Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2017, 01:55 PM   #21
3rd line Grinder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

was there for this event and the second question asked (about Carolina/Arizona, brooklyn) was mine.

I found him trying so hard to control the situation it made it uncomfotable. His response to my question was so defensive and dismissive it was as if they are alarming and embaressing situations which he didnt expect people to know about (even after kerr called him out on Carolina's attendance).

Hearing about the situation revoloving around the olympics and the negotiations with the NHLPA was quite interesting, though definitly had a huge dose of intentional narrator's bias.

The most awkward part was the jabs him and Kerr kept firing at each other... thought a fight was about to break out.

The amount he brought up the oilers and Rogers place was just obnoxious
3rd line Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rd line Grinder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I really hate the way commissioners of all pro sports leagues feel how the general public/government should fund new arenas/stadiums
Its almost like he has a vested interest.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I cannot support tax payers paying for private, for profit, infrastructure.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #24
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

The most awkward part was the jabs him and Kerr kept firing at each other... thought a fight was about to break out.

I actually like the shtick Kerr and Bettman have with each other.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM   #25
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

But does he have Parkinson's???
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 12:12 AM   #26
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd line Grinder View Post
was there for this event and the second question asked (about Carolina/Arizona, brooklyn) was mine.

I found him trying so hard to control the situation it made it uncomfotable. His response to my question was so defensive and dismissive it was as if they are alarming and embaressing situations which he didnt expect people to know about (even after kerr called him out on Carolina's attendance).

Hearing about the situation revoloving around the olympics and the negotiations with the NHLPA was quite interesting, though definitly had a huge dose of intentional narrator's bias.

The amount he brought up the oilers and Rogers place was just obnoxious

He takes exception to those type of questions all the time, no surprising since places like Carolina and Phx are not quality hockey markets, I don't care what people say.

Teams like Phx have players who are retired or playing in another country on the books and that counts as "salary cap dollars" Just a joke because if they were paying those multi million dollar contracts out, it would result in even bigger financial losses.

As for Kerr and Bettman, whenever he comes into town or has an interview him and Kerr talk like they are actually close friends or have some relationship outside of their respective roles. I have heard Kerr ask him about his wife, his daughters education at Cornell University etc in previous interviews. Small world, so you never know.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 12:18 AM   #27
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gary Bettman... human bobble head. His head doesn't stop bobbling ever!!!!!
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:13 AM   #28
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Gary Bettman... human bobble head. His head doesn't stop bobbling ever!!!!!
I've seen quite a few older guys have this condition. I don't know if its Parkinson's or some other palsy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #29
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't get why people get upset with Bettman. It's his job is to do what's best for the NHL and the owners. Everything he does or says is to that end, but apparently that makes him a weasel.
So? The guy rattles off evasive answers, half-truths, and boldfaced falsehoods like it's nothing. That he's doing the bidding of someone else doesn't exempt someone from being a weasel... it just makes him their weasel. Also doesn't help that he oozing an off-putting air of smugness (which is only half his fault since the vast majority of media he does has the host basically kissing his arse).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM   #30
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

i understand why owners don't want the players to go.
I don't understand why players want to go at the expense of losing something in the CBA.

Sure going to the Olympics is cool but not at the expense of your livelihood.

The part about expansion is insane. A market (Quebec) can't have a team because it would mess up re-alignment? That's crazy.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #31
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I don't see why there isn't room for both the Olympics and World Cup of Hockey.

Sure, I can see how people look at the world cup as something a bit contrived. Name one tournament that doesn't start off that way though. All tournaments start nothing short of something that is contrived and 'made up' just to make money for someone or some organization.

However, keep doing it long enough, and then suddenly you find that a tournament has substance. That a tournament has some history and nostalgia, and that the winners of said tournament will be heralded for achieving something important.
They had that. The tradition of the Canada Cup and they threw it away.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote