Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #801
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Some people just have an agenda and make up their minds long before any given result tell them they should.
That cuts both ways.

But let's keep policing other posters here on the way to be True Fans. Sure, it's never worked in the past. People on this forum still have an infuriating habit of following the Flames in whatever way suits them. Maybe we just have to up the dosage of shaming and conformity. That'll probably work.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #802
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That cuts both ways.
So people who don't say that the coach gets all the blame for failures and none of the credit for successes are just as bad as those who do?

Interesting standard.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #803
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't care about Glen Gulutzan's;
  • System
  • Process
  • Strategy
  • X's and O's

At this point in the season Glen has one job... to get this team so absolutely fired up that they beat the crap out of Ducks, on the Flames own terms, from the first second of Game 1. Glen needs to get every single member of this team so riled up and confident in themselves that they come out of the gates and dominate the Ducks with mental toughness, offence and passion in the first game, right from the first shift.

The first game of the year was an example of the opposite. Players weren't in it, weren't ready, we tried to get to cute with player selection and line combo's and got annihilated.

Go out there with pride and a team identity and they can beat the Duck's (and any other team in the league). Try to be too cute, try to play the other team's game or be too smart/strategic and this team will falter. Glen's sole job right now is to motivate his guy's and get the passion out of them.
Clarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 11:13 PM   #804
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beating the crap out of the opposition IS playing the Ducks' game. The Flames need to use their speed and skill effectively – and that requires system, process, strategy, X's and O's.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:02 AM   #805
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkey View Post
...Glen's sole job right now is to motivate his guy's and get the passion out of them.
No, it is not. Gulutzan's job is to keep the team focused, playing smart and ultimately to win. Getting the players "riled up" is likely not a recipe for success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 06:20 AM   #806
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't care about Glen Gulutzan's;
  • System
  • Process
  • Strategy
  • X's and O's
Other than matchups, above is the only role of the NHL coach. Having them prepared
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:16 PM   #807
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Beating the crap out of the opposition IS playing the Ducks' game. The Flames need to use their speed and skill effectively – and that requires system, process, strategy, X's and O's.

When I wrote riled up I meant get them motivated and ready to go, not to try to goon it up.

This has to be from the FIRST shift. If they're not ready, they will lose and it's Glen's main job to get them mentally ready.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #808
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I wrote riled up I meant get them motivated and ready to go, not to try to goon it up.

This has to be from the FIRST shift. If they're not ready, they will lose and it's Glen's main job to get them mentally ready.
If Flames players are not motivated and energized for the first game of the playoffs, the team has the wrong players.

His job is to make sure they are provided with ...and focused on a winning game plan that has total buyin and to be an excellent bench manager.

He is also expected to make in game adjustments as deemed necessary.

Period.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:48 PM   #809
Clarkey
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

One job Glen.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:03 PM   #810
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
No, it is not. Gulutzan's job is to keep the team focused, playing smart and ultimately to win. Getting the players "riled up" is likely not a recipe for success.
Gulutzans job is to pull the right levers at the right times to win the series. Sometimes you need more emotion, sometimes more focus.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #811
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Interesting Tidbit:

Quote:
The last time all three of the Calgary Flames organization’s NHL, AHL and ECHL teams made it to the postseason was 2006-07 (Calgary Flames, Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights, Las Vegas Wranglers)
Coach of that Las Vegas Wranglers team was Glen Gulutzan
http://stocktonheat.com/news/heat-cl...r-bakersfield/
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 AM   #812
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tonight I felt really drove home the point that Gulutzan is not a good leader. This team's resiliency when something goes wrong is nonexistent.

Also considering it's the playoffs, this is the time to play your top lines as much as you can. Why are your bottom lines getting 15/20 minutes? How is that a recipe for success when each loss gets you closer to the end of your season? There's no need to conserve energy because no other team is at this point.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM   #813
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

I have no idea how this would be on the coach. At this point the players have shown they can play and execute their system. If they have a lack of resiliency - how is that on the coach?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 08:48 AM   #814
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The system has actually looked really good - they were the better team in Games 2 and 3 IMO.

Game 1&2 it wasn't the system telling the team to take stupid penalties.

Game 3 it wasn't the system telling Elliott to forget how to save a puck.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM   #815
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Tonight I felt really drove home the point that Gulutzan is not a good leader. This team's resiliency when something goes wrong is nonexistent.

Also considering it's the playoffs, this is the time to play your top lines as much as you can. Why are your bottom lines getting 15/20 minutes? How is that a recipe for success when each loss gets you closer to the end of your season? There's no need to conserve energy because no other team is at this point.
uh, this pretty much illustrates why you don't know what you are talking about.

Calgary's top lines are getting ####ing roasted out there and you think the flames should be playing them even more?

Ferland -3
Gaudreau -2
Backlund -2
Monahan -2
Tkachuk -2

Versteeg - even, 3pts.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #816
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I have no idea how this would be on the coach. At this point the players have shown they can play and execute their system. If they have a lack of resiliency - how is that on the coach?
So the coach just draws up the game plan and sits back with popcorn and watches the game for 2.5 hours?

How about recognizing what's going on and managing the game? Taking a time out when things are getting dicey? Throwing your best lines out there when the others aren't working?

What did Gulutzan do in the 2nd intermission to settle the team down and get them refocused after the Ducks late period goal? What did he do after the high stick goal that obviously rattled the team? What did he do between the third period and OT to help the players put the disaster behind them and realize they could still win the game?

Its not all on him but come on. He's the head coach. Rally your troops.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 AM   #817
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
So the coach just draws up the game plan and sits back with popcorn and watches the game for 2.5 hours?

How about recognizing what's going on and managing the game? Taking a time out when things are getting dicey? Throwing your best lines out there when the others aren't working?

What did Gulutzan do in the 2nd intermission to settle the team down and get them refocused after the Ducks late period goal? What did he do after the high stick goal that obviously rattled the team? What did he do between the third period and OT to help the players put the disaster behind them and realize they could still win the game?

Its not all on him but come on. He's the head coach. Rally your troops.
I view most of the above as being primarily a cliched version of what coaches do. Rally the troops! Refocus! Take time outs!
OK...
None of that matters if your goalie makes a damn save or your highest paid forward does anything.

Particularly when you get the post-season its the guys on the ice that have to get it done.

Easier to hate the coach then to blame the player with the cool nickname.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #818
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I do agree that GG is being outcoached by Carlisle, I don't think any NHL coach has ever scheduled practice time to help his alleged nhl goalie with stopping weak, floating wrist shots from right against the side boards.

GG's systems didn't cause Elliott to lose his marbles
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #819
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, in conclusion, I'd say Gulutzan does most things right except mid-game adjustments and shortening the bench late in games.

I'd like to believe he's a young coach and can learn to make these adjustments as he gets more experience.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #820
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I wasn't a fan of Gulutzan's to start the year (wasn't a fan of anything the Flames had going on to start the year) but the team came around and and the wins followed. The playoffs aren't an indication of anything the coach is doing wrong. I think the real problems are all pretty evident the past 3 games.

Now, not to start a new argument or dig up an old one, but I do think the coaches future is tied to that of the GM. And I'm very curious to see what happens here in the off season.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote