Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-29-2022, 07:49 AM   #1
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Best streaming device

Alright, I found a few older threads, but I figured with how quick the tech changes it probably makes sense to just create a new one. We have an older Sharp smart TV that does not have the Disney+ app available. Sadly, I have not been able to use this as an excuse to upgrade the TV. Looks like my options for streaming devices are chromecasts, fire sticks, or roku. I am not the most technologically advanced person, so I’m looking for suggestions on best bang for buck and ease of use. All we will be using it for at this time is for Disney+. Thanks!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 09:32 AM   #2
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best I've used is the Nvidia Shield, followed by the Fire Cube.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2022, 10:06 AM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nvidia Shield TV gets my vote too, ease of use and capability are off the charts IMO. I have the Shield TV Pro which is probably overkill for your uses, but it's fantastic, especially using GameStream.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:36 AM   #4
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on your description, I'd probably go for a Roku. They're cheap, relatively no frills, and extremely simple to use.

They're not as flexible or as powerful as other options (like the Nvidia Shield mentioned above), but it sounds like you basically just want a simple option for streaming services, so there's no point in spending 4-5x as much money for capabilities you have no use for. Fire Sticks and Chromecasts are also good options (I personally have Fire Sticks), but the interfaces for those (while nicer looking than Roku) are a bit more cluttered.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:55 AM   #5
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The problem with Roku is app availability is worse than anything android tv based (nvidia shield) or apple tv based. For example there's no way to use SportsNet now with a Roku (besides mirroring your phone screen which sucks).
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 12:30 PM   #6
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The Shield is the best streaming device without question, which is also why it's the most expensive. If you can spare $200 it's a no brainer, but if you want something cheaper then I'd go with the Google TV dongle
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Are you invested into any one ecosystem right now? I don't think you could go wrong with the Amazon fire stick or the google chromecast. I prefer the fire stick, but they really are very similar. Amazon devices regularly go on sale, so if you can wait, wait until they go on sale.

Last edited by monkeyman; 11-06-2022 at 10:03 AM.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #8
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have the Sheild Pro. By far the best, a bit glitchy sometimes.

Though sometimes with all of its capabilities I feel like I'm driving a Ferrari around town in 1st gear.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #9
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks everyone for the advice so far! Clearly the nvidia shield is the winner, but also the priciest, which happens. The plan is to give Disney + as part of the kids’ Christmas gift, so we have some time and I suspect Black Friday will have some deals.

I am not tied to any eco-system at this point, so that isn’t a concern.

Thanks again!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:12 PM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

google TV is what i have.. doesn't look like it holds a candle to nvidia shield, but if it's for disney + no problems i don't think. gives you a remote but i just use my tv remote with it once it's activated
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve found the Amazon Fire Stick 4k, has done what I’ve needed. All the apps I desire are there, and my iptv streams great.
cam_wmh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #12
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a couple of Rokus and a Fire Stick, I prefer the Roku interface but either gets the job done for watching common streaming services (Disney+, Netflix, Prime etc.).
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of which is your best choice depends on your intended usage. Roku is great for common streaming services, but you can't install Android apps like you can on Shield, Google TV or firestick.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #14
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

The lower-end Chromecast is on sale at most places right now for $29, so that might be a pretty good option if you're looking for something cheap and simple. It's only 1080p, but it sounds like you'd be using it on an older TV, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 11-03-2022, 11:50 PM   #15
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Super dumb question... But do you have a console attached to the TV that is compatible with Disney+?

My brother had a seldom used Xbox series S connected to his TV (PC gamer) and he bought a new Apple device solely to stream Disney+. When I asked why he didn't just use his console he stared at me blankly and said he forgot he could use that to stream.
A friend did the same with a Roku and I asked if his seldom used PS4 wasn't streaming Disney+ appropriately and if hardwiring would help. He too stared at me before asking if I was joking about Disney+ working on the PS4. He asked why I bought a Roku stick for streaming and I responded I wasn't going to ceiling mount my console to be beside the ceiling mounted projector and the 20ft hdmi cable was pissing me off.

Both instances were from earlier this year.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:13 AM   #16
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shield pro no doubt or a pc hooked up to a TV.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 08:02 AM   #17
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Spend the farm on a Shield of possible if you only need 1 but for plan B spend a $100 on a decent spec out Android box not the cheapo's. I have been using them for years and no issues. I need 3 for my place so much more affordable than 3 Shields. I stream everything on them and quality of picture is great at 1080 or 4k. Just get a debrid account for a couple bucks a month and you are off to the races.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:18 PM   #18
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and I guess another option for streaming could just be to use a laptop and install Disney+
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 01:20 PM   #19
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, the OP is asking for a cheap and easy-to-use solution to allow him and his kids to stream Disney+ on their older TV. A $200 streaming device or having to mess around with a laptop every time his kids want to watch something probably doesn't fit the bill.

Just get a $30-40 streaming device (Chromecast + Fire Sticks are on sale right now, and there are Rokus that in that range) and call it a day. They're simple and totally capable enough for the vast majority of people. Just weigh simplicity vs capability. If you want the most simple (can be good for kids) then a Roku is good; if you want more capabilities and better app selection, I'd go with a Fire Stick 4K (they're on for $35 right now).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2022, 07:42 PM   #20
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Spend the farm on a Shield of possible if you only need 1 but for plan B spend a $100 on a decent spec out Android box not the cheapo's. I have been using them for years and no issues. I need 3 for my place so much more affordable than 3 Shields. I stream everything on them and quality of picture is great at 1080 or 4k. Just get a debrid account for a couple bucks a month and you are off to the races.
Yeah you want these boxes to be google certified, or nothing works right.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote