Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 02:55 PM   #21
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Suikoden 1 & 2 is one of those RPG's I play at least once every 4-5 years. Last played them a year or two ago with an emulator on my Samsung tablet which worked out quite well. Looking forward to the remastered HD version on steam also whenever it releases.
BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 04:18 PM   #22
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlAcKNoVa View Post
Suikoden 1 & 2 is one of those RPG's I play at least once every 4-5 years. Last played them a year or two ago with an emulator on my Samsung tablet which worked out quite well. Looking forward to the remastered HD version on steam also whenever it releases.

The scene tied to this soundtrack piece is a masterpiece that gives me chillls. I'm especially looking for a new translation as what I've read is even better

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-05-2024 at 04:32 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2024, 11:20 AM   #23
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
You want to get vintage? I'm currently working my way through Police Quest 1 after finishing it 25 years ago. The whole PQ collection is on deck, and it's already reminding me why I fell in love with PC gaming when I was a kid. These Sierra games should be in the National Registry.
Which version are you playing? I believe they upgraded the graphics and made it more of a point & click - Police Quest 1 (VGA). I preferred the original version... but driving the car in that game could be difficult because you were driving a rectangle!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 03:07 PM   #24
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was never into RPG games as a kid, so I missed the boat on Chrono Trigger. Rectified that a few years ago when I first got into emulation, and yea I totally get why people love it so much. An absolute masterpiece
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 10:56 AM   #25
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have died of dysentery
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 11:19 AM   #26
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typing in "pick your nose" to level up your lockpicking skill . . . and you aren't skilled enough. (If you were, you could spam it to level it up over a day or two)

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 11:52 AM   #27
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was throwing out some old floppy disks from my parents place and stumbled across some Liesure Suit Larry install disks. Boy those brought back memories. I wonder how those point and click games play now. I used to have a blast playing them on the ol 486 PC.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2024, 08:07 AM   #28
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

An excellent Youtube channel for the vintage game nostalgia, Lazy Game Reviews. He just did Simcity 2000 and 3000:

https://www.youtube.com/@LGR
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 05:20 PM   #29
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

One of my all-time favourite games is Star Control II. It’s been made playable on modern hardware as the Ur-Quan Masters. You can get it free now on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2...rQuan_Masters/

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #30
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The number of times I tell myself I'm finally going to finish Super Metroid...
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 09:43 PM   #31
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Contemplating playing FF VII for the first time.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:53 AM   #32
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichozo View Post
Contemplating playing FF VII for the first time.
Do it. I did a replay a few years ago, specifically of a PC version with mods:

I would recommend installing the following mods:

Reunion Mod for:

- model overhaul (replaces the character models with non-lego ones)

- 60fps interpolated (need to turn it on in the config)

- retranslation (you can toggle it on/off in the config)

Syw mod for:

- crisp, HD backgrounds and textures

- cleaned up FMVs

Ninostyle mod for:
- character models for the main party + a few others (looks just like Nomura's concept art)

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:02 AM   #33
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently have been re-playing the X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter series, purchased on Good Ol' Games. #### I LOVE these games. Also nice to not have to worry about the floppy disks (A drives?) from the days of yesteryear, haha.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:15 AM   #34
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Knights of the Old Republic, arguably the best Star Wars story ever told. What a game. Back when Bioware meant something special. 10/10
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jerichozo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 11:14 AM   #35
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Jones in the Fast Lane is the best RPG
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrSector9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 09:48 PM   #36
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
The Police Quest series (and the subsequent SWAT games), the King's Quest series, the Space Quest series, the Quest for Glory series and the Leisure Suit Larry series are all outstanding Sierra games, and I highly recommend people get a hold of them and play them. Absolute classics.

The Police Quest series is particularly fun. You can get the entire series off Good Ol' Games (Police Quest Series) right now for $9! Worth every penny.
Space quest was just awesome as was police quest. Man that brings back memories
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 10:02 PM   #37
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Do it. I did a replay a few years ago, specifically of a PC version with mods:

I would recommend installing the following mods:

Reunion Mod for:

- model overhaul (replaces the character models with non-lego ones)

- 60fps interpolated (need to turn it on in the config)

- retranslation (you can toggle it on/off in the config)

Syw mod for:

- crisp, HD backgrounds and textures

- cleaned up FMVs

Ninostyle mod for:
- character models for the main party + a few others (looks just like Nomura's concept art)
You've sold me. I have a copy for PSX so it might be easier for me to hook that up than buy a PC and learn how to install mods.

Unless installing mods is super easy lol
Old 02-20-2024, 10:09 PM   #38
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Space quest was just awesome as was police quest. Man that brings back memories

Space Quest was my favourite of Sierra’s line up. Then I think Sim City came out and a bunch or Lucas Film games that were really good. So happy when I finished Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:56 AM   #39
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

After finishing all the SNES FF games recently via pixel remaster, I went through Chrono Trigger on the DS. Aside from a few minor differences, the DS version faithfully recreates the SNES game minus the cramped text and interface. I've played through it on the DS a few times in the past but this time I actually tried out the bonus content.

The Monster Arena was a cute idea if you like Pokemon, but otherwise just kinda boring. It wasn't too hard to get a pretty powerful monster and I didn't have to go too hard on it. Some of the higher level fights feel more luck based than skill based. I basically visited whenever I was at a time gate.

The Lost Sanctum is mind numbingly boring. I gave it a chance even when I saw how repetitive it was getting, but gave up after the 10th time switching timelines and running up and down a mountain path with some unskippable battles. It was terrible. Maybe I missed the "good stuff" but after a few hours of it I was done.

The Interdimensional Vortex was much better. There were some challenging battles and what seem to be connections to Chrono Cross (I haven't played it). The superboss at the end actually killed me once. It was nice to see a bit more about what Schala was up to since that really felt like a missing plot-thread in the main game.

Chrono Trigger is still very easy even when I self-imposed some restrictions on party member usage and skipping many optional battles. Anyone who was complaining about the lack of difficulty on Sea of Stars should probably play Chrono Trigger again to remind them about how we got there. The game is generous with money and items, so you never feel underpowered. Maybe the only real wall in the game is the Isle of Woe boss, who opens the fight with a ton of group wide damge.

I also beat the "hardest" NG+ ending on my first try when I thought I'd get wrecked due to a low level. Maybe all the awesome gear I got in the bonus content helped. I've never gotten all the endings before but I might do it for fun.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:19 AM   #40
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was a big adventure game geek, starting way back in the early 80s when I discovered Zork I. Infocom set the standard for text adventures.

Still on my Apple IIe, I got into the the Ultima series starting with Akalabeth through to Ultima IV, Quest for the Avatar, easily my favorite. Great world building, story, and the ability to ride horses, or boats, and also mix spells. Wow.

Moving to PC, I missed the early graphic adventures from Sierra, though I did play one of their later ones, Gabriel Knight, which was incredible. Again, a really great story. I knew it was a well crafted game when, for one puzzle, you had to leave a note for one of the NPCs, but the note was typed freehand. But the way the story had come together to that point, it was clear how to word the note. I remember being amazed at that.

Mostly, though, I was into the LucasArts adventure games: Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and Sam and Max Hit the Road. They knew how to make the perfect mix of puzzles, story writing, and humor.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote