Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #1201
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Really surprised the PS4 does not have 3D playback. Guess I'll keep the PS3 plugged in
you care about 3D? Must be the only one...
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #1202
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan6 View Post
you care about 3D? Must be the only one...
Not for games, but yes for movies. Bought a 60" 3D plasma and movies like the hobbit, Jurassic Park and recently man of steel have been awesome to watch in 3D. I get it is not that popular for many, but the PS3 had it, so was surprised it was taken out.

Love the system otherwise
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #1203
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
Really surprised the PS4 does not have 3D playback. Guess I'll keep the PS3 plugged in
That's weird, I thought they would have kept making 3D games. Guess it wasn't much of a seller?

So your saying you can't even use it to play 3D movies? You'll have to go with the PS3 or a Blu-Ray player
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 AM   #1204
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I pre-ordered my Xbox One on June 17 off the Future Shop website...They still haven't charged me yet...Should I be worried that I won't get it on Friday?

Also, another negative I came across for PS4 is that you can only connect 4 controllers....vs Xbox One..you can connect up to 8 controllers...

My buddies and I have like 3 on 3 NHL tournies all the times...so I guess Xbox One it is for all of them too...

Last edited by robaur; 11-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:59 AM   #1205
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I pre-ordered my Xbox One on June 17 off the Future Shop website...They still haven't charged me yet...Should I be worried that I won't get it on Friday?

Thanks.
I preordered the PS4 on June 11th from FS and paid for expedited shipping and I didn't get it until today. If you have regular shipping you may be fine as they seem to send it out earlier.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #1206
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
That's weird, I thought they would have kept making 3D games. Guess it wasn't much of a seller?

So your saying you can't even use it to play 3D movies? You'll have to go with the PS3 or a Blu-Ray player
Apparently it may be patched in as a feature, but right now no 3D movies out of the box
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #1207
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg View Post
I just hooked up my PS4 yesterday, and I have to say that I am pretty disappointed. I had troubles finding a PS3 and a Wii, so I thought I would be on top of this console release and preorder one.

Other than there are no game I really want to play right now, the no media server / DLNA support really ticks me off. Maybe it is coming, maybe it isn't, but that was one of the features I assumed it would have since it had it one the PS3.

I guess I jumped the gun a little this time around. I'm sure it will be fine eventually thought.
No offense but comments like this really bother me. Why is it so difficult for people to do a little research before they buy a product? Obviously you paid enough attention to get a pre-order in time, but you didn't think to check out the features to see which console would be a better fit for you?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #1208
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
No offense but comments like this really bother me. Why is it so difficult for people to do a little research before they buy a product? Obviously you paid enough attention to get a pre-order in time, but you didn't think to check out the features to see which console would be a better fit for you?

I would venture to guess a lot of people who buy these consoles don't read gaming sites all the time. It's logical to assume the PS4 would do most if not all of what the PS3 already did in terms of media funtionality. And its not like Sony was really actively adverstising the fact that they removed most of the media capabilities people were already used to having in the previous console. The back of my PS3 box says "It only does everything". Does the PS4 say "It only does some things"? In all the outrage against Microsoft, Sony gets away with removing basic media capabilities that people have grown accustomed to.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #1209
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I would venture to guess a lot of people who buy these consoles don't read gaming sites all the time. It's logical to assume the PS4 would do most if not all of what the PS3 already did in terms of media funtionality. And its not like Sony was really actively adverstising the fact that they removed most of the media capabilities people were already used to having in the previous console. The back of my PS3 box says "It only does everything". Does the PS4 say "It only does some things"? In all the outrage against Microsoft, Sony gets away with removing basic media capabilities that people have grown accustomed to.
A quick Google would tell you about the PS4/Xbone features, you wouldn't have to frequent gaming sites to find out which system is better for you.

It just bothers me that people don't care to look into a purchase, not just for a console but for most purchases. They just walk into the store and take whatever the sales person says as fact, when in reality they are at times misinformed or maybe just looking to make a sale.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #1210
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty cool $11,000 for charity:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/19/wh...raises-11-300/

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #1211
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

EDIT: Sale is already OVER!

Amazon.ca has a sale on Killzone or a PS4 controller for less than $40. You will see a $20 reduction at checkout.

http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Computer-E...words=killzone

http://www.amazon.ca/Sony-10038-Dual...ds=dualshock+4

EDIT - Originally thought it was $20 off an order of both. Sale is $20 off each!

Last edited by chemgear; 11-19-2013 at 02:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #1212
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I talked at length with one of the guys at NCIX.com yesterday.

There will be massive shortages of the Xbox One, unsurprisingly. Apparently Canada's allotment of consoles was recently cut in half (presumably due to production issues). Anyway, he said he will have a huge problem even delivering his existing pre-orders.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #1213
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Interesting, there was a lot of rumor and talk earlier about them having yield issues. But they are also launching in 13 countries this week versus Sony with just 2.

Still, I would have thought their pre-order allocations would have been boosted by their reduction in launch countries from 21 to 13 though. I still figure they'll press release a million plus over the weekend - 100,000 per launch country shouldn't be too difficult.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM   #1214
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehkara View Post
I talked at length with one of the guys at NCIX.com yesterday.

There will be massive shortages of the Xbox One, unsurprisingly. Apparently Canada's allotment of consoles was recently cut in half (presumably due to production issues). Anyway, he said he will have a huge problem even delivering his existing pre-orders.
It will be interesting to see how it will affect their sales in the long run if that's true. Will people just ship and not come back, or will they be upset while they wait because they want the Xbone?

I myself would be pretty ticked off, probably enough to cancel the pre-order but then I'm not much for brand loyalty.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #1215
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the guy from NCIX said even the allotment of PS4s was lower than expected. He expects it take until Christmas or so to fill all of the pre-orders. The Xbox One... it sounded like he was thinking even longer. As he said (paraphrasing), "I'd rather not be at work on Friday."

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #1216
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Are you guys buying the charging docks for PS3 hoping to use them on PS4?

Dual Shock 4 uses Micro USB (like on Android phones), not Mini USB like Dual Shock 3 on PS3.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #1217
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 patch is up today - now full HD 1080p.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #1218
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Assassin's Creed 4 on PS4 patch is up today - now full HD 1080p.
That's great news. For some reason I thought it wouldn't be up until next week.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #1219
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now I'm kind of worried about Xbox One shortages...Whats the damn point of me pre-ordering 5 months in advance if I can't get it on the first day??

I've been thinking about just going and lining up Friday morning before work and buying 2 Xbox One's from Future Shop....I'll just put them on Kijiji and subsidize my own Xbox One...if there is going to be a shortage...might as well get some benefit out of it...

Xbox One #1: Buy for $525...sell for $650 - bank $125
Xbox One #2: Buy for $525...sell for $650 - bank $125

Own Xbox One: Buy for $525 - $250 = $275 for the new console....GET AT ME BRO!

Lol.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #1220
kdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
When did Sony announce it didn't have DLNA? Looking back ... Oct. 31st? 2 weeks before launch. After spending a lot of time researching which console I wanted last month, I decided to go with the PS4. Since there was no mention of this previous to Oct. 31st, I would have expected DLNA support since it was on the PS3.

Thanks to Igottago for summarizing it perfectly.
kdogg is offline   Reply With Quote