Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-29-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Taking Recording of off Shaw 'TEVO'

Hi - How can I turn my recordings on a shaw cable box (the free PVR one) into a more portable format that I could just watch on iPad or laptop? I am thinking of cutting the cable but wold like to take these with me Thanks!
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 11:42 AM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't. The recordings are encrypted on the PVR storage and that's done specifically so that you *can't* just copy your recordings, since technically that would become piracy of said content since you're not licensed to view it in that way.

Is it just a TV show or movie that you could likely download somewhere else? Or is it a specific point-in-time broadcast (such as a news broadcast) that you're looking to save?

Failing all of that, there's likely a way you could play the video and save it onto a PC using a capture device, but that will be a slow process.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
You can't. The recordings are encrypted on the PVR storage and that's done specifically so that you *can't* just copy your recordings, since technically that would become piracy of said content since you're not licensed to view it in that way.

Is it just a TV show or movie that you could likely download somewhere else? Or is it a specific point-in-time broadcast (such as a news broadcast) that you're looking to save?

Failing all of that, there's likely a way you could play the video and save it onto a PC using a capture device, but that will be a slow process.

Many thanks - it's mainly tv shows that I want to be able to view while away from the pvr. Your info has likely saved me a bunch of time! If I get more serious, I will look at capturing some of them in real-time playback sort of mode... which would be tedious, but even a few hours might be helpful to me.
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 01:47 PM   #4
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBeGood View Post
Many thanks - it's mainly tv shows that I want to be able to view while away from the pvr. Your info has likely saved me a bunch of time! If I get more serious, I will look at capturing some of them in real-time playback sort of mode... which would be tedious, but even a few hours might be helpful to me.
Are you able to use the Ignite TV app? Depending on which service you have (assuming you still keep Shaw), you may be able to use the app to view your recordings while on the go. The app also has the ability to download recordings for offline viewing (but still in encrypted form).

Last edited by accord1999; 01-29-2024 at 01:49 PM.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 02:29 PM   #5
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

there is a Telus TV app and going direct to subscription services like MAX or Crave, Paramount lets you view the world of content on the go, on a laptop, etc etc.

The telus TV app is slicker then the software they run on their PVR's.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:44 PM   #6
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Are you able to use the Ignite TV app? Depending on which service you have (assuming you still keep Shaw), you may be able to use the app to view your recordings while on the go. The app also has the ability to download recordings for offline viewing (but still in encrypted form).
Ignite TV app for offline viewing will work, but I read their post in the context that they want to eliminate Shawgers entirely (cord cutting) and thus the app wouldn't work for their needs.

I would download the shows I want to watch either directly to the phone, or I would use something like Plex Pass.
Old 01-30-2024, 09:34 AM   #7
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
there is a Telus TV app and going direct to subscription services like MAX or Crave, Paramount lets you view the world of content on the go, on a laptop, etc etc.

The telus TV app is slicker then the software they run on their PVR's.
I use the Telus app on all my tvs instead of their god awful pvrs. Aside from occasional sports stuttering it's miles ahead.

Shaw's PVR boxes are superior in every way.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 02:31 PM   #8
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ignite TV app for offline viewing will work, but I read their post in the context that they want to eliminate Shawgers entirely (cord cutting) and thus the app wouldn't work for their needs.

I would download the shows I want to watch either directly to the phone, or I would use something like Plex Pass.
Plex Pass
Don't think I'm hijacking because it relates to mobile content.
If I understand Plex Pass correctly, it provides no content but allows me to consume and/or distribute any content to any mobile device from free Plex, or any content that I 'own' that is located on my own plex server - including audio and video content.
Do I mostly have this correct?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 02:42 PM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's it, yeah. You can even offline cache the content when you have Plex Pass.

I f--king love Plex.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 02:44 PM   #10
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Plex Pass
Don't think I'm hijacking because it relates to mobile content.
If I understand Plex Pass correctly, it provides no content but allows me to consume and/or distribute any content to any mobile device from free Plex, or any content that I 'own' that is located on my own plex server - including audio and video content.
Do I mostly have this correct?
Plex itself is free and allows you to setup your own home streaming service with whatever content you have saved locally on your PC/server, which includes streaming from the internet if you're away from home. Plex Pass is their subscription service which adds a bunch of premium features to Plex, offline downloads being one of them. So if you're travelling and just want to stream the stuff you have saved at home online, standard Plex is fine. But if you don't have internet or are worried about data charges, then Plex Pass will let you use the Plex app on your phone/tablet to save local copies of your movies/shows. Of course you could achieve the same thing by loading up a USB drive with the shows you want to watch offline instead of paying the subscription fee, which is what I do
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2024, 03:12 PM   #11
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK. I dug out a 12 year old Acer netbook that I installed Ubuntu on a long time ago, and am right now trying to update to latest version. I'll install Plex, start playing and ask questions elsewhere. Thanks
Old 02-07-2024, 04:12 PM   #12
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're only using that Acer Netbook as a client, right?

Plex Media Server isn't a super heavyweight application but streaming high def and 4K will take bandwidth and GPU power, especially the latter if you plan on transcoding the media to a lower bitrate / resolution.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:47 PM   #13
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Was intending to use it as server. I recall installing it on a raspberry pi once, way back in the day.
Anyway, I will try this, just to get an idea. I have looked at those Mac minis and recall that they work great, but I have no interest in spending any money before having an idea whether or not this is for me, understanding that this cpu will have significant limitations.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 02-07-2024, 06:37 PM   #14
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'd definitely be curious to see what your performance is like, and if you disable transcoding then you could very well be just fine.
Old 02-07-2024, 08:07 PM   #15
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I'd definitely be curious to see what your performance is like, and if you disable transcoding then you could very well be just fine.
Heh
No. It's no good. Glitch and buffering.
I have an old macbook air somewhere, I Will try it. No wired connection though.
I'm liking Plex quite a bit. It's interesting
Old 02-08-2024, 02:30 PM   #16
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't have high hopes for it TBH, Netbooks are usually underpinned by those low-powered Atom and Celeron Gold processors for which the automatic spellcheck in Word is a sweat-breaking work-out.
Old 02-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Plex isn't that demanding, but yea you want something desktop or mid-range laptop grade for the CPU. And you really shouldn't spend that much time worrying about transcoding. In the earlier days of Plex it played a bigger role since many devices couldn't natively playback MKV files, which is the most popular format for movie releases. But now almost every device that Plex makes an app for can handle them, so it will direct play in most instances. Transcoding is really only useful now if you're on a mobile device and don't want to chew through your data

Also on the topic of transcoding, it's highly advised to not transcode 4K media. Not only is it insanely CPU intensive which can bring even beefy setups to their knees, a transcoded 4K video will lose HDR which will make the video look dull and washed out. If you use Plex mainly on mobile devices it's recommended to stick to 1080p, or setup 4K stuff in their own libraries
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: