Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2024, 10:35 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default NHL history in a 127 years of bite sized pieces.

I thought it might be fun to look at the history of hockey. A looong time ago I did a day in history thread and had some fun finding interesting pieces of History so I thought, why not hockey might be fun to try. I don't guarantee a daily update or anything. This will truly be in bite sized pieces. As always addons and comments are always welcome. So lets get err started.

1917-1918
The NHL is formed when all of the owners in the NHA had decided that they had had enough of Toronto owner Edward Livingstone. Widely regarded as a complete jerkface, they decided they didn't want to deal with him and concocted a brilliant plan to get rid of him.
  • A meeting was called by the owners of the Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, Montreal Canadians and Wanderers and the Toronto Arenas,but Livingstone was somehow kept from the meeting. The owners created a new league the National Hockey League with Quebec deciding to take a sabatical. The NHA still existed but was an empty shell.
  • The Wanderers didn't make it through the season as their arena burnt down and they withdrew from the league.
  • Frank Calder was named the first NHL president.
  • The Toronto Areanas qualified for the Stanley Cup playoffs and played a five game series against Vancouver of the PCHL, the Toronto's won the series in 5 games being lead by Corbett Denneny to win the Stanley Cup.

Trivia
The NHL played a 22 game season
  • Montreal Wanderers' Harry Hyland scored 5 goals on the opening night.
  • Joe Malone one of the leagues first generational players switched from Quebec to the Canadians and scored 3 5 goal games in the first year and 44 goals in 20 games
  • The NHL changes a key rule from the NHA and decides that goalies will be allowed to leave their feet. This was formerly a $2.00 fine in the NHA and the penalty was called "Flopping"
  • Ottawa goalie Clint Benedict caused this rule change because he ignored the rule in the NHA and he was so darned entertaining.
  • George Vezina was the leagues best goalie with a 3.93 gaa.
  • The Habs are the first half of the season league champions and finish with a 13-9 record.
  • The Arenas won the second half and finished with a 13-9 record as well, Ottawa finishes last with a 9-13 record.
  • The Arenas beat the Canadians in a 2 game total goal series 10-7.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:16 PM   #2
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Harry Hyland was good, but he was no Newsy Lalonde.

Ironically, Georges Vezina never won the Vezina Trophy.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 11:24 PM   #3
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eddie Livingstone kind of had a reason to be a jerkface.

In 1916–17, the last season of the old National Hockey Association, the Canadian Army iced a professional team – 228th Battalion, the Northern Fusiliers. They played out of Toronto and drew huge crowds for every game.

Halfway through the season, the battalion was sent overseas and had to withdraw from the league. Rather than finish the schedule with an odd number of teams, the other owners voted to suspend Livingstone's Toronto Blueshirts without compensation. However, they demanded a $3,000 forfeit from the Army for not finishing the season (and were laughed out of court for it).

When the NHL formed, it gave the Arenas all the players Livingstone had under contract – again without compensation. Of course he sued the league, and the appeals dragged on for a decade. One of the judges declared, ‘I look on the conduct of the defendants as utterly dishonest and despicable,’ and regretted that he could find no precedent for awarding punitive damages.

There was enough jerkiness to go around in those days.

Last edited by Jay Random; 02-08-2024 at 11:26 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:01 AM   #4
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Trivia

• Montreal Wanderers' Harry Hyland scored 5 goals on the opening night.
  • Joe Malone one of the leagues first generational players switched from Quebec to the Canadians and scored 3 5 goal games in the first year and 44 goals in 20 games

think of all the million dollar score and win winners!
Old 02-09-2024, 08:19 AM   #5
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Great thread! Looking forward to learning a ton!
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:25 AM   #6
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Eddie Livingstone kind of had a reason to be a jerkface.

In 1916–17, the last season of the old National Hockey Association, the Canadian Army iced a professional team – 228th Battalion, the Northern Fusiliers. They played out of Toronto and drew huge crowds for every game.

Halfway through the season, the battalion was sent overseas and had to withdraw from the league. Rather than finish the schedule with an odd number of teams, the other owners voted to suspend Livingstone's Toronto Blueshirts without compensation. However, they demanded a $3,000 forfeit from the Army for not finishing the season (and were laughed out of court for it).

When the NHL formed, it gave the Arenas all the players Livingstone had under contract – again without compensation. Of course he sued the league, and the appeals dragged on for a decade. One of the judges declared, ‘I look on the conduct of the defendants as utterly dishonest and despicable,’ and regretted that he could find no precedent for awarding punitive damages.

There was enough jerkiness to go around in those days.
Looking for confirmation from the judges, but yes old white men wearing monocles and top hats were jerks.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 08:28 AM   #7
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

and Lombardi never won a Lombardi, kind of how it works when trophies are named in memoriam.
Old 02-09-2024, 08:29 AM   #8
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They had zombie goalies back then?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:28 AM   #9
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Looking for confirmation from the judges, but yes old white men wearing monocles and top hats were jerks.
Funny thing is, most of the owners were relatively young men and none of them were rich. George Kennedy, who owned the Habs, was a retired wrestler, and Sammy Lichtenhein, who owned the Wanderers, managed his old man's cotton and wool waste factory and ran sports teams on the side.

Livingstone was only in his thirties, but he had been an amateur coach and referee in Ontario for years, and knew every good senior player in the province. That gave him a big advantage in the lean years of World War I, when most of the established stars joined the army and went off to the trenches in France. I think some of the bad blood between him and the other owners came because they kept raiding his teams for players and he was inclined to fight back. He had a temper like Donald Duck.
Old 02-09-2024, 09:31 AM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think anyone won a trophy named after them. Partly because half of them aren't players.

EDIT: I suppose a player could have won the award that is later renamed after them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 09:37 AM   #11
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think anyone won a trophy named after them. Partly because half of them aren't players.
Didn't Dr. Dre won the first Dr. Dre award at the Grammys last year?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:13 AM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jay, I'm loving what your adding.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 10:48 AM   #13
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Funny thing is, most of the owners were relatively young men and none of them were rich. George Kennedy, who owned the Habs, was a retired wrestler, and Sammy Lichtenhein, who owned the Wanderers, managed his old man's cotton and wool waste factory and ran sports teams on the side.

Livingstone was only in his thirties, but he had been an amateur coach and referee in Ontario for years, and knew every good senior player in the province. That gave him a big advantage in the lean years of World War I, when most of the established stars joined the army and went off to the trenches in France. I think some of the bad blood between him and the other owners came because they kept raiding his teams for players and he was inclined to fight back. He had a temper like Donald Duck.
I'm impressed that you can remember so much at your age!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 11:10 AM   #14
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jay, I'm loving what your adding.
The early history of hockey has been a hobby of mine for years.

A really good source for this period is Deceptions and Doublecross: How the NHL Conquered Hockey, by Morey Holzman and Joseph Nieforth. It gets into the personalities and behind-the-scenes stuff in a way most histories don't, and really brings it to life.

The bit I quoted from the appellate judge, for instance, is in that book, straight from the court transcript. There was no such thing as political correctness in those days, and very little PR spin; these guys did not pull their verbal punches.
Old 02-09-2024, 12:15 PM   #15
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little bit of copy-editing:

Quote:
1917-1918
The NHL is formed when all of the owners in the NHA ...
National Hockey Association, for the uninitiated.

Quote:
  • A meeting was called by the owners of the Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, Montreal Canadians
Canadiens

Quote:
and Wanderers and the Toronto Arenas, but Livingstone was somehow kept from the meeting.
Livingstone owned the Toronto NHA club, who were nicknamed the Blueshirts (which is where the nickname for the Maple Leafs comes from, and why the Leafs wear blue in the first place), so there were no representatives from Toronto at this meeting.

Quote:
... with Quebec deciding to take a sabatical.
There are two 'b's in sabbatical.

Quote:
The Toronto Areanas qualified for the Stanley Cup playoffs...
Only two 'a's in "Arenas". N.B. the team was retroactively nicknamed the Arenas because the Canadian Arena Company, who owned the Arena Gardens in which the Blueshirts played, were given the Toronto NHL franchise in lieu of Livingstone. Contemporarily people still just called them the Blueshirts or the "Torontos", and the official name of the team was simply "Toronto Hockey Club". Eddie Livingstone filed another lawsuit not only against the NHL, but against the Arena Company itself, and the Arena Company surrendered the franchise back to the NHL in 1918.

The NHL subsequently created a "new" franchise, gave it to the Arena Company, and they were officially called the "Toronto Arena Hockey Club". This team was officially nicknamed "Arenas". They voluntarily withdrew from and returned the franchise to the NHL after the 1918-19 season, and the franchise was subsequently sold to its GM, Charles Querrie, before the 1919-20 season. Querrie renamed the club the St. Patricks.

Quote:
... and played a five game series against Vancouver of the PCHL, the Toronto's won the series in 5 games being lead by Corbett Denneny to win the Stanley Cup.
PCHA (Pacific Coast Hockey Association), and Corb Denneny is not to be confused with his HHOFer brother Cy (longtime Ottawa Senator).

Quote:
Trivia
The NHL played a 22 game season
They played two half-seasons, which ended up an uneven 14 games and 8 games in length. The NHA had previously played this format, with two 10-game halves, in 1916-17. The schedule got screwed up by the folding of the Wanderers only four games into their schedule. Two previously scheduled Wanderers games were automatically forfeited to the Habs and Toronto and noted as wins in their records; the games were never actually played.

Quote:
  • The Habs are the first half of the season league champions and finish with a 13-9 record.
  • The Arenas won the second half and finished with a 13-9 record as well, Ottawa finishes last with a 9-13 record.
  • The Arenas beat the Canadians in a 2 game total goal series 10-7.
It would be more pertinent to say the Habs were first-half champions with a 10-4 record, and Toronto were second-half champions with a 5-3 record. The half-season champions were the important things, because the first-half champ played the second-half champ in the two-game total-goals series for the league championship. The "overall" standings were never counted together the way you have, and were totally irrelevant to the outcome of the league championship.

Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 12:15 PM   #16
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Out of thanks but thanks for all this interesting information, Jay. And Timun! And, And CC for starting the thread. You are all beauties.

Last edited by bdubbs; 02-09-2024 at 02:08 PM.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 12:39 PM   #17
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Out of thanks but thanks for all this interesting information, Jay.
Thank timun as well!
Old 02-09-2024, 05:16 PM   #18
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Harold "Bullet Joe" Simpson of the 1922-23 Edmonton Eskimos WHL team that lost the Stanley Cup to the Ottawa Senators.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:50 PM   #19
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

1918-1919

This could be considered a bitter sweet season. World War 1 had ended but the optimism was tempered by the Spanish Flu epidemic that was sweeping Europe.

Seattle won the PCHA title eliminating Vancouver in a 2 game series outscoring them 7-5. In the East The Canadians were the first half champions with a 10-8 record. The Sens were the second half champions. In a two game series the Habs beat the Sens to face Seattle in the Stanley Cup Finals.

1918-1919 featured a key rule change as the NHL added two bluelines and permitted forward passing in the neutral zone. The NHL also put in new rules prohibiting substitutions for penalized players. Minors were three minutes, majors 5 minutes, and you couldn't substitute for a player with a match penalty. The NHL also started tracking assists.

The Canadians had to travel across the continent by train as the finals would take place in Seattle. In the first game, Seattle bombed Montreal 7-0. The second game the Canadians beat Seattle 4-2. Seattle rebounded to beat George Vezina 7 times to destroy the Habs 7-2. Game 4 ended 0-0 after 20 minutes of overtime. Game 5 was considered a classic as the Habs came back from a 3 goal deficit to beat Seattle. The series was deadlocked 2-2-1 with the cup up for grabs.

These thrilling games were overshadowed by the rapidly spreading flu pandemic, And people were concerned with such large public gatherings. Things took a turn for the worst as fans reported that the players looked exhausted and Montreal defenseman Joe Hall was rushed to the hospital during game 5. Billy Couture, Jack McDonald, Newsy Lalonde and Louis Berlinquette were bed ridden and Montreal Manager George Kennedy was also extremely sick. There was discussions around using Victoria players to step in for the ailing Montreal Players, and a week later Joe Hall died from the Flu and for the first time in history and only time the Stanley Cup finals were cancelled and the Cup was not awarded. We wouldn't see a season without a championship awarded until 2005.

Trivia
Quebec fails to state its intentions for the season and the NHL continues to be a 3 tearm league.
  • The Canadians and Sens won the first and second half season titles to fight for the NHL title. Toronto last years Stanley Cup champion finishes 5-13
  • Montreal's Newsy Lalonde wins the NHL scoring title with 21 goals and 30 points in 18 games.
  • Ottawa's Clint Benedict leads the NHL with a GAA of 2.94, he had a league worst 5.18 gaa in the inaugural season of the NHL.
  • Joe Hall leads the league in penalties with 83 minutes.
  • Hobart "Hobey" Baker considered to be one of the greatest players of his time who refused to turn professional is killed while testing a fighter planed on December 21, 1918.
  • Odie Cleghorn who was considered to be one of the toughest players of all time and used a strategy of spitting tabacco juice in opposing players faces notches 23 goals in the regular season 7 goals in the two game series against Ottawa and notched 2 goals in the Stanley Cup finals.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 07:01 PM   #20
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto actually failed to finish that season. The courts ruled that they had poached Eddie Livingstone's contracted players and arena lease, and the team filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying damages. After that, Livingstone sued the Arena Company, which owned the defunct franchise.

With only two teams left to finish the schedule, the regular season was called off early (each team having played 18 games out of the scheduled 20). The Canadiens and Senators played hockey's first-ever best-of-7 series to determine which team would represent the NHL in the Stanley Cup challenge.