Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 08:22 AM   #4221
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus depending on your weather app there may even be some snow tomorrow morning...A layer of that over the ice below? No thanks.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #4222
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yesterday on my drive home, I started to think about how long until I could start riding.

I work by Chinook and ride in from new brighton, my route is about 65% pathway and 35% roadway - my journey on the roads include riding down southland from the river to blackfoot, then cutting thru acadia, and the last stretch is down centre from heritage to 61st.

centre still seems to have a lots of standing water and it is not a cycle friendly street from the glenmore underpass to 61st and I try and ride on the sidewalk as much as possible

bow river pathway can also be an adventure as some of the path skirts right along the escarpment and losing control on ice in one of these sections could have major consequences
Old 03-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #4223
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost needed pontoons yesterday. So much standing water on the Bow River/Nose Creek pathways. Really deep behind the zoo and under 16 Ave overpass. And the wind can #### right off as well. Looked out the window at work just before I left and it was blowing out of the south. Got on the bike, exited the parking garage and it literally changed right then and there to a 30 km north wind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2017, 07:18 AM   #4224
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, nose creek is really flowing. Ice break up has happened and there's a bit of a jam where it meets the Bow. Some of the underpasses may be flooded soon (if they aren't already)
Old 03-16-2017, 07:24 AM   #4225
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't take my normal route becuase I wanted to avoid the ice. I was successful, until the bottom of the bluff in the trees, where I hit about 500m of un-ridable icy pathway. It would be nice if the city at least attempted to make this passable, even just throwing some gravel down. I could barely walk it, let alone ride. Going to need to find a better option tomorrow.

Anyone know a way down the bluff on a pathway that isn't a luge run? Thinking the one by the stairs might be OK, but it's a sidelope and paved, so might have lots of ice runners on it.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #4226
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Almost needed pontoons yesterday. So much standing water on the Bow River/Nose Creek pathways. Really deep behind the zoo and under 16 Ave overpass. And the wind can #### right off as well. Looked out the window at work just before I left and it was blowing out of the south. Got on the bike, exited the parking garage and it literally changed right then and there to a 30 km north wind.
That was quite fun yesterday wasn't it? There was that really deep pool right by Spark also.

In light of all the melt and giant pools I've opted not to ride in today and probably tomorrow as well. 3 days in a row this week was pretty good and I'm hoping things will drain away over the next few days.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM   #4227
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am going for a stealth mission (night ride) tonight thru fish creek. hoping that the overnight freeze does not start until after midnight as I really don't feel like dumping my bike in the middle of fish creek

this will give me a chance to test out the light I bought in october
Old 03-17-2017, 08:14 AM   #4228
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll give a Nose Creek path update later. Ride in on Ctr Street was nice. Seemed quieter today.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 AM   #4229
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I made it 500m before falling over in Lindsay Park. I turned back and drove in, I am assuming Nose Creek is a skating rink
Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #4230
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else headed to the Calgary Bike Show this weekend?
Think I'm heading down tomorrow.

http://www.calgarybikeshow.com/tickets
Old 03-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #4231
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I went this morning. They have a little bit of something for everyone.

Bring the kids if you have some. They're doing BMX demonstrations and have a track for testing out a variety of kid's bikes.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #4232
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm volunteering at the bike calgary booth for another hour or so.. Stop in and say hi!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 PM   #4233
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just came back from a ride from my house in new Brighton to the end of the south bike path at blue devil golf course.

The ride, while better than a good day at work, was frustrating. The path is about 85% dry, but the rest was standing water - in some cases the water is rim deep on my fat bike, and the water was crusted over with ice on top - so you had to be careful and under control when entering these puddles. In addition, there were spots on the path with tricky ice flows.

The conditions today are a huge change from last weekend.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #4234
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My route has had its fair share of ice, and I've experimented with different routes the past week but I figured by now the path through the cemetery should be navigable. I glance at a route down 4th st, but the wind is stiff from the south, bringing with it blowing snow. I'd rather take the sheltered route, I think.

So I'm riding through the cemetery, and have just navigated the iciest section over a service road and onto the path successfully. The snow in the air is getting thicker, but I think I'm in the clear as I approach a gradual bend in the path. Rarely is this area iced up, but I take it cautiously. Sure enough, I see a glint of finely polished ice, beneath a greasy skiff of the white stuff. I'm on it, but OK. I input a small amount of right steering to make the bend, but as I do that, my front wheel hits a hunk of ice careening it off to my 2'oclock. ####. My rear tire gives out, sliding leftwards. I manage to drop my left foot back and get some weight on it before my bike hits horizontal, as the rear sweeps to 9'oclock and I get my right foot down.

Now, at this point I'm bent over, feet sliding north on a southbound bike. My legs have gone akimbo. I begin to feel a tearing like sensation in the groin area. I've got a death grip on my handles as every muscle in my body goes rigid, attempting to stop the inevitable. Fortunately my fingers are on the rear brake and the forces are such that, somehow the front wheel rises into a wheelie, and I get weight squarely over my feet. I have, however, not stopped moving this entire time, so now I am a tripod, 2 legs and a rear wheel, sliding, sliding. Not much to do now but wait. I end my ballet as the bike and I, now one, touch the grass.

I think tomorrow I will take 4th st.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #4235
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wind SUCKED this morning. It better be the same when I go home, I think I earned the push.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 06:15 AM   #4236
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wind going home was awesome! Hit #2 on Strava while climbing on my heavy bike with fenders!

Nose Creek pathway almost clear of ice, standing water is at a minimum. Still some meltwater crossing the path at a few spots.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 AM   #4237
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright Mother Nature, you whore. You got me. I did not expect to be riding this morning in the (cue Axle Rose) Cold Vancouver Raiiain! Drenched!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:22 AM   #4238
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got lucky, it only started to drizzle as I crossed the Ctr Street bridge
Old 03-22-2017, 07:24 AM   #4239
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya,I looked outside at 6:25 and didn't see much, just a little damp. By the time I left 15 minutes later it had gone full Vancouver. On the plus side, I stayed on the bike today!

Last edited by Fuzz; 03-22-2017 at 08:01 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #4240
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad i am still riding the winter bike. There are still a few sketchy sections. I missed the rain but it was a refreshing ride in!
Closed Thread