Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-21-2020, 06:47 PM   #2761
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

My big axe to grind is the zombie kid playing Lex Luthor. It was an objectively bad casting choice.

I dont really care about the Leto thing. Wouldn't have been my choice but we also weren't given much to base an opinion on.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #2762
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Hated Leto as the joker. Leto is just too self-absorbed to understand how the Joker should actually be played. His portrayal was almost like a 70s era Batman gang-leader enemy mixed with modern goth/edginess. Leto seemed far more interested in his costume and makeup than the character.

I do think Leto has acting ability though, and hope he watches Phoenix's Joker to see how the character should be handled.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #2763
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Leto Joker was doomed from the outset. All I can think of with that character was the scene where he was in the room full of knives that were fanned out away from him. In what world does the Joker have the patience or desire to sit in a room and delicately and artistically array these things? The Joker has a lot of problems, but OCD isn't one of them.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:18 PM   #2764
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The Leto Joker was doomed from the outset. All I can think of with that character was the scene where he was in the room full of knives that were fanned out away from him. In what world does the Joker have the patience or desire to sit in a room and delicately and artistically array these things? The Joker has a lot of problems, but OCD isn't one of them.
The Joker isn't all about the gram?

Leto clearly is.

Despite my Leto bashing, I'm actually curious to see how he handles Morbius. I actually really like the vast majority of his acting work.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:26 PM   #2765
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ranking Joker actors:

Ledger
Hamill
Phoenix
Nicholson
Romero
Galifianakis

Leto
Old 10-24-2020, 04:28 PM   #2766
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Ranking Joker actors:

Ledger
Hamill
Phoenix
Nicholson
Romero
Galifianakis

Leto
Don't forget Michael Emerson from Dark Knight Returns, I thought he did a great job.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #2767
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Paging troutman

https://twitter.com/user/status/1320772684708564992
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #2768
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I like that, he's good. One of the bright spots from the sequel trilogy.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:11 PM   #2769
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today, Warner Bros. announced that Wonder Woman 1984 will be released on Christmas Day in any theatres that are still open and also on HBO Max.

With Bell's licensing agreement for HBO Max content, hopefully that means it will be available on Crave that day as well.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:17 PM   #2770
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Today, Warner Bros. announced that Wonder Woman 1984 will be released on Christmas Day in any theatres that are still open and also on HBO Max.

With Bell's licensing agreement for HBO Max content, hopefully that means it will be available on Crave that day as well.
Not that I know what it means for WW84 but Witches with Anne Hathaway was released on HBO Max in the US but not in Canada since more of our theatres are still open. It has not yet shown up on HBO.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2020, 11:45 PM   #2771
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Bad news folks. Statement from crave.

As Warner Bros. has indicated, Wonder Woman 1984 is scheduled to be released theatrically in Canada on December 25th, and will stream on Crave following its standard theatrical windows. The film will only be available on HBO Max in the United States.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 09:28 AM   #2772
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's so disappointing, honestly I don't feel safe going to the theater today unless cases drop. Looks like I'm going to have to avoid spoilers until it comes out on 4K
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:10 AM   #2773
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Bad news folks. Statement from crave.

As Warner Bros. has indicated, Wonder Woman 1984 is scheduled to be released theatrically in Canada on December 25th, and will stream on Crave following its standard theatrical windows. The film will only be available on HBO Max in the United States.
Well, by doing this they are ensuring the rest of the world will be downloading it from the library.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2020, 02:43 PM   #2774
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

This is one movie I just don't care about. I tried watching the first one again, did not like it. I liked BvS and Justice League more than WW.

Chris Pine was good I guess.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:04 PM   #2775
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

WW84 looks quite a bit better than WW, in my opinion. More interesting villains with better performers.

WW was good until Ares was revealed to be super lame.

Or maybe it’s just that first trailer tricking me, as it made it look super awesome. The newer ones not so much.
Old 11-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #2776
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

DC is definitely benefiting from having more time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:05 PM   #2777
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever you do, don't go back and re-watch Aquaman. The initial charisma of the cast doesn't bridge into a second viewing, and the horrible writing really comes to the forefront. It's possible that if you watch it eight or nine times, it could start to verge into 'its so bad its good' territory, but it's not really worth the gamble.

Such a great cast though. And the entire Geoff Johns storyline jammed into one movie! All they had to cut out was the charm, and it was easily replaced by Baby Aqua!
Old 11-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #2778
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't even really enjoy it the first time. And I'm somewhat of a DC apologist.
Partly because all that hair moving in the water was weird and distracting.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #2779
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Whatever you do, don't go back and re-watch Aquaman. The initial charisma of the cast doesn't bridge into a second viewing, and the horrible writing really comes to the forefront. It's possible that if you watch it eight or nine times, it could start to verge into 'its so bad its good' territory, but it's not really worth the gamble.

Such a great cast though. And the entire Geoff Johns storyline jammed into one movie! All they had to cut out was the charm, and it was easily replaced by Baby Aqua!
I remember watching it the first time and it took forever. It just wasnt very interesting.

James Wan did the best he could, but you cant make bricks without clay. It just wasnt great. I've certainly never felt the urge to go back and watch it again.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #2780
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I remember watching it the first time and it took forever. It just wasnt very interesting.

James Wan did the best he could, but you cant make bricks without clay. It just wasnt great. I've certainly never felt the urge to go back and watch it again.
I went back and read the New 52 storyline where a lot of this was lifted from, and there were two things that irritated me immediately. 1) the shoehorning in of an origin story. Imagine no unnecessary training montage, no weird CGI de-aging, and difficult to explain mythology. They could have just jumped right in and explained that he has been exiled. 2) eliminating the throughline of all of the humans dismissing Aquaman as a joke as he lives among them, even as he saves their lives. It's so entertaining, and Aquaman tries so hard. At one point Mera is arrested on a suspected misdemeanor and she spends a few hours being horribly irritated.

Jamming many stories into one movie is such a Snyder move, too.

The Trench storyline, and going to find the original Kings weapon, while his absence leads to the loss of Atlantis and his brother attacking the surface world. Movie #1.

Movie #2, can start to get crazy, but there's no reason to go into it because about half has been ruined by the first movie, and the other disjointed half will show up in the sequel, and there's no reason to tell too many spoilers.

I'm guessing that they left out the politics in the story because they thought that it would be boring, and instead plunked in a octopus drummer and two random space battles underwater. So very frustrating. The actual story as written in the comics was very charming. And taking out some of the fantastical elements in favor of some Games of Thronesy intrigue over the control of the Throne would have been so easy.

Anyway, DC leaves a lot of money on the table.