Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #41
steveo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://japanesechefsknife.com/

similar knives to knife wear - a bit cheaper for the style I wanted/bought at the time.

bunch of guys I have worked with over the years ordered from this site.

Last edited by steveo; 11-14-2020 at 10:35 AM.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 09:54 AM   #42
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a decent carving/slicing knife? Just need something larger for a brisket, prime rib roast etc.

I noticed High Caliber Products had some decent prices for Victorinox and Henckls.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:09 AM   #43
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knifewear's "garage sale" is going on this week, where they sell unique and different things they've bought on trips to Japan. As part of it, they're doing a live stream to show you anything you might want to buy from the sale and answer any questions you might have (use case, steel types, weight, measurements, whatever you want). It's not only a great opportunity to get a great knife with advice from the people who know what they're talking about, but you're also supporting a local business.

I don't know if this will embed - if not it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rYAO7PD6XA - honestly, just go to this live stream and ask any question you want.

"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #44
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Knifewear's "garage sale" is going on this week, where they sell unique and different things they've bought on trips to Japan. As part of it, they're doing a live stream to show you anything you might want to buy from the sale and answer any questions you might have (use case, steel types, weight, measurements, whatever you want). It's not only a great opportunity to get a great knife with advice from the people who know what they're talking about, but you're also supporting a local business.

I don't know if this will embed - if not it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rYAO7PD6XA - honestly, just go to this live stream and ask any question you want.

I thank you for this. My wallet and work productivity yesterday, however, think you're a real #######.

Yesterday was certainly worth tuning in for anyone in the market for a new kitchen knife of almost any kind. They're doing it again today, Thursday, and Friday I believe, though in shorter time frames.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:29 PM   #45
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually ended up going to the shop and picking up a honesuki, a long petty and a couple of xmas gifts for others. There are still some amazingly cool knives available and if you need a new knife, it's a good time as they have actually discounted a bunch of stuff (which doesn't normally happen during garage sale, and the don't do black friday).

This is a killer deal: https://knifewear.com/products/masas...nt=11560783556

This is badassery for under 300: https://knifewear.com/products/masas...31873184333872

This is aligned with my personal preferences: https://knifewear.com/products/yoshi...=4370686017564

They also have an entire line of Moritaka AS knives for reasonable prices if you were interested in carbon steel, i.e.: https://knifewear.com/products/morit...30931056754736

Although if I was going to tell someone to go and buy anything as a "first good knife" right now, there is one 210mm gyuto on the table in the Calgary shop with a rounded ironwood handle that I believe is a Saji and it's one of the prettiest knives I've seen in a long time. I can't find it on the website, I think it was 470 or so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 11-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #46
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I'm still trying to figure out what one might use that Tojiro 345mm Nakiri for. Some of the most interesting knives you can get, certainly in Calgary, some going for over $1000, and all I can think about is a stupid long $89 Nakiri.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, that big Nakiri is one knife I wouldn't bother buying from them... they want 89 bucks for it, Amazon has it for 64. Just in case that 25 dollar difference pushes you over the edge (sorry) in terms of buying it.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon has had it as low as $30.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I wasn't going to buy it, I went for a (normal human-sized) carbon steel Nakiri. May still get a petty knife.

I just can't stop thinking about what someone would use it for (that literally any other practical knife with many other uses couldn't accomplish).
Old 11-17-2020, 12:57 PM   #50
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There you go... It's basically a novelty item. I have no idea what you'd cut with it. On the stream the only thing they could come up with was that it would be good for watermelon.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 12" that was given to me. I think I only ever use it for watermelon. Maybe you could use it as a pizza cutter?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #52
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Depends on the knife shape and edge... plenty of 12" (or even longer) sujihikis out there. If you do a lot of BBQ you probably want a long knife.

I find as time goes on I prefer short knives more and more. I gather that most people find they go the opposite direction, but I basically never feel like my 180mm bunka is too small.
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #53
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is my collection, all bought from Knife Wear in Inglewood (along with the magnetic stone). I do have a Henckels 8" chefs knife as well for tougher cuts (you're not supposed to use the Japanese knives for bone or anything hard). They're all incredible and I've cut myself on every single one of them. Highly recommend.

Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #54
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean technically you're not supposed to use any kitchen knife for bone or anything hard.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #55
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I do have a Henckels 8" chefs knife as well for tougher cuts (you're not supposed to use the Japanese knives for bone or anything hard). They're all incredible and I've cut myself on every single one of them. Highly recommend.
Nice stuff. However, it's worth noting regarding your point about keeping a chef's knife for cutting close to bone (obviously no knife should be used to cut through bone unless it's a cleaver), there is actually a japanese knife that is for that purpose: the honesuki.

Knifewear inglewood has these in stock.

https://knifewear.com/products/morit...honesuki-150mm

That one is the one that the staff there suggested was the best, because the finish (which only knifewear gets apparently) not only makes it so food doesn't stick as easily, but it also requires that they start with a thicker blade, so it's even more rugged for ripping up carcasses. Also, those ishime ones are carbon steel, so particularly good edge retention, and the downside of carbon (which is reactiveness and tendency to rust if not carefully taken care of) isn't as big a problem with a butchery knife, because meat isn't acidic. Plus, the handle looks like it already matches your knives.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-17-2020 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #56
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS thanks now I bought a Honesuki.

Missed the Gyuto I wanted. Sat on the fence too long, bought a more expensive one. Somehow the honesuki ended up in my cart.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 03:48 PM   #57
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Cheese wires are for hacks..... just take my money I'm to dumb to operate a knife. Sorry.
Bought it for a gift for a senior citizen that spends about 6 minutes in the kitchen a week, most of that is spent deciding what's for supper, the roast chicken from Costco or opening up a can of something.

Loves cheese and kitchen gadgets though so I'm fine spending a whole $30 on it.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #58
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
FFS thanks now I bought a Honesuki.
I really think it's a good call, if you're the type of person who likes to have a menu of tools to use depending on the job in front of you.

I mean, I bought two knives for myself yesterday and both were 150mm, which seems like an odd decision. But despite being the same length, they couldn't be any more different in function. The honesuki I bought weighs about three times as much as the petty, and while I'm sure I could cut up a chicken with the petty if I really wanted to (I do not), I would have to be careful and delicate and light with it, whereas that is simply not necessary with a honesuki.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #59
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I really think it's a good call
Yeah I mean I'm not really that upset with the decision.

In a money saving effort, I swore up and down I did not need a deba, or a honesuki. That a meat saw and shears were enough. And here we are.

Which petty did you get? I have a 120mm that I use much more than I had anticipated.
Old 11-17-2020, 04:16 PM   #60
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Yeah I mean I'm not really that upset with the decision.

In a money saving effort, I swore up and down I did not need a deba, or a honesuki. That a meat saw and shears were enough. And here we are.
Yeah, my money-saving decision is just to buy stuff that I'm actually going to use as opposed to stuff I think is cool.

I agree though, I don't think a deba is particularly necessary. Maybe I'll see something that changes my mind but frankly I'm going to use this honesuki for fish as often as ribs or chicken or anything else. And if I need something thinner for delicate filleting, well, lots of knives can do that job. A sujihiki is also pretty marginal for my needs, particularly since I don't love long knives, so I've talked myself out of going that route so far but it's probably a matter of time.

And while I understand the appeal of a super flat nakiri like the Moritaka ones but in order to justify it I'd need to find one that's lightweight and flat to the board, and in a nice stainless. I wouldn't want to deal with the upkeep from carbon that's constantly exposed to fruit and veggies. Maybe something like that will come along. I've seen some bad-ass usubas (actually they have a killer deal on one in the shop right now if anyone is in the market for that) but I'm not sure if I would want to dive into single bevel stuff, particularly for any purpose besides a carving knife.
Quote:
Which petty did you get? I have a 120mm that I use much more than I had anticipated.
Kotetsu R2. I'm pretty much slowly just buying my way through Shibata's whole lineup. If they manage to get another order of tinker tanks, I'm going to feel that hit in the wallet.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post: