Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2021, 08:13 PM   #101
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
he started with what? seven straight wins? Can we assume those are on him? I am not sure we can.

After that? basically 500 (pt%age). This team is more talented than that.
Couple that with our early wins this past season being thanks to a PP that was on fire - which Matthew Tkachuk openly said they didn’t even practice because of the condensed camp.

…Ward was awful as a head coach, and an absolutely moronic hire.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:20 PM   #102
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
he started with what? seven straight wins? Can we assume those are on him? I am not sure we can.

After that? basically 500 (pt%age). This team is more talented than that.
So you take those wins away because? His record is his record...if you are gonna start taking away a winning streak take away a losing streak too that may have been the goalies fault ect.

Sutter is better but Ward wasn't the worst coach, at some point these players need to step up. Basically the last chance...if it fails are we gonna say that Sutter has lost it and bail out the players again? If Sutter can't get these guys going its pretty tough to blame Wardo.

Last edited by dino7c; 08-24-2021 at 08:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 08:43 PM   #103
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So you take those wins away because? His record is his record...if you are gonna start taking away a winning streak take away a losing streak too that may have been the goalies fault ect.

Sutter is better but Ward wasn't the worst coach, at some point these players need to step up. Basically the last chance...if it fails are we gonna say that Sutter has lost it and bail out the players again? If Sutter can't get these guys going its pretty tough to blame Wardo.
So we aren't allowed to analyze the validity of that record?

He got nothing out of the talent he had. They played listless, slow, soft, and without cohesion.

Otherwise I thought he did okay.

Oh, and how about that call to put in a cold Rittich against Dallas in the playoffs?
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 PM   #104
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
…Ward was awful as a head coach, and an absolutely moronic hire.
The trouble is, Ward wasn't hired to be a head coach. He was hired as an assistant, and it turned out that the guy he was assisting was one of the biggest arseholes in hockey.

Giving him the permanent title at the end of the season was a puzzle. But if, as I have occasionally heard, Sutter was not available at that time, it made sense to keep Ward as a stopgap.

One thing I did notice: The extremely condensed schedule, with crazy travel and a woeful shortage of practice days, made monkeys out of a number of other coaches. I'm not putting too much stock in any conclusions drawn from that whole garbage season.

Last edited by Jay Random; 08-24-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 10:24 PM   #105
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Seemed like the place to put this.

NHL coaching by xGA and xGF vs average.

Sutter literally #1 (maybe 2 to Bednar), Ward a hot mess.

From @ineffectivemath vis Kent Wilson
https://twitter.com/user/status/1430233194410889217
Can this model possibly be legit?Trying to isolate coaching as a variable seems far fetched to me.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:18 PM   #106
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Can this model possibly be legit?Trying to isolate coaching as a variable seems far fetched to me.

I have to say, I’m a bit intrigued

It is simple xGF vs GF, and the coach is the label

We recall coaches where they satisfied shot based metrics but didn’t feel dangerous, yes? What’s more dangerous than actual goals? One value of the shot based metrics is correlating countable things to expect goals. Which doesn’t really matter as games are won with real goals

It’d be neat to see how these stats follow coaches across years and teams
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2021, 11:44 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So we aren't allowed to analyze the validity of that record?

He got nothing out of the talent he had. They played listless, slow, soft, and without cohesion.

Otherwise I thought he did okay.

Oh, and how about that call to put in a cold Rittich against Dallas in the playoffs?
Analyze whatever you want but it seems kinda biased to just throw out a win streak because it doesn't fit your argument. Every coach has wins because of a goalie, hot PP, whatever. Losses too.

I never said he was a good coach...not the worst ever either IMO. It seems many of the same posters who think the rosters terrible also think Ward is terrible because he was only 10 games above .500

Wards playoff run sadly enough was one of the Flames better ones in recent memory. Say what you will about the play in round but they still won it and pushed Dallas. In the infamous Rittich game you speak off the Flames allowed 7 scoring chances and got scored on 7 times.

That is on the goalies
Talbot had a .733
Rittich had a .667

What the heck is a coach supposed to do. By the way I am thrilled with Sutter, like I said the team must be good if even Ward can get them to win games...we shall see

Last edited by dino7c; 08-24-2021 at 11:49 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:00 AM   #108
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's interesting where Vigneault is on this chart. I remember when many on this site were pining for his coaching ability. I wonder how much this chart accurately show true coaching ability and how much a bad team skews good coaching. Ward is exactly where he belongs though and I wouldn't be surprised to see Gulutzan right along side him if he was on a coaching chart.

It's very excited to have Sutter as head coach of the Flames for a full year and I'm confidant that the Flames will make the playoffs and could be a nasty team to face.

Last edited by CF84; 08-25-2021 at 12:03 AM.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 06:30 AM   #109
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ward was in a tough spot. As interim he took over mid-season in a very unexpected change. And yeah, I’m a pandemic when options were limited (and it appears Sutter was not one of them) he got the nod with a less than standard 2 year contract - as lame duck as a coaching deal gets. He got almost no camp and was still very much working off of what Peters was going IMO. I don’t think he’s great but he’s also not the worst coach in Flames history.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #110
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's crazy how bad Ward was last season.

I'm not 100% what really happened but the low risk style he wanted to play just didn't seem to work with this roster.

By far the worst coaching impact in the league last year by this metric.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:20 PM   #111
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^Maurice being smack dab in the middle seems to be totally on-brand as well.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #112
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430715895844950018

https://twitter.com/user/status/1430716069795311617
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #113
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look at Monahan’s defensive numbers. At his position, it’s a big reason why the top line could not get out of their own zone so often.

He gets credit for improving his defensive play but it only had one direction to go. I have always had a big concern about his attention to detail in his own zone.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #114
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

^ I was surprised his ES d numbers were so atrocious the previous 2 seasons

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 08-26-2021 at 12:04 AM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #115
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

hard to dig into Monahan numbers because of his injury last year.

but thought I'd look at his pre-Sutter / Sutter splits. No real change.

If you look at his last 15 games though (picked it arbitrarily as close to half the time under Sutter) he did show some improvement. About 2-3% in most splits from April 2nd to May 9th.

His hip injury is a wild card for his play, but it does look like Sutter was maybe digging him out in his own zone to some degree.

xGA60
Without Sutter 2.06
First half with Sutter 1.85
2nd half with Sutter 1.68
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #116
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
hard to dig into Monahan numbers because of his injury last year.

but thought I'd look at his pre-Sutter / Sutter splits. No real change.

If you look at his last 15 games though (picked it arbitrarily as close to half the time under Sutter) he did show some improvement. About 2-3% in most splits from April 2nd to May 9th.

His hip injury is a wild card for his play, but it does look like Sutter was maybe digging him out in his own zone to some degree.

xGA60
Without Sutter 2.06
First half with Sutter 1.85
2nd half with Sutter 1.68
Gosh, a solid 2-way game from Monahan would do friggin wonders for this team..even if his overall offensive production dropped as a result, if Sutter could improve his defensive game our zone exits/offensive attack would vastly improve. I'm not worried about Mony suddenly losing his scoring touch.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #117
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
Gosh, a solid 2-way game from Monahan would do friggin wonders for this team..even if his overall offensive production dropped as a result, if Sutter could improve his defensive game our zone exits/offensive attack would vastly improve. I'm not worried about Mony suddenly losing his scoring touch.
I'm not as hard on Monahan as others.

I think he's legitimately battled some pretty tough injuries over the past two years. Everything you hear out of him (boring or not) suggests he's a good guy that works hard.

I don't think he's a "killer!" which is tough to teach, but I do think if healthy he could improve a lot under Sutter and improve his trade value.

Still holding out hope that they have an offer on the table to move him for decent value if they acquire Eichel though!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:06 AM   #118
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

This is why I think we are going to finish first next season.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #119
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
This is why I think we are going to finish first next season.
Good News: Sutter's teams In LA were spectacular fancy stats, the top 1 or 2 in the league for his SC, won 2 rounds, SC 3 year run

Bad News: Sutter's teams In LA were spectacular fancy stats the top 1 or 2 in the league for his Miss the playoffs, out in round one, miss the playoffs and get fired 3 year run

Things to think about:

In 2017-18 where the Flames finished 17th in the league they were #5 in SAT% and #5 in USAT% (the base shot counting that drives all fancy stats that NHL.com reports on)

In 2018-19 where the Flames were tied for 2nd in the league they were 5/6 in the fancy stats

In 2019-20 where Flames were tied for 18th in the league they were 15/18 in fancy stats

In 2020-21 where the Flames were tied for 20th in the league the Flames were 7/8 in the fancy stats.

Hard to find a correlation between fancy stats and winning hockey games in both Sutter's personal record and the recent Flames history.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #120
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

i find it hilarious that we consider simple ratios 'fancy stats'
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: