Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #1061
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't say they are widely available. I went to three different stores today. Future shop who sold out in minutes. EB games who were sold out and sold out of a few games as well by opening. Then the Source where I finally got Assassins Creed but they only had 4 games total left. Plus they have had record preorders. Hardly seems like the picture your trying to paint EE.

Plus ghosts runs just fine for me, no lag and no freezing issues in about 3 hours of online play so far. Multiplayer is amazing compared to next gen. It took me by surprise just how big the difference is. I played the PS3 version since it's release and switching today was very noticeable. When you spin around there is no stuttering of the image and it's much easier to do long shots as you can make out every detail.

I did have trouble getting it all set up. The initial log in to the PSN took several attempts but once I got on it just hummed along. Entered codes and downloaded 30 gig Ghosts (upgraded the PS3 version) and it took an hour.

All in all, I'm very happy with how it all went today. Can't wait to try out AC 4 on this one. Heard it was made for next gen.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #1062
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I somehow just convinced my sister to get me a PS4 for Christmas. Screw spending my money.
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #1063
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I assume this image will get updated as more data comes in about various hard drive models:

You can install any SATA drive you choose into the PS4?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #1064
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind that I live in an area where many have a limited disposable income but I was doing some christmas shopping for the kids at Best Buy and Gamestop tonight so did a little talking.

Gamestop had a high cancellation rate this week and today. Very few walk ups today. I was in the store at 7:00 pm and they had oodles of systems available.

Best Buy had a similar story for this week and today. They also had ample stock tonight (despite what the website said). The guy I talked to noted that many people came in to play some demos and really just decided to wait until more games come out.

They expect something similar for the Xbox one next week.

Personally the most anticipated game for me was Fifa and while it certainly played well and better than the current gen I really wasn't blown away enough to change my decision from wait until sometime next year to now....with the usual corollary that I will happily accept presents.

And it is just one area story...the story is likely to be different elsewhere.

Last edited by ernie; 11-15-2013 at 07:13 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #1065
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
I wouldn't say they are widely available. I went to three different stores today. Future shop who sold out in minutes. EB games who were sold out and sold out of a few games as well by opening. Then the Source where I finally got Assassins Creed but they only had 4 games total left. Plus they have had record preorders. Hardly seems like the picture your trying to paint EE.
Lots of reports of people walking into places like Target and walking out with 40+ consoles left as well as other places. Everyone hits Best Buy and Future Shop but there were lots available at other places. It's not a picture it's the truth.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #1066
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to wait and see what Xbox One has in terms of Wii like games and how the TV integration works before I commit. Hate to say it but I think MS was on to something with that.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #1067
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
You can install any SATA drive you choose into the PS4?
I think it is like the PS3 where you need a certain physical size but I honestly don't know too many details at this point. Maybe these can help more?

http://ca.ign.com/wikis/playstation-...est_Comparison

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=716288
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #1068
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Lots of reports of people walking into places like Target and walking out with 40+ consoles left as well as other places. Everyone hits Best Buy and Future Shop but there were lots available at other places. It's not a picture it's the truth.
Because Target may (and i haven't seen these reports) have stock you would consider the PS4 as widely available? I'll wait until I see the sales numbers but every report I've seen indicates that both these launches will be breaking records and not pointing towards some fabricated discontent towards the launch titles that you keep bringing up.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:45 PM   #1069
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Ended up getting $480 for mine. It's for the best, to give an idea of how far back I have games still to play on the PS3, I haven't even started Heavy Rain
Old 11-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #1070
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, glad to hear it worked out.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #1071
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of reports of people walking into places like Target and walking out with 40+ consoles left as well as other places.
PS4 sales numbers are likely really good for Sony already. They announced a million locked in by Gamescom (August) and probably piled up even more in the months since. Microsoft has yet to even mention any numbers on their side - which probably says something in and of itself.

If Sony can keep stock readily available while they have this massive initial lead in mind share it will only be even better for them. Especially with Black Friday and the holidays coming up. The $100 dollar difference when both are available is going to sway a lot of families these next few months. In fact, the bigger worry for Sony is if they can't keep stock on the shelves and families are forced to choose to eat the $100 on an Xbone or wait for their system to come back in stock. That's not even mentioning the fact that the PS4 is launching in way more countries than the Xbone into 2014.

In fact, if you're a Sony fan you absolutely do want to see stock readily available this week and through the holidays. The demand is clearly going to outstrip anything that the Xbone has right now (just look at the poll results right now) and you've got the less expensive product sitting on the shelf.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #1072
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just played the first few missions of Assassins Creed IV and it was beautiful. Havana looks great and the islands are stunning. I ddidn't play the PS3 or XBOX 360 versions so can't compare the visuals but they are really great on PS4.

Plus I just tried out the friend message system and it's leaps and bounds better than PS3. Instead of the window system it opens up a conversation chain. Makes it much easier than before. In fact the whole friends system is revamped and easier to navigate. Haven't tried the chat features yet though.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #1073
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Ended up getting $480 for mine. It's for the best, to give an idea of how far back I have games still to play on the PS3, I haven't even started Heavy Rain
Lucky you. Decided to sell it at cost to a family member since it looked like there was a fair bit of oversaturation from what I could see on the market.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #1074
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's why PS4's are widely available today unlike the PS3 which was sold out for weeks after release. Launch games simply aren't very good and the multiplatform games only offer better visuals over current gen. COD for example runs better on the 360 than the PS4 so why upgrade unless you have disposable income burning a hole in your pocket.

The XB1 has a slightly better launch lineup but unless you really want the new Kinect there's not a compelling reason to get one right away either unless you have to have Dead Rising 3 and Forza you can probably wait for Titanfall which looks like the first next gen killer app.

Bottom line is last gen was about the jump to HD all this gen is about is better resolution. Not nearly as compelling.
COD doesn't run better on the xbox 360 what you smokin' have you even played it on both?
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #1075
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Well, I've really enjoyed playing Fifa on my PS4 today.

In terms of Fifa:

-It's not a massive visual upgrade, but a lot of subtle changes that all together are quite nice.
-It really brings out the physicality of soccer. I scored a wonderful goal tonight where two players and the goalkeeper all went for a cross at once. Great stuff.

In terms of the PS4 console:

-The strange shape of the console makes it easy to carry. It is thin and lightweight.
-I find it really tough to reach the option and share buttons on the controller. That bugs me, but it's a minor gripe.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 PM   #1076
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
COD doesn't run better on the xbox 360 what you smokin' have you even played it on both?
I don't smoke. It's not a secret that COD runs better on both Microsoft platforms. I was only making the point that it's not worth going next gen for games like COD that aren't really better than current gen and worse in game performance.

From Ign:
Quote:
On the current-gen versions Ghosts looks nearly identical, though I did encounter occasional framerate issues during the single-player campaign on PS3 and PS4, whereas my time with the Xbox One version was stable throughout.
From joystiq;

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/05/ca...view-g794d21b/

Quote:
A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times was a campaign scene featuring explosions and smoke that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3 but chugged on Sony's next-gen platform. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PlayStation 4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 PM   #1077
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't smoke. It's not a secret that COD runs better on both Microsoft platforms. I was only making the point that it's not worth going next gen for games like COD that aren't really better than current gen and worse in game performance.

From Ign:

From joystiq;

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/05/ca...view-g794d21b/
so you haven't seen it first hand...well I have it on 360 and ps4 and haven't noticed anything other than the way better graphics on PS4

you need to take these review sites with a grain of salt, these guys have their biases like everyone else
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 PM   #1078
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
you need to take these review sites with a grain of salt, these guys have their biases like everyone else
I wouldn't even worry as much about their biases so much at this stage - we already know Activision is rolling out a patch specifically for COD. There was a resolution and frame rate glitch on the PS4 version that most of the reviews are based on. I haven't popped that in my system yet - was it available already?

Actually, I take that back - I'd keep the well known bias of Polygon in mind. I'm guessing they'll be off one to two points off the normal deviation/range like always when the Xbone embargos are up.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1079
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Give me 1 reason why the PS4 is better than the Xbox One.

The reason can't be "superior hardware benchmark"....yeah the PS3 was a superior hardware benchmark than the Xbox 360 too.

It really shows how little people know about the gaming experience as a total living room package and how MUCH they care about price.

$100 difference....over 8 years....really??

With Kinect, Xbox Live, Satellite/Cable box plugin, voice command control, better exclusive game lineup....there is no question that the Xbox One is a better experience than the PS4...which is marketing itself towards hardcore gamers.

I'm telling you...Sony is going to let you guys down over the next few years while with Microsoft...they kept on making Xbox 360 better and better the whole time...not to mention that similar service and the games that Xbox 360 and PS3 shared played BETTER on the Xbox...

Got Forza 5, FIFA 14, NBA 2K14 coming next friday...Xbox ON!.....cant wait to plug my satellite receiver into the box and connect my entire house system.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #1080
TheChief
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I love seeing the filthy peasants flock to their nearest best buys and future shops and eb games this time of year.

It's even better knowing they have to pay to play online.

Enjoy your mediocrity !
TheChief is offline   Reply With Quote