Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2021, 09:42 PM   #3701
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Get better at parrying. Using a shield really helps and try using off hand combos: main - main - secondary.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #3702
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m a couple hours into Cyberpunk 2077 on PC - and after spending some time in the PS4 version of the game on PS5 back around launch, I’d definitely say people should hold strong and wait for the new gen release. This game is outstanding on PC.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:22 PM   #3703
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Xbox Gamepass strikes again, Outriders will be available on launch.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2021, 09:00 PM   #3704
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

RFD and the XXX. Scalpers and deal seekers colliding about how it's still in stock.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best...ock-2451946/6/
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #3705
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
RFD and the XXX. Scalpers and deal seekers colliding about how it's still in stock.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/best...ock-2451946/6/
Best buy got a huge XSX stock influx yesterday morning, I believe it was over 6000 units. There are less than 950 left now.

Sony has only ever had that many at launch if I remember correctly.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:51 AM   #3706
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I wonder if the PS5 stock shortages compared to Xbox and the definite value advantage of Gamepass over Sony's offerings are going to get Microsoft considerable traction in this console generation, maybe even enough to give them a long-term sales advantage. I was going to buy a PS5 eventually, but I'm happy enough with my Xbox that I don't think I will bother - I had a PS4 because it had better exclusives and everything on Xbox was also on PC, but with Gamepass getting so many premier titles I don't think I can justify getting a $500-600 console and then a bunch of $80 games for the marginal benefit of those Sony exclusives.

If I'd been able to get a PS5, I'd probably have one now and not an Xbox. Sony's botched launch lasting for months and months has to be costing them more customers than just me.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:56 AM   #3707
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I wonder if the PS5 stock shortages compared to Xbox and the definite value advantage of Gamepass over Sony's offerings are going to get Microsoft considerable traction in this console generation, maybe even enough to give them a long-term sales advantage. I was going to buy a PS5 eventually, but I'm happy enough with my Xbox that I don't think I will bother - I had a PS4 because it had better exclusives and everything on Xbox was also on PC, but with Gamepass getting so many premier titles I don't think I can justify getting a $500-600 console and then a bunch of $80 games for the marginal benefit of those Sony exclusives.

If I'd been able to get a PS5, I'd probably have one now and not an Xbox. Sony's botched launch lasting for months and months has to be costing them more customers than just me.
I have said this previously, my PS5 has sat unused for the last month or two. I had fun with the few games it had at launch but nothing has kept me playing games on the PS5. Gamepass is such a selling point that I find myself finding new and fun yet stupid games to play. I am currently just wrapping up The Touryst which I would have never played if not for Gamepass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 11:03 AM   #3708
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been playing both systems pretty extensively lately. They both offer great value. GamePass has some many games to try out, and having their exclusive games available on release is a major selling feature.

I realized I've never finished a few PS5 games, so I just wrapped up God of War (looks amazing with the optimization patch), and am now starting Persona 5. The included PS5 games are a great value, especially if you didn't play them during the life cycle of the console.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #3709
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya I'm playing the PS5 way more than I did the PS4 at launch. I've gotten so many games from the PS4 collection and PS+ that it'll take me awhile to work through the backlog, and replaying some older games that are optimized for the PS5 has been fun as well. Not sure how Sony "botched" this launch, even with stock shortages they still sold twice as many consoles as Microsoft

https://www.techspot.com/news/88336-...2020-xbsx.html
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #3710
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I have said this previously, my PS5 has sat unused for the last month or two. I had fun with the few games it had at launch but nothing has kept me playing games on the PS5. Gamepass is such a selling point that I find myself finding new and fun yet stupid games to play. I am currently just wrapping up The Touryst which I would have never played if not for Gamepass.
I really enjoyed Gears Tactics and I would have never played it if not for Gamepass. It really is great for games you were on the fence paying retail for. I'm spending much more time with my Series X compared to my PS5 largely because of Gamepass.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 12:12 PM   #3711
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I had a PS4 because it had better exclusives and everything on Xbox was also on PC, but with Gamepass getting so many premier titles I don't think I can justify getting a $500-600 console and then a bunch of $80 games for the marginal benefit of those Sony exclusives.
The thing is though unless you only game on console you don't need a Series X for Game Pass. Every single Game Pass game I have is installed on my PC. There's really no point in me ever getting a Series X unless they change their strategy and start making titles non-PC exclusives.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:34 PM   #3712
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Ya I'm playing the PS5 way more than I did the PS4 at launch. I've gotten so many games from the PS4 collection and PS+ that it'll take me awhile to work through the backlog, and replaying some older games that are optimized for the PS5 has been fun as well. Not sure how Sony "botched" this launch, even with stock shortages they still sold twice as many consoles as Microsoft

https://www.techspot.com/news/88336-...2020-xbsx.html
Stock of their console has not been available to the casual buyer for 4 months now. So far as I've seen, they've also not announced or shipped any prime titles for that console since it became available. Do you think this is what Sony considers a success?

Meanwhile their direct competitor has purchased one of the premier game studios and confirmed that their future titles will be Xbox-only, expanded their Gamepass service to make it extremely attractive (and an order of magnitude better than what Sony has to offer), and made enough units available that it doesn't require setting up an alert-bot or buying off some loser on Kijiji to get one. In comparison, I think "botched" is appropriate.

Granted, part of Sony's supply problems lie in that there is greater demand. As time goes on, though, that becomes less and less relevant because people like me that settled for an Xbox have found it is actually a better experience than Sony, in every way, from a consumer perspective. These are customers they have lost, and will lose, due entirely to their own strategic failings.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #3713
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
The thing is though unless you only game on console you don't need a Series X for Game Pass. Every single Game Pass game I have is installed on my PC. There's really no point in me ever getting a Series X unless they change their strategy and start making titles non-PC exclusives.
That is a good point and an opinion I used to also espouse, however I find different styles of games just work better on different platforms. I would never play something like Stellaris on a console, but equally I have little interest in playing Diablo on my PC. It's also considerably cheaper to buy a new console every 6-8 years than build a new gaming PC every 2-3.

No company sells tens of millions of consoles to hardcore gamers. The casual gamer who plays a few hours a week is where the market is, and I think Microsoft has correctly identified that they can beat Sony there. It's entirely possible I'm wrong, but complacency has taken the kings of consoles down before, and Sony has been looking fat and sassy lately.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #3714
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really? How does someone even play Diablo on a console? That seems like the game that would need a mouse more than just about any other, besides maybe RTS or Civ type games.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:55 PM   #3715
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Exp:

Personal preference only, but it is much more fun on a console. Most likely because you don't have to click frickin' everywhere like a lab rat trying to get the cheese, but get to use the rather impressive ported controller scheme.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #3716
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Really? How does someone even play Diablo on a console? That seems like the game that would need a mouse more than just about any other, besides maybe RTS or Civ type games.
With the triggers and right analog stick for aiming as it is with most action RPGs on console. As a person that played all Diablo games on both platforms the only real drawback vs PC is mapping of skills otherwise it plays very well on consoles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #3717
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I played a ton of D3 over it's useful life. Most of it was done on PC.

I had a chance at picking it up for super cheap on the switch, and I was very impressed with how well it ran and controlled. Even when I was climbing the GRIFTs, I didn't feel like I was worse off by playing it on a console.

I still don't know why someone would rather play a shooter with a controller though, when K+M is an available option
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:23 PM   #3718
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I played a ton of D3 over it's useful life. Most of it was done on PC.

I had a chance at picking it up for super cheap on the switch, and I was very impressed with how well it ran and controlled. Even when I was climbing the GRIFTs, I didn't feel like I was worse off by playing it on a console.

I still don't know why someone would rather play a shooter with a controller though, when K+M is an available option

Ummm all three new consoles have keyboard and mouse support so I don't see what the problem is?

Last edited by Since1984; 03-16-2021 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2021, 01:35 PM   #3719
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
than build a new gaming PC every 2-3.
You don't really need to though. My PC is 6 years old and the only thing I've upgraded is the video card which was roughly the same price as a Series X.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:50 PM   #3720
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Stock of their console has not been available to the casual buyer for 4 months now. So far as I've seen, they've also not announced or shipped any prime titles for that console since it became available. Do you think this is what Sony considers a success?
So if that means Sony failed, then how did Microsoft do any better? The PS5 only launched with a few games, but the Series X didn't launch with any, and they still haven't launched any Series X exclusives 4 months later. Also if I have the option to play the same game on PS5 or Series X, I take PS5 every time simple due to the controller. Those haptics are the biggest advancement in game controllers since the analog stick IMO

I don't see how you can fault Sony, demand for the PS5 is simply far greater than for the Xbox. Microsoft didn't do anything special to make stores have more stock of their consoles, they're just not selling as fast as Sony's. And sure you can say they'll lose casual gamers now (which there is zero evidence of), but later in the year when the new God of War and Horizon games drop and there's more stock of PS5 they'll be back. I don't think it's even a question that Sony will win this generation in pure number of console sales 5 years down the road
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote