Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2021, 11:06 AM   #841
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
As someone who owns an EV, I think the problem for gas is once you buy an EV it is hard to imagine going back to gas. The savings you have over 6-8 years means it is a money saving purchase. The convenience of being able to fuel up at home means you rarely have to leave your house to charge up. It would just be hard for me to imagine buying gas again. Not sure what that means for stock valuation, but I do think that gas will be getting a rapidly decreasing market share over the next 5-7 years.
Most condos and apartments in Calgary do not have the ability to charge from home. I cannot charge from home. If I go electric, I will have to charge at stations or charge at the parkade at work. I'm looking for something affordable that fills that need but it's been difficult.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:28 AM   #842
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As someone who owns an EV, I think the problem for gas is once you buy an EV it is hard to imagine going back to gas. The savings you have over 6-8 years means it is a money saving purchase. The convenience of being able to fuel up at home means you rarely have to leave your house to charge up. It would just be hard for me to imagine buying gas again. Not sure what that means for stock valuation, but I do think that gas will be getting a rapidly decreasing market share over the next 5-7 years.
This part is fascinating to me. We hear a lot of resistance from consumers who feel the purchase price is too high and want government subsidies/rebates. Yet the payoff is there and in the long run it's a wash, EV's are no more expensive it seems. People want it both ways I guess. Don't want to pay more but are quite happy to keep the savings for themselves. (not directed at you Aarongavey)
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:38 AM   #843
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
This may have been covered previously in this thread although what does your electric bill look like? That is one of the things were I pause when I think of an EV. Yes it may save me on gas although what will it cost in electricity to charge the vehicle.
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:56 AM   #844
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Electric cars sound great, except

-There are none on the market that interest me/suit my needs. There are some announced and coming but they aren't out yet.

-The ones that are out are too expensive for what you get

-Even if I got one I don't have anywhere to charge it

What about plug in hybrids? Seems like the best of both worlds to me, is there something bigger I'm missing in regards to those being more popular, or is it just basically the same reasons as my first two points against EV's?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #845
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
This may have been covered previously in this thread although what does your electric bill look like? That is one of the things were I pause when I think of an EV. Yes it may save me on gas although what will it cost in electricity to charge the vehicle.
Depends on what cars you're comparing. If you're looking at sedans, most electric cars are in the 15-20 kWh per 100 km range, so if you're paying $0.10-0.15 per kWh, that's about $1.50-3.00 for 100 km. A new gas sedan uses about 6-8 l/100 km, so that would be about $8.50-11 per 100 km.

Obviously the math can change depending on what you pay for electricity and fuel prices, but it's hard to envision a realistic scenario where electric isn't always significantly cheaper. And in some cases the above isn't a fair comparison. Some electric cars that use 15-20 kWh per 100 km have much more in common with higher performance cars that use more fuel than the numbers I mentioned above.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:09 AM   #846
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

I ordered an Audi Q4 e-tron day 1 (sometime in April), and my production date has been delayed twice, which was basically as expected.

I think the biggest issue is really going to be supply chain as EV production ramps up. I actually see the cost for an EV going UP rather than down.

Regarding cost, yeah I'd have loved a government payout, but just thinking about the cost of this car in Alberta compared to provinces that have EV rebates, the lack of a PST basically covers it.

Last edited by Regorium; 11-18-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 AM   #847
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
What about plug in hybrids? Seems like the best of both worlds to me, is there something bigger I'm missing in regards to those being more popular, or is it just basically the same reasons as my first two points against EV's?
For some that'll be a good option. They are more expensive and they don't get as much operating cost advantage vs. a pure electric since you still have to service and fix an ICE engine while electric has far less moving parts, but they could still make sense.

It'll be interesting to see if plug in hybrids stick around for some cases and markets for a long time.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:56 AM   #848
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I ordered an Audi Q4 e-tron day 1 (sometime in April), and my production date has been delayed twice, which was basically as expected.

I think the biggest issue is really going to be supply chain as EV production ramps up. I actually see the cost for an EV going UP rather than down.

Regarding cost, yeah I'd have loved a government payout, but just thinking about the cost of this car in Alberta compared to provinces that have EV rebates, the lack of a PST basically covers it.
Tesla has raised their prices several times this year. I think the model Y is now 10k more expensive than launch.

Quote:
While a $US1,000 price increase may not be the end of the world – especially on a vehicle which already costs near to $US60,000 – the real issue is the fact that at the beginning of the year the Model Y Long Range was selling for only $US50,000, and has seen its price jump by nearly 20 per cent over the year.
https://thedriven.io/2021/11/16/tesl...start-of-year/

Last edited by Fuzz; 11-18-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #849
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it really though? I guess it depends on if it's a gas guzzling SUV, or just a normal Camry or Corolla. You're paying, what $20K premium for an EV? $20K over 10 years is $2,000 of gas per year. At best, I think you end up breaking even, and that's only if you keep the same EV for 10 years.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:52 AM   #850
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Is it really though? I guess it depends on if it's a gas guzzling SUV, or just a normal Camry or Corolla. You're paying, what $20K premium for an EV? $20K over 10 years is $2,000 of gas per year. At best, I think you end up breaking even, and that's only if you keep the same EV for 10 years.
Maintenance for ICE engines needs to be factored in too. That narrows the differential a little more too.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:31 AM   #851
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Tesla has raised their prices several times this year. I think the model Y is now 10k more expensive than launch.
Raised their costs and removed handy features like radar and homelink from the model . That's not how things are supposed to work but they can get away with it. For now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:31 PM   #852
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Raised their costs and removed handy features like radar and homelink from the model . That's not how things are supposed to work but they can get away with it. For now.
I think that's it exactly. They are doing it because they can get away with it right now, because all EVs are delayed.

But you reap what you sow.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #853
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

if you have an EV:

https://www.enmax.com/news-events/ne...charging-pilot
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:08 AM   #854
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Today, there are approximately 3,000 EVs on Calgary roads.
More than I was expecting I rarely see any and if I do either a Model 3 or Y.

Quote:
80 per cent of charging occurs at 5 p.m. when electricity demand is at its highest
Are Calgary drivers stupid why would they do this?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #855
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

Are Calgary drivers stupid why would they do this?
I wonder if they include plug in hybrids?

Calgary drivers do it because there is no reason not to. Get home, plug in. Zero incentive to do otherwise.
Old 11-23-2021, 10:11 AM   #856
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

If they count Prius' and other electric hybrids I can see the number being there.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:14 AM   #857
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Generally EV means battery electric, no gas engine. Toyota is being sneaky and starting to call their hybrids HEVs so they can have the phrase electric vehicle in there.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:17 AM   #858
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I assume most charging happens at 5pm because people get home from work and plug in.

Teslas have a way to set a charging schedule, I assume other EVs do, but maybe most people don't set it or even know it exists?
Old 11-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #859
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought there were apps for chargers that can trigger them to charge on schedule? I wonder if a lot of Tesla owners are using the charger that comes with their car in their garage instead of purchasing a home charger?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-23-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:24 AM   #860
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thought there were apps for chargers that can trigger them to charge on schedule?
I'm sure there is, but what is the motivation to use them if electricity prices are the same no matter what time of day?