Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2022, 02:00 PM   #81
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Stephen King has a new dark fantasy novel coming out next week. It’s getting great reviews so I’ll probably grab it. Right now I’m reading John le Carré’s Call For The Dead.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 02:06 PM   #82
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished the Farseer trilogy by Robin Cobb. Really enjoyed that one
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 04:32 PM   #83
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I recently found a series I read as a kid.. The Iron Tower by Dennis L. McKiernan.

Listened to it and while it was neat as nostalgia from reading it when I was young, I can't believe how much of a ripoff of LotR it is. Like search and replace names level ripoff.

I still enjoyed it so if you ever want to re-experience LotR but with different names, places, and inferior then that's your series.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2022, 09:50 AM   #84
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished Dante's Indiana, by Randy Boyagoda. It's a satire about a Canadian English professor who gets a job helping start up a Dante's Inferno-based theme park in Middle America. Funny read with some good barbs. It's the middle part of a trilogy (third book pending) but I thought it stood up pretty good on it's own.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #85
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a book about consciousness / reality / dimensions / string theory type stuff?
Old 09-25-2022, 02:40 PM   #86
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently read The Forever War, which is considered one of the great early sci fi book by Joe Haldeman. Really interesting ideas and concepts.

This made me want to read some of the other classic sci fi books from that era like Solaris, Roadside Picnic, The Stars My Destination, the Dispossessed, the Left Hand of God, Stranger in a Strange Land, A Canticle for Leibowitz etc

Luckily these older novels tend to be relatively short.

On a side note I just finished Project Hail Mary - fun read, very much like The Martian, that I would recommend... They are adapting this into a movie with Ryan Gosling and... Emma Stone?!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1509969004781203457

I love Emma Stone, but no idea how she is going to play Rocky (for those who read the book, they know what I mean).

Hopefully, they'll pull off some magic, like how Arrival was completely different than The Story of Your Life, but still worked great... Just hope they don't somehow turn it into something its not, like a romance.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2022, 11:44 PM   #87
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Can anyone recommend a book about consciousness / reality / dimensions / string theory type stuff?
Something Deeply Hidden by Sean M. Carroll is good, I find his style really good for me.

More into reality/dimensions type stuff, not going to have anything about consciousness. The book spends lots of time talking about the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics.

Brian Greene has The Elegant Universe which I think I read some of though it's from 2010, not sure if he's got anything newer on the subject. Not sure of anything newer out there about it.

Again I don't think you'll get any consciousness stuff from Greene either other than to say consciousness arises from the natural universe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 12:00 AM   #88
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Damnit Photon, I was coming to recommend Something Deeply Hidden! Such an amazingly written book. scotty2hotty you should definitely read that one.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2022, 06:51 AM   #89
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

just finished this one. It's well worth your time.

The Earth Is All That Lasts: Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, and the Last Stand of the Great Sioux Nation

"A magisterial dual biography of Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull, the two most legendary and consequential American Indian leaders, who triumphed at the Battle of Little Bighorn and led Sioux resistance in the fierce final chapter of the Indian War"

GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:10 PM   #90
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

On the first page of this thread people were talking about Dune, I've got a long holiday so bought the 6 books written by Frank Herbert.

Right now I'm on book 3 and wooo boy, what a series. This is a deep and complex series. It's political, philosophical, religious. I love it.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 12:08 PM   #91
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
Blindsight by Peter Watts. He's canadian.. crazy book
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 12:48 PM   #92
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-reading Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat. It's non-fiction about a deep-sea salvage boat off the East Coast during WW2.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #93
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished Bono's new book "Surrender". It's very "Bono" but a super interesting read, especially if you're a U2 fan.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #94
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I recently read The Forever War, which is considered one of the great early sci fi book by Joe Haldeman. Really interesting ideas and concepts.

This made me want to read some of the other classic sci fi books from that era like Solaris, Roadside Picnic, The Stars My Destination, the Dispossessed, the Left Hand of God, Stranger in a Strange Land, A Canticle for Leibowitz etc

Luckily these older novels tend to be relatively short.

On a side note I just finished Project Hail Mary - fun read, very much like The Martian, that I would recommend... They are adapting this into a movie with Ryan Gosling and... Emma Stone?!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1509969004781203457
i absolutely loved the book.

With them casting Emma Stone, sounds like a Gamora/Quill type of "connection" now.

Not sure how i feel about that, but I'd rather them have stayed a bit more true to the true Rocky. But i get how that wouldn't translate to screen so well either.

I'm excited either way. I just listened to the audiobook (after reading the book previously), and it is a must listen, even if you've read it.

I love Emma Stone, but no idea how she is going to play Rocky (for those who read the book, they know what I mean).

Hopefully, they'll pull off some magic, like how Arrival was completely different than The Story of Your Life, but still worked great... Just hope they don't somehow turn it into something its not, like a romance.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #95
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
i absolutely loved the book.

With them casting Emma Stone, sounds like a Gamora/Quill type of "connection" now.

Not sure how i feel about that, but I'd rather them have stayed a bit more true to the true Rocky. But i get how that wouldn't translate to screen so well either.

I'm excited either way. I just listened to the audiobook (after reading the book previously), and it is a must listen, even if you've read it.

I read Project Hail Mary and it was fun, and I figured it would be made as a movie, but I don't get how Emma Stone is going to pull off Rocky either.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 08:31 AM   #96
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:
Default What are you reading?

Yeah, why does Rocky need to be played a by a person? Rocky communicates musically and the relationship isn’t romantic at all. Plus the whole ammonia and pressure thing. This seems like a poor adaptation.

That was a good book, I have a thing for broken English humour. It was very similar to The Martian, but still different enough. I don’t think the movie will be as good as the book. I just don’t get the characterization of the movie version of Rocky.
Old 01-19-2023, 09:52 AM   #97
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Currently reading Quentin Tarantino's Cinema Speculation where he writes about 12 of his favourite films of the New Hollywood era. If you've ever watched him being interviewed, he can obviously be a bit grating at times, but I'll watch/read anything he puts out.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:32 AM   #98
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I read Project Hail Mary and it was fun, and I figured it would be made as a movie, but I don't get how Emma Stone is going to pull off Rocky either.
Woke Hollywood has gone too far, gave her the role when clearly it should have been Andy Serkis doing mocap!
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 04:21 PM   #99
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading The Three Body Problem trilogy in four parts. Horror sci-fi, but not horror like horror movies.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #100
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm currently on book 2 of the Flintlock Fantasty trilogy, "Wrath of Empire". It's the sequel trilogy to the Powder Mage Trilogy, set 10 years later.

I like this series unique take on a fantasy setting, choosing to put it in a Napoleonic historical tech era with some magical elements. So you get old school rifles with bayonets and still heavy cavalry, and then mix in some different types of magic users. Then add a bunch of politic intrigue.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote