Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's next gen as far as when it was released...it actually has less horsepower than the discontinued Xbox One X

Series S 4 Teraflops
Xbox One X 6 Teraflops
Certainly not an upgrade to anyone who has a One X
Old 09-08-2020, 08:44 PM   #102
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
It's next gen as far as when it was released...it actually has less horsepower than the discontinued Xbox One X

Series S 4 Teraflops
Xbox One X 6 Teraflops
Certainly not an upgrade to anyone who has a One X
Anyone who has a One X would not be the target consumer for the Xbox Series S....
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #103
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Series S is going to be a better console than the One X though. Tflops doesn't really mean all that much in this case. The CPU, ray tracing and SSD are all a significant upgrade over the One X. The GPU is just slightly weaker. The Series S will run games that won't run on the One X, you'll never be able to say that the other way around. Honestly something like this console is what the One X and PS4 Pro should have been in the first place.

Last edited by codynw; 09-08-2020 at 08:58 PM.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #104
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you will be hard pressed to seeing any noticeable improvements on this consoles visuals...SSD will improve load times but most casuals will be happy with their current systems over this IMO. People who don't care about the latest graphics will get a switch.

Series X on the other hand is an actual upgrade but they need games...where are the games?

All of Sony's stuff will actually look "next gen"
Old 09-08-2020, 09:42 PM   #105
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think you will be hard pressed to seeing any noticeable improvements on this consoles visuals...SSD will improve load times but most casuals will be happy with their current systems over this IMO. People who don't care about the latest graphics will get a switch.

Series X on the other hand is an actual upgrade but they need games...where are the games?

All of Sony's stuff will actually look "next gen"
Ahhh...a Sony fan boy. I understand now. As I explained previously, this system is to get people into the next gen of games without the next gen price

Picture this, a kid who has friends getting the series x or ps5 because they have 4k tvs and a ton of disposable income but this kid can't afford the high prices of either console due to fiscal constraints now has the opportunity to still play with his friend on his 1080p tv. It may not look amazing but it fills a need for those gamers.

The new norm will most likely be cross-play as well for games that come out on both consoles.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:47 PM   #106
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If you provided this list in alphabetical order:

Xbox
Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X
Xbox 360

to someone with no prior knowledge of the Xbox brand, I wonder how many could correctly guess the order of them being announced and the most basic differences between them.

Compared to this list:

Playstation
Playstation One
Playstation 2
Playstation 2 Slimline
Playstation 3
Playstation 3 Slim
Playstation 3 Super Slim
Playstation 4
Playstation 4 Pro
Playstation 4 Slim
Playstation 5

Microsoft is basically in a hellhole between the consistent naming structure of Sony, and the completely random naming structure of Nintendo.

On this note I'm excited for the inevitably forthcoming Playstation 5 Pro, Slim, and Pro Slim.
I'll take the XXX model.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 PM   #107
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Ahhh...a Sony fan boy. I understand now. As I explained previously, this system is to get people into the next gen of games without the next gen price

Picture this, a kid who has friends getting the series x or ps5 because they have 4k tvs and a ton of disposable income but this kid can't afford the high prices of either console due to fiscal constraints now has the opportunity to still play with his friend on his 1080p tv. It may not look amazing but it fills a need for those gamers.

The new norm will most likely be cross-play as well for games that come out on both consoles.
What a dumb comment...you are the guy bending over backwards defending the "next gen system" that may or may not look slightly better than old Microsoft systems.

I have every Microsoft system ever made so don't give me that fanboy bull####...Sony's games have far more hype right now and visuals are looking next gen and they won't have dumbed-down versions out there. I think its lame by Microsoft to make such an under powered system (Series X is 4X more powerful) and market it is next gen. Its also poor marketing...when this thing comes out and people don't think it looks like an upgrade at all.

PS5 being the PS5 and the versions being equal other than the DD will be an advantage IMO. Disagree if you want but avoid the fanboy talk, I have a massive gaming collection with nearly every major console since the early 80s

Last edited by dino7c; 09-08-2020 at 10:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #108
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What a dumb comment...you are the guy bending over backwards defending the "next gen system" that may or may not look slightly better than old Microsoft systems.

I have every Microsoft system ever made so don't give me that fanboy bull####...Sony's games have far more hype right now and visuals are looking next gen and they won't have dumbed-down versions out there. I think its lame by Microsoft to make such an under powered system (Series X is 4X more powerful) and market it is next gen. Its also poor marketing...when this thing comes out and people don't think it looks like an upgrade at all.

PS5 being the PS5 and the versions being equal other than the DD will be an advantage IMO. Disagree if you want but avoid the fanboy talk, I have a massive gaming collection with nearly every major console since the early 80s
Every single one of your posts has made zero cents.

First you say why would anyone upgrade from a one x to a series s. No one will, the people who shelled out top dollar for a premier console will do the same. Whether it be a Xbox or PS5.

Then you say the series x is not next gen even though it contains all the bells and whistles of next gen with a slightly less powerful GPU. The VRR, ray tracing and new SSD and architecture running at 1440p and with up to 120 frames per second is next gen. This does not happen on current gen machines.

Microsoft has said multiple times it doesn't care about a console war and are just trying to get games into people's hands. Whatever way possible.

I guess I'm just excited that they are making games more available to groups of people that are largely ignored when releasing consoles.

Also congrats on your game collection. Mine is much smaller as I sold my old systems and games to be able to upgrade to new consoles as I grew older.
Old 09-09-2020, 12:10 AM   #109
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Every single one of your posts has made zero cents.

First you say why would anyone upgrade from a one x to a series s. No one will, the people who shelled out top dollar for a premier console will do the same. Whether it be a Xbox or PS5.

Then you say the series x is not next gen even though it contains all the bells and whistles of next gen with a slightly less powerful GPU. The VRR, ray tracing and new SSD and architecture running at 1440p and with up to 120 frames per second is next gen. This does not happen on current gen machines.

Microsoft has said multiple times it doesn't care about a console war and are just trying to get games into people's hands. Whatever way possible.

I guess I'm just excited that they are making games more available to groups of people that are largely ignored when releasing consoles.

Also congrats on your game collection. Mine is much smaller as I sold my old systems and games to be able to upgrade to new consoles as I grew older.
lol

And you are calling me a fanboy? this looks like a Microsoft press release...does it have blast processing too? I am saying games won't look better on the half assed "next gen" system. People want that wow factor when they purchase a new console IMO...look at the reactions to the games at the two press events.

If the PS5 is priced between the S and the X it will dominate again

Microsoft might not care about console wars but this is the Thunderdome
Old 09-09-2020, 06:38 AM   #110
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha ha ha dino is such a PS fanboy. Nonsensical complaining and missing the entire point of the Series S. Microsoft has a console more powerful and less powerful than the PS5. Seems to me like they have their bases covered.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 07:16 AM   #111
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Xbox Series X Will Cost $499, Out November 10"

https://kotaku.com/xbox-series-x-wil...-10-1844996362
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:55 AM   #112
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Xbox is really launching with no first party exclusive games then? Is this the first time anyone has ever even attempted that? I can't see it going well, especially if Sony can get even a handful of what they showed in the summer ready for day one / close to it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #113
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gears Tactics is launching with the console.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #114
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least people are taking the THUNDERDOME theme seriously. This thread is all about being a fanboy.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #115
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
So Xbox is really launching with no first party exclusive games then? Is this the first time anyone has ever even attempted that? I can't see it going well, especially if Sony can get even a handful of what they showed in the summer ready for day one / close to it.
Technically no games on Xbox are first party exclusives as they are available on PC.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #116
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Gears Tactics is launching with the console.
It's launching the same day as the console, but can be played on Xbox One as well, so that doesn't really count.

Like, why would anyone rush out to preorder and buy one of these, is really what I'm saying. Every game that's releasing for it this fall is also available on Xbox One and PS4. If you want the increased fidelity of next-gen, why not get a PS5, which has all the same games coming to Series X, plus a bunch of cool exclusives you can only play on it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #117
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It's launching the same day as the console, but can be played on Xbox One as well, so that doesn't really count.

Like, why would anyone rush out to preorder and buy one of these, is really what I'm saying. Every game that's releasing for it this fall is also available on Xbox One and PS4. If you want the increased fidelity of next-gen, why not get a PS5, which has all the same games coming to Series X, plus a bunch of cool exclusives you can only play on it.
I can say this again, Microsoft doesn't care if you go buy one of these systems on launch. Game pass and xbox all access is their focus. Why else would they add project xCloud for free as part of game pass ultimate? They are literally saying, who needs a console? Play over 100 games on your Android phone or tablet.

Edit: as I submitted this post I got a notification that game pass ultimate will include a subscription to EA Play later this year.

As for the Sony exclusives. The coolest game I saw in all the press was Ratchet & Clank and that is not getting me too drop nearly $700 Canadian on it.

Last edited by Since1984; 09-09-2020 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #118
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like what Microsoft did here.

As somebody else mentioned it gets somebody into the next gen even if it doesn't mean it's "fully next gen". A lot of the world economy is in the tank right now so better value could be a huge selling point for Microsoft.

I think the biggest worry would usually be the lower end model holding back the higher end model but with a pretty clear cut point this gen between 1080p and 4k that shouldn't be as hard to manage. And really especially for younger kids that maybe want the new Xbox the Series S could fill that need because the likelihood of that kid having a 4K TV where they are gaming is lower as well.

Plus Microsoft already has to build their games to support different types of hardware on PC so not like it's not already happening on their end.

To me the biggest news of the day is actually that EA Play (formerly Access) is now going to be included as part of XBox Gamepass.

Microsoft is making the value of Gamepass undeniable at this point and even though after the last gen I wasn't planning on getting a new Microsoft console the value of gamepass is making it hard to ignore at this point. They may not have the best exclusives, or as attractive exclusives as the Playstation brand, but with Gamepass I don't think there is ever a shortage of anything to play.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-09-2020 at 08:53 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #119
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Because PS5 is having issues running some games at 4k and looks like it will be only marginally better (load times should be considerably better) at best than my current Xbox One X when it comes to resolution. Series X isn't having that issue and will be the system I play all non-exclusive games and PS5 will be for only PS exclusives. Also as said by numerous posters above Microsoft is taking a bigger picture approach to this generation than just hardware.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-09-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:17 AM   #120
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I strongly suspect Microsoft Flight Simulator will be a November 10 launch title for the two new Xbox consoles. You can argue if that's considered a "first party exclusive" or not since it's already available for Windows, but all Microsoft games run on both Xbox and Windows now, so it's at least a console exclusive.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote