT2150ST you need about 4.5 feet. Most lenses sit a ways below your ceiling height when mounted. The top of my lens is 6" below the ceiling and hits my screen at 17" below. That's with a fairly low profile ceiling mount. So you have to check vertical offset too. You may be better with a non-low profile mount. You are much better to not have to angle your projector down and use keystone to correct, unless it is an LCD. But it may fit fine behind your track lighting.

This calculator, if you haven't found it yet, is essential to planning.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/Ben...r-pro.htm#calc
I'll definitely take a quick peek at things to rethink it this weekend and draw/calc it out rather than ball park it. Perhaps you're right and short throw might still work.

I think the main issue was that IIRC, the track lights are like 2.5"-3" on a 10 ft ceiling (kinda low) and I got a low profile mount even before I got this projector. Also, if I'm 4-8 feet away from the screen, I'm in the middle of the room and I'd have to get a ton of super long cables and also figure out how to hide them (Power, HDMI etc.).

But Keystone correction should be able to address that. The savings would go pretty far to get stuff to make it prettier and I might even be able to upgrade to 4K/higher brightness as well.

I'm still at a loss as to how to hide the cables though and I think I'd need to pull cables almost 20 ft to get to get to where I'd put some of the media stuff/outlet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Some of the drop box type options I researched before were pretty awful which is kinda why I was leaning towards UST in the first place.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #1647
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use these, they don't look to bad, though mine are just a short distance to my ceiling cable ports. You can get power and HDMI in one. But ya, cables are always a pain to figure out.

https://www.amazon.ca/Legrand-C210-W.../dp/B00004W3ZQ
Old 02-19-2021, 01:36 PM   #1648
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

That's not really a discount, whenever I looked at TV prices last year I saw the 65" CX on "sale" for the same price. LG just announced the B1/C1/G1 series and it looks to be a sizeable improvement from the X series, with better brightness and a much faster processor, so I'd either wait for that to hit stores or wait for a better price drop on the CX
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #1649
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That's not really a discount, whenever I looked at TV prices last year I saw the 65" CX on "sale" for the same price. LG just announced the B1/C1/G1 series and it looks to be a sizeable improvement from the X series, with better brightness and a much faster processor, so I'd either wait for that to hit stores or wait for a better price drop on the CX
Makes sense, I know LG usually does a big tech dump in April most years so I figured I would at least wait that long to see how pricing went.

I might just spring for a C1 sometime in June/July if it's got better brightness/HDR compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:48 PM   #1650
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I have the 65 CX and a 55 B7, best TV's I have ever owned. I game so I went for the CX as it can't be beat and is a very close second for movies to the Sony OLED TV.

You could also wait to see what the price of the newer versions are going to be. The new lineup offers OLED A1, B1, C1, G1 and an 8K Z1.

A1's will be entry level OLED's so it will be interesting to see the price.

I recommend this TV 100 times out of 100.

Last edited by Since1984; 02-19-2021 at 02:52 PM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #1651
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking for advice on hooking up a soundbar to an older Plasma with limited HDMI ports. The HDMI ports are full so the soundbar is hooked up through a digital audio cable. I have to setup ‘external speakers’ on my TV to recognize the soundbar through digital audio and therefore I can’t control the volume through my TV. Any better options here?
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #1652
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
Looking for advice on hooking up a soundbar to an older Plasma with limited HDMI ports. The HDMI ports are full so the soundbar is hooked up through a digital audio cable. I have to setup ‘external speakers’ on my TV to recognize the soundbar through digital audio and therefore I can’t control the volume through my TV. Any better options here?
Universal remote?

Maybe something like the Logitech Harmony?
Old 02-19-2021, 10:49 PM   #1653
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Or just a receiver to the TV and all your peripherals through the receiver.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #1654
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can buy a little HDMI switch if you just need more ports. Mine automatically switches, and it's pretty seamless.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:18 PM   #1655
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You can buy a little HDMI switch if you just need more ports. Mine automatically switches, and it's pretty seamless.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Didn’t realize they can auto switch. What brand/model do you use?
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:42 AM   #1656
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got this one 4 years ago, Fosmon.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01DV2WZ5Q
Old 02-21-2021, 08:29 AM   #1657
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had my projector cut out twice during the Flames game Friday. Lots of blinking lights and the fan started racing. Sure enough, popped off the cover and the air filter was caked with dust.

Just a reminder for anyone who needs it.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 01:59 PM   #1658
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yes, I will be ceiling mounting. Screen is 80". Another consideration is that there is an existing track light a few feet from where I'd mount the UST projector on the ceiling already and I don't want to mess around with it/have the track light shadows on my screen. Otherwise, short throw might have been a consideration as well and about 30-40% cheaper than the UST options I'm looking at right now.

https://www.amazon.ca/Optoma-GT5600-...s%2C201&sr=8-2

I was basically looking at something like this.

I was planning on pairing it up with my Vizio sound bar for sound. I also ready using the extra HDMI for something like an Apple TV or Chromecast attached to cast is also very beneficial.
I had an older version of this in my old townhouse. It was great. Only advice I'd give is that for games requiring quick reflexes (fps especially) the input lag is still an issue. I'm a slow old man so I don't care, but my oldest son hated it because he could definitely tell. It said the latency was only 16ms, but multiple people said they noticed it. I don't play FPS so I didn't care too much

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 02-21-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2021, 04:35 PM   #1659
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It looks like Micro LED will be the new best TV technology

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/micro-led-vs-oled

Same perfect blacks and color balance as OLEDs, but with better brightness and no burn-in. Will be interesting to see the final price on them though, I wonder if Samsung is willing to take a bit of a hit for the first few years to try and usurp LG's dominance of the high-end TV market
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #1660
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The place I moved into has existing Bose speakers.
5 of them wired through the walls and ceiling to the TV mount area.
There's no subwoofer or receiver, also all the speakers have RCA looking terminations...

What could I do with these?

Sorry, I have very limited knowledge of the home theater setups.

Thanks in advance.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote