Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 01:36 AM   #6201
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
And people seriously think we should be selling the farm for this guy? Hard pass. He’s overrated and anyone who acts like that isn’t worth trading for. I’d rather keep Monahan.
Not saying sell the farm. However if it means mony plus a pick, it’s the worth gamble. Because right now we are too good for a great first round pick and too bad to the win the cup. No risk, no reward. Take the chance, bring him here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameyMcFlameFace For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #6202
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

You are actually suggesting adding to .76 point per game team guy Monahan, who has earned a letter in a hockey market, plus asked coaches to help him develop his team game, for .66 point per game guy who disrespects his coaches and teammates?

“He could be good... you know, if he feels like it”

It’s at best a stupid gamble
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #6203
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Monahan is pretty clutch with his finishing ability. I dont see how they get that much better losing him. If there isnt a deal where you get both its not worth it imo. Money does try and seems to have committed to rounding out his game. I think Money is more coachable. PLD isnt a complete player either and I'm not sure hes going to get there with that attitude.
The Following User Says Thank You to Psytic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 01:46 AM   #6204
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Monahan is pretty clutch with his finishing ability. I dont see how they get that much better losing him. If there isnt a deal where you get both its not worth it imo. Money does try and seems to have committed to rounding out his game. I think Money is more coachable. PLD isnt a complete player either and I'm not sure hes going to get there with that attitude.
Exactly. What kind of message would Calgary send by rewarding that a-hole?

Grown up organizations shouldn’t tolerate that nonsense. Character matters
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 01:51 AM   #6205
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
And people seriously think we should be selling the farm for this guy? Hard pass. He’s overrated and anyone who acts like that isn’t worth trading for. I’d rather keep Monahan.
He quit on his team. You can see PLD going through the motions. In fact he made no attempt to battle Tyler Johnson for the puck.

We don't need that attitude on our team.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:17 AM   #6206
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry but 3 years of hard work by Dubois out weighs one horrible lazy shift. We've seen lazy stuff from Ovechkin and i'm sure you'd all gladly have him as a Flame.

PLD is clearly available and has PPG #1C potential written all over him. We should absolutely be inquiring. No, that does not mean sell the farm but this team needs a shake up. Don't forget what happened to us this past summer just because we're off to a decent start this season. Only 3 years into his career he's a proven playoff performer.

Put me on board
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 05:43 AM   #6207
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

We’ve had our entire team quit on a few coaches... I wouldn’t be concerned about what’s going on between Torts and Dubois long term. If the player truly has an attitude problem then everyone in the league already knew about it, they all interviewed him a few years ago.

That being said, this team looks revitalized, seem to be clicking with a coach FINALLY, so I see there being no possibility whatsoever that Treliving would be involved in this mid season.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #6208
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The shine is off Dubois and his value is going to take a massive hit because of what is going on there. Torts is just as responsible for the mess there. I think Dubois is a risk worth taking, but you really have to hedge your bets now. I would be looking at a deal of Hanifin and Bennett for Dubois and Savard and call it a day. Maybe kick a 2nd in, but not much beyond that. Risk is pretty low in that deal but the potential payoff is big. This is the type of deal Treliving should be pressing right now and trying to get done.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #6209
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
The shine is off Dubois and his value is going to take a massive hit because of what is going on there. Torts is just as responsible for the mess there. I think Dubois is a risk worth taking, but you really have to hedge your bets now. I would be looking at a deal of Hanifin and Bennett for Dubois and Savard and call it a day. Maybe kick a 2nd in, but not much beyond that. Risk is pretty low in that deal but the potential payoff is big. This is the type of deal Treliving should be pressing right now and trying to get done.
You know what, this makes alot of sense to me. I like the rationale, and the proposal is pretty spot on. I think Bennett is the kind of player that Columbus would want as well, who knows maybe they get more consistency and production out of him.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #6210
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

This reminds me of ROR. Same kind of stuff was being said about him about not being a winner etc.

I am 100% on board with bringing in PLD.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #6211
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve stated before that Columbus is in no rush to trade PLD. Starting to think that they should probably do a trade sooner than later. PLD had just over 3 minutes of ice time yesterday. I do applaud coaches that bench players when they are not up to snuff, but I think Torts is going to the extreme. He played all 3 minutes in the first period and was benched the entire rest of game. You can’t tell me that somewhere between first period and overtime PLD didn’t deserve a chance to redeem himself. I’m still willing to trade Mony for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 06:52 AM   #6212
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

They will fire Torts before trading PLD.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:12 AM   #6213
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
This reminds me of ROR. Same kind of stuff was being said about him about not being a winner etc.

I am 100% on board with bringing in PLD.
I dont recall ROR mailing it in and purposely not giving an effort.

Have a link?

Im certainly not opposed to acquiring the guy because his upside really is intriguing, but there HAS to be at least a red flag attached now if not a full on pause for concern.

If he does this now....what is to stop him from doing it again?

Obviously BT needs to find out what the issue is but that may be difficult beforehand. Which in turn really has to have him questioning how far down the trade road he is willing to go.

Last edited by transplant99; 01-22-2021 at 07:17 AM.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #6214
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I dont recall ROR mailing it in and purposely not giving an effort.

Have a link?
Comeon dude, I said it "reminds me".. doesn't mean there is an exact same play out there. ROR had his fair share of criticism from fans. Especially after the below comments when many put the blame on him because the team he played for never showed good results.

Here is a link where ROR lost his love for the game: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...losing/sn-amp/

Maybe PLD feels the same way? Over the past couple of years, the Jackets could not sign/extend: Bobrovsky, Panarin, Anderson, Duchene, Dzingel.. why would anyone want to stay there?
Old 01-22-2021, 07:31 AM   #6215
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
They will fire Torts before trading PLD.
Highly doubt that. Columbia will be trading PLD , it’s just a matter of when. No sense firing coach and trading player, unless rest of team tunes him out.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #6216
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Comeon dude, I said it "reminds me".. doesn't mean there is an exact same play out there. ROR had his fair share of criticism from fans. Especially after the below comments when many put the blame on him because the team he played for never showed good results.

Here is a link where ROR lost his love for the game: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.spo...losing/sn-amp/

Maybe PLD feels the same way? Over the past couple of years, the Jackets could not sign/extend: Bobrovsky, Panarin, Anderson, Duchene, Dzingel.. why would anyone want to stay there?
Yes...losing sucks. I get it. What you want from players in that scenario is to try and be better...not go out and skate around with the intensity of a stoned 60 year old.

There is a difference between being discouraged at how bad a team is and giving up on said team. Thats all Im pointing out. Besides it is a fans narrative that because a player has played on bad teams his whole career that he is in fact a bad player himself. ROR and Jay Bouwmeester being two examples of how silly that thought is.

As for the Jackets not signing those guys you listed....they were UFA's. Free to chase the money, which they so chose to do and never asked for a trade. Happens to every team in the NHL. Does Calgary suck because Brodie chose Toronto? Just part of the deal for everyone.

And again...i like PLD. His upside is staggering IMO but only IF he is wanting to get there and whatever his issues are.....are not personal. Apparently the issue is not between coach and player but no one knows because he wont tell them.

Quote:
Tortorella said Thursday he’s not coaching Dubois any differently now from how he did before the trade request was placed.

Sources close to Dubois have said the relationship between Dubois and Tortorella, though at times choppy and confrontational, is not the direct reason he has asked to be traded.

“I’ve coached Luc like this for a couple years, as far as trying to get some growth in his game, growth as a pro,” Tortorella said. “Nothing changes here. There’s more spotlight on it. I get that.

“I get you guys have to ask me the questions, but I think you’re asking the wrong guy. I’m just a coach, trying to make it work with the hockey club, trying to find a way to win games. The person you keep asking me about, you should ask him.”

“We’ve had our talks with Luc,” Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno said. “He’s one of us until told otherwise. We’ve said that out loud, and that’s the way it is. We don’t treat him any differently.

“You guys are looking for a big story. He didn’t play tonight, so I get that tensions are high. But for us, I’ve got 20 other guys on the team to worry about.”
https://theathletic.com/2338448/2021...a-benches-him/
Old 01-22-2021, 08:03 AM   #6217
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like how Dubois played either. But a much more seasoned Doug Gilmour quit on his team and another team acquired him for pennies on the dollar. Now I don't think much of Gilmour as a person but from a hockey perspective it worked out rather well for him and his new team.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #6218
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
If you’re going for it this proposal is more sensible to me. I like Bennett for playoffs Bennett but gotta give to get.

I’m more commenting on the Torts is equally responsible stuff... we just don’t know that. Heck this morning on radio they were saying Torts wasn’t even alleged to be the issue with Dubois in the first place. There is something weird going on here with this guy and before you make a trade you have to understand what the problem actually is or you’re playing with fire pun intended.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:11 AM   #6219
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

With everything going on in the states, I wouldn't want to be there either. Some other players on that team are Trump supporters and might make things tough in there, who knows.

If he clearly doesn't want to be there, he won't play well. That doesn't mean he won't play well anywhere.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:21 AM   #6220
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't get the 'Trump supporters' talk. Like, who the #### cares? So a couple team-mates have moronic political views - that's been the case on pretty much every team ever.

Unless they are hazing their team-mates and trying to recruit others, what kind of special snowflake do you have to be for it to ruin your ability to hockey?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread