Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #221
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 5-4 OT win! Monahan hattrick, Frolik OT winner!

I still like what Versteeg brings to the team on many nights. He’s had some boneheaded moments this year but he has a decent ability to keep control of the puck and make plays in the O-zone when he’s on. I think it’s confidence at this stage, more than anything. He kind of got relegated to the wasteland 4th line there for a while and it’s tough to climb out of that sludge once you’re there.

Just as important though is the scrappy factor. That Elliott chirp is the perfect example of the sort of game-within-the-game stuff that Versteeg brings that can help to get another team irritated and off their game. Still not unhappy with Steeger at all on that contract.

Last edited by Max Cow Disease; 11-18-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Max Cow Disease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Cow Disease For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #222
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #223
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_devil View Post
No ATL? Or did I miss it.. Like I did this game
Gaskal posted earlier that he was volunteering at the library so the ATL would be quite late today
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cuz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:17 PM   #224
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Smith is a dapper Gentleman and he deserves a break.

One of my major concerns were the commentators mentioning that he looked gassed as Overtime started.

Lack has to start carrying some mail.

That game was wild, we take the 2 points after the Detroit fiasco and roll on, but there are still a lot of warts that need to be cured.
LOL at the clerk behind them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:18 PM   #225
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Gaskal posted earlier that he was volunteering at the library so the ATL would be quite late today
It's just like that selfish piece of crap to shirk his responsibilities and not think of others.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #226
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Around the League Report

Spoiler!
#22, 300 MPH Blues, 3thirty, 420since1974, 442scotty, Allos, Alpheus, Anduril, automaton 3, aznazz, bax, belsarius, BeltlineFan, ben voyonsdonc, Bezer, Biff, bigrangy, BigT112, BloodFetish, bob-loblaw, Brendone, Bunk, Buzzard, bzoo02, Caged Great, calgaryboy, CalgaryFan1988, Cali Panthers Fan, carom, Chonger, CKPThunder, Clever_Iggy, CofR, ColoradoFlamesFan, corporatejay, CrazyCaper, CsInMyBlood, csnarpy, Cuz, D as in David, DaQwiz, dash_pinched, deejay829, delayedreflex, DeluxeMoustache, Demaeon, devo22, DigitalCarpenter, dino7c, dissentowner, Domoic, drewtastic, dying4acup, DynamRyan, edslunch, FacePaint, Fan in Exile, Fan69, Flambé, Flamboyant 14, FlameFan21, Flames Fan, Ph.D., FlamesFanTrev, FlamesNation23, FLAMESRULE, Flamezzz, flame^thrower, FlatLandFlamesFan, ForeverFlameFan, foshizzle11, Frequitude, Gaudfather, Gaudreau is a Ninja, getbak, GirlySports, GoFlamesGo89, Gondi Stylez, GreatWhiteEbola, GreenHardHat, GreenLantern2814, greentree, Greybeard, Groot, handgroen, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hitman88, HockeyKhan, Homeslice, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, IGGYFORMVP, IgiTang, ignite09, IliketoPuck, Inferno099, Insufficient Funds, J79, jaikorven, jayswin, Jbo, Jetfire, jg13, JohnnyTitan, kbvall, killer_carlson, KipperRules, kkaleR, KootenayFlamesFan, Lanny'sDaMan, Large11, LChoy, Lil Pedro, Lord Carnage, Mazrim, megatron, midniteowl, Mike F, mikephoen, MoBiBu, MolsonInBothHands, Monahan For Mayor, Moneyhands23, Mustache, N-E-B, nomad, OldSam, P-Rugby, Phaneuf, Poe969, prarieboy, Press Level, psyang, puckedoff, Puddy27, PugnaciousIntern, Puppet Guy, Radio, redflamesfan08, redforever, RedHotC, Redrum, Roast Beef, robbie111, Robbob, roberts10, robertsfanatic, Robo, Rubber Ducky, Rubicant, Samonadreau, savardandjokinen, Savvy27, sec304, Sgrath, Shawn_Cronin44, Slacker, SnipeShow, Snuffleupagus, SOMBRI2, StAlbertFlame, Star-Lord, stazzy33, Steveyoto, StrykerSteve, taxbuster, TBone290, terryclancy, The Hendog, the2bears, TheScorpion, Thor, Titan, Trailer Fire, trublmaker, tvp2003, UKflames, Vulcan, Wastedyouth, WhiteTiger, WinColumn, wwkayaker, You Need a Thneed, Yrebmi, ZedMan, Zoller, zukes
Old 11-18-2017, 06:22 PM   #227
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

See? All he needed was some tough love.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:24 PM   #228
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Kinda nice that the special teams can (and should) get better, Brodie has had a poor start, the backup goalie situation is still a question mark, the bottom 6 hasn't helped much in the offense department, etc.......

........and the team is still 11-8. And have won 6 out of their last 8. And the players know they can be much better.

If they're still working through some kinks and are sitting at 11-8 things could be much, much worse. Start with improving the horrid PK and go from there.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #229
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Brodie with 2 assists including one on the GWG.

Leads Flames D with 14 points in 19 games and only 4 back from leaders Pietrangelo and Klingberg.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:35 PM   #230
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Funny how Elliott looks like a decent goalie now that he no longer has the best defence in the league in front of him.
Quote:
Of course Elliot would crap the bed against his former team.
#OilersFanLogic
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #231
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post

Leads Flames D with 14 points in 19 games and only 4 back from leaders Pietrangelo and Klingberg.
Okay, while true, this is one of the few games I've watched from start to finish and I can tell you that despite production Brodie is struggling.

Hes not terrible and hes not a bum and he hasnt forgotten how to hockey, so theres something else and someone who isnt me really should figure out what that is and address it.

Right now Brodie is operating at maybe 50% and thats being generous.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 PM   #232
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary.

The Martin Erat of teams.
lol

What does that even mean?
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:55 PM   #233
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but...

Did Versteeg actually say F--- You Elliot??!

https://streamable.com/t2gxe
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #234
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 07:07 PM   #235
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay, while true, this is one of the few games I've watched from start to finish and I can tell you that despite production Brodie is struggling.

Hes not terrible and hes not a bum and he hasnt forgotten how to hockey, so theres something else and someone who isnt me really should figure out what that is and address it.

Right now Brodie is operating at maybe 50% and thats being generous.
Agree he is not at the top of his game, and I don't think he and Hamonic look comfortable as a pairing. But I see a few slips here or there rather than an overall poor body of work

Felt worthwhile to point out a positive

I wonder if either of Hamilton or Hamonic can play their off side comfortably
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #236
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcli View Post
Pulled out a win after training all game. Good character win, but please jettison Stajan to Stockton and keep him there !!
No. There is no good reason to jettison Stajan to the AHL. He can stay in the press box for the entire rest of this year or the balance of the rest of this year.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #237
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Wish I could find a clear shot of Jagr's costume.

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #238
Duffalufagus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Nice point total. Would be even sweeter if he wasn’t such a defensive liability.
Duffalufagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duffalufagus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #239
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agree he is not at the top of his game, and I don't think he and Hamonic look comfortable as a pairing. But I see a few slips here or there rather than an overall poor body of work

Felt worthwhile to point out a positive

I wonder if either of Hamilton or Hamonic can play their off side comfortably
Over the last 3 games, the negatives of Brodie have far outweighed the positives in his game.

It's getting to a point where T.J could use a night or two off, until you consider that the other option to draw in for him right now is the tank commander (Bartkowski).
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #240
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brodie's fine. His plus minus in the Detroit game just made people over-fixate on small valley in a season of peaks and valleys. I bet if you looked back at his East coast road trips over the years he has played his worst hockey during them. He plays his best hockey in conference games and playoff games IMO as he has a better internal scouting report. He idea that he needs a night off is just sendationalism at its finest.

That said we are misusing him. He is not a shooter yet we have him manning PP1 as the point option. He is a great skater and elite stretch passer yet we have him playing D-to-D with Hamonic and making 10 foot passes to our wingers. He is incredibly deceptive and accurate on his backhand yet we have him play his strong side where he telegraphs plays more often.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: