Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #3501
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Thanks!
I've been thinking of looking into memberships, so that helps clarify things a lot.

Gonna try to get my game up first, and then maybe check out Point Grey and Marine a year or so from now. Although if there's wait times, maybe I should get on it now.

Marine has a bit of a wait, depending on which category. I don't think Point Grey has one. Capilano has a wait, but it's not as long as it was 10 years ago. Quilchena won't have a wait. Richmond has a great program now where you can do a two year trial. You get full access to everything and just pay the monthly dues. If you want to join after the two years are up, I believe there is a deal for that. The downfall is it's in Richmond, if you don't live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #3502
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Mayfair Lakes in Richmond this morning.
Had a terrible game but golfing in late October on a Monday is always a good day.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #3503
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was curious about winter golf updates from us warm climate folks. Are we able to keep this thread going? Or is the etiquette to wait until May?

I think everyone should follow Jake Hutt on insta...and I think that's solid off season chatter. Gotta keep the game fresh right?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #3504
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Not that we could this winter with COVID anyway, but do any of you have a site to recommend for stay-and-play all-inclusives? I've been searching through the usual suspects - Sunwing, Expedia, Transat - but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

What I would like is a three or four day all-inclusive where I could get unlimited golf with a few buddies somewhere warm - flights, hotel, unlimited golf. Any ideas? I can't find a good website for that.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #3505
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
I was curious about winter golf updates from us warm climate folks. Are we able to keep this thread going? Or is the etiquette to wait until May?

I think everyone should follow Jake Hutt on insta...and I think that's solid off season chatter. Gotta keep the game fresh right?

*eyeroll. Just stop with the schtick and be normal. Just post what you want to post about whatever. Yes, we are now in winter, yes you hate everything about our weather, yes you moved because of it, we get it. Just post in the golf thread if you have something golf related to post, man.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #3506
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Not that we could this winter with COVID anyway, but do any of you have a site to recommend for stay-and-play all-inclusives? I've been searching through the usual suspects - Sunwing, Expedia, Transat - but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

What I would like is a three or four day all-inclusive where I could get unlimited golf with a few buddies somewhere warm - flights, hotel, unlimited golf. Any ideas? I can't find a good website for that.

I was thinking of this as well. Might be nice to get out somewhere for a weekend if Covid restrictions allow.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:58 PM   #3507
jayswin

Exp:

Has anyone played Bludevil's simulators? Getting emails about tournies and single rounds. Would be nice to hit a few balls. $40 an hour, I believe.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:31 AM   #3508
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anything open this weekend? EC is showing a high of 20C on Sunday.
Old 10-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #3509
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post

I would bet TPC Fox Hollow will be ASAP
Old 10-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #3510
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
CTV shows a far more reasonable 10C on Sunday. I would imagine that the main impediment for courses now is snow and how much of a melt we get.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:23 PM   #3511
jayswin

Exp:

Down to 8 degrees sunday now. I doubt anyone goes through the hassle, especially since the mornings will be too cold and you can't start after like 2pm due to darkness. So they'd be scrambling to get staff in and open for like 11am-2pm tee times.
Old 10-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #3512
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Strathmore is opening on temp greens on Thursday
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:53 PM   #3513
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post
I would bet TPC Fox Hollow will be ASAP
A few years ago I played Heatherglen on a warm Remembrance Day. It's doable but no fun. The Sun never rose high enough to light the ground and the ground was hard.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #3514
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Down to 8 degrees sunday now. I doubt anyone goes through the hassle, especially since the mornings will be too cold and you can't start after like 2pm due to darkness. So they'd be scrambling to get staff in and open for like 11am-2pm tee times.
Just do a shotgun.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #3515
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Fox Hollow opening Friday on temp greens and tees
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 02:39 AM   #3516
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I only got into playing golf like a year ago. Started out with a couple trips to the range and casual games with friends. Picked up a very cheap, very old set of second hand clubs to get started with. They're just old beat up clubs and the woods are made of actual wood. Good enough for me as a beginner where my way of marking personal bests is the number of balls lost in a round. I've had many frustrating days where I just can't seem to hit the ball right, or maybe I hit one decent shot and follow it up with 2 or 3 shanks. A few times I've given up during a round out of pure frustration. But lately over the NZ winter I've found myself at the local course more and more, seeing slow and slight improvements in my game, and most of all I'm enjoying it every time I'm out there.

So now that it's spring, I treated myself to a proper driver. I went to this golf centre in Christchurch where they let you try out clubs at the driving range before buying (and this was AWESOME!) and came away with a Callaway XR16. It's a beauty, I love the sound it makes when I hit it off the tee. I can't believe the difference between this new club vs my old beaters. I played a round today and I was consistently driving around 200m (often to the correct fairway!), something I almost never did with my old driver. Ended the day with a personal best 116 (strokes, not balls lost) and I can't wait until my next day out!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 09:00 AM   #3517
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I only got into playing golf like a year ago. Started out with a couple trips to the range and casual games with friends. Picked up a very cheap, very old set of second hand clubs to get started with. They're just old beat up clubs and the woods are made of actual wood. Good enough for me as a beginner where my way of marking personal bests is the number of balls lost in a round. I've had many frustrating days where I just can't seem to hit the ball right, or maybe I hit one decent shot and follow it up with 2 or 3 shanks. A few times I've given up during a round out of pure frustration. But lately over the NZ winter I've found myself at the local course more and more, seeing slow and slight improvements in my game, and most of all I'm enjoying it every time I'm out there.

So now that it's spring, I treated myself to a proper driver. I went to this golf centre in Christchurch where they let you try out clubs at the driving range before buying (and this was AWESOME!) and came away with a Callaway XR16. It's a beauty, I love the sound it makes when I hit it off the tee. I can't believe the difference between this new club vs my old beaters. I played a round today and I was consistently driving around 200m (often to the correct fairway!), something I almost never did with my old driver. Ended the day with a personal best 116 (strokes, not balls lost) and I can't wait until my next day out!
I love hearing these stories. I've probably been to the driving range you went too in CHCH, as my gf's parents are from the area.

When I go there I play Russley GC or Pegasus. Both are great tracks.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rutuu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 AM   #3518
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post

If you can afford it, I'd recommend looking into newer irons and decent wedges as well.

Club technology is so advanced now, the using 20 year old clubs vs recent clubs can make a huge difference.
Get something with a lot of forgiveness and you may find a noticeable difference from what you've been using.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 01:40 PM   #3519
jayswin

Exp:

For anyone interested in golfing but wanting no part of temp greens, I drove by Heatherglen and they are working hardcore on the greens there. I don't know what they've announced if anything, but it looks they're making a huge effort to open with greens.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:02 PM   #3520
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Fox Hollow opening Friday on temp greens and tees
Played TPC Fox Hollow yesterday for the first time ever.

It was basically a glorified range session, but got a good feel for the layout. Front 9 is kinda blah, but the back 9 was pretty fun. I'm looking forward to giving it a shot next year.

The course didn't seem nearly as awful as people say it is, might be the greens? From what I could see the tees and the bunkers looked playable and the fairway was in decent shape.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow