Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #1141
Flash Walken
Franchise Player
 
Flash Walken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That is a good idea. Where do you get something like that, though?
I got mine from a guy who makes alterations and repairs to gortex/camp equipment but you might even be able to get some at a place like Fannie's fabrics.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Hell yeah neck tats let's go
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:40 AM   #1142
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I bought Food Chain Magnate yesterday and am expecting it to arrive Wednesday. Going to try to play it on Saturday.
I came close to picking this up, but I was frightened off by the reports of the steep learning curve - not mechanically, but in terms of effective gameplay. Apparently, it's the kind of game you need to play repeatedly with the same group so everyone is climbing the learning curve together, because bad decisions early can scupper your entire game and a player who has played three times will wipe the floor with someone who has played twice.

Still, it sounds very intriguing. Let us know how it plays.

I played a family Christmas present yesterday - Mission Red Planet. Highly recommended. Straightforward (my 9 year olds caught on right away), with lots of interaction and laughs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
If this day gets you riled up, you obviously aren't numb to the disappointment yet to be a real fan.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:28 AM   #1143
octothorp
Franchise Player
 
octothorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: not lurking
Exp:
Default

Is anyone here interested in doing some blind playtesting of a game I've been working on? It was a finalist for the Canadian Game Design Awards last year, just won the Ion Award for best Strategy Game, and is a finalist for the Cardboard Edison Award next month. I've started to get some interest from publishers, but I want to get in a bit more blind playtesting before I start sending it out. Blind playtesting would mean you get the game, play it without me present, and then provide notes on the playtest; video or audio recording of the session is also useful, but not required.

It's a cooperative deduction detective game for 1-4 players; you can learn more here. Send me a PM if interested!
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #1144
Timbo
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Timbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Near Fish Creek
Exp:
Default

I'm looking for Arkham Horror card game no luck at The Sentry Box or Revolution games.
Unless anyone can point me to a store with it in stock I guess I might have to buy on the internet.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #1145
spetch
Scoring Winger
 
spetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: AB
Exp:
Default

Anyone play Kingdom Death Monster? I have an old roommate that has a copy he is looking to sell. I know I would probably be playing this game solo (not in our game groups wheelhouse, yet) and have been watching some youtube videos on it. It looks like it is pretty intense, but not sure if it is worth dropping that kind of cash on.
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #1146
GreenLantern
One of the Nine
 
GreenLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Sector 2814
Exp:
Default

I looked at it, like you said looks intense. I thought of it as for a hard core dnd group that was looking for a miniatures/board game combo. Not really for a casual group looking to cut their teeth on the genre or a solo play.

I am sure it is an enjoyable game though, it looks really well designed.
__________________
"In brightest day, in blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 07:03 PM   #1147
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

My kid's been into naval stuff recently, built a few ship models and I think he wants to create a whole battle group at the same scale lol.

Anyway anyone into naval miniatures games? It looks like there used to be an Axis & Allies naval miniature game but it's been discontinued, and while the starter kit can still be found for a reasonable price, the booster packs and individual ships look like a money pit.

There's also companies that make individual miniatures, maybe getting smaller scale stuff he can toy around with larger groups of ships without spending tons. Is there anywhere in Calgary that deals in that kind of thing? I guess Sentry Box would be the first place to check. There's probably rulesets for download and then you can use your own miniatures.

EDIT: I should mention it's mostly modern or WWII era ships.
__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #1148
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Is this the one you mean is a starter kit photon?

It has 64 ships if im understanding correctly...i was looking at this a few months back but had forgotten about it until i read your post. at least i think its the same.


https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/...atures-war-sea
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #1149
cDnStealth
First Line Centre
 
cDnStealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetch View Post
Anyone play Kingdom Death Monster? I have an old roommate that has a copy he is looking to sell. I know I would probably be playing this game solo (not in our game groups wheelhouse, yet) and have been watching some youtube videos on it. It looks like it is pretty intense, but not sure if it is worth dropping that kind of cash on.
A friend of mine dropped a huge pile of money (around 750 I think) on the second kickstarter. I thought he was crazy although it does have very nice looking models. It's not my type of game but I'll be dragged into playing it whenever he gets his copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My kid's been into naval stuff recently, built a few ship models and I think he wants to create a whole battle group at the same scale lol.

Anyway anyone into naval miniatures games? It looks like there used to be an Axis & Allies naval miniature game but it's been discontinued, and while the starter kit can still be found for a reasonable price, the booster packs and individual ships look like a money pit.

There's also companies that make individual miniatures, maybe getting smaller scale stuff he can toy around with larger groups of ships without spending tons. Is there anywhere in Calgary that deals in that kind of thing? I guess Sentry Box would be the first place to check. There's probably rulesets for download and then you can use your own miniatures.

EDIT: I should mention it's mostly modern or WWII era ships.
The upstairs section of Sentry Box has lots of military models so that might be a good place to start. Not sure if they have a game to go along with it.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #1150
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.
 
photon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

So far I've just found this one:

https://www.amazon.com/War-Sea-Start.../dp/0786953853

By 64 ships I think it means the entire set of available ships is 64, I can't find a base kit that comes with 64.

Some of the ships are really expensive.

This is where a 3D Printer would be handy
__________________
Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position.
But certainty is an absurd one.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #1151
Resurrection
First Line Centre
 
Resurrection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Exp:
Default

Can anyone make a recommendation for social deduction games that aren't Secret Hitler and Avalon?
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #1152
cDnStealth
First Line Centre
 
cDnStealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Can anyone make a recommendation for social deduction games that aren't Secret Hitler and Avalon?
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is easy to get into and fun. The app is nice as well. Coup is also a great game.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:22 AM   #1153
malcolmk14
Franchise Player
 
malcolmk14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Exp:
Default

Picked up Terraforming Mars the other day. Excited for it to hit the table.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #1154
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
 
troutman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winebar Kensington
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Picked up Terraforming Mars the other day. Excited for it to hit the table.
Me too.

I think I understand the rules.

__________________
http://nwcalgarylaw.com/
http://cjsw.com/program/fossil-records/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #1155
dsavillian
First Line Centre
 
dsavillian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: losing CPHL bets
Exp:
Default

We've played Terraforming Mars about 10 times since picking it up a few weeks back.

It's my new favourite game.


We made a major mistake on our first play through that might trip you up as well. We thought that you only got 1-2 actions per generation, when instead the generation continues until everyone is done.

We had more resources than we could spend.

The next play through was much better.
__________________
CPHL - LA Kings

Rule of thumb: If you've never heard of a prospect, that prospect is garbage 100% of the time.
dsavillian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dsavillian For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #1156
GreenLantern
One of the Nine
 
GreenLantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Space Sector 2814
Exp:
Default

My groups enjoyed Scythe a lot lately, and Pandemic Legacy, but Terraforming Mars seems like a logical next step.
__________________
"In brightest day, in blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #1157
octothorp
Franchise Player
 
octothorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: not lurking
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
One Night Ultimate Werewolf is easy to get into and fun. The app is nice as well. Coup is also a great game.
I'm a huge fan of Coup. Definitely my favorite social deduction game. If you tend to play in larger numbers (6 and up) the allegiance mechanic in Reformation is good.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #1158
cDnStealth
First Line Centre
 
cDnStealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I'm a huge fan of Coup. Definitely my favorite social deduction game. If you tend to play in larger numbers (6 and up) the allegiance mechanic in Reformation is good.
Coup is so much fun and I greatly prefer it to Resistance. I always love the first round when everyone pretends to be the Duke.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #1159
SebC
tromboner
 
SebC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: where the lattes are
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Can anyone make a recommendation for social deduction games that aren't Secret Hitler and Avalon?
To me you've just eliminated the best of the genre (other than the non-Avalon version of The Resistance).

I personally think Coup is trash (too many kingmaker situations), and Bang is barely a social deduction game (it's usually optimal to not conceal your role) and also not very good. Coup is a bit like "Cheat" where you're not rewarded for calling a bluff, so it creates a situation where everyone thinks someone might be BSing, but it's better if someone else calls it.

Some names I'll throw out there are Battlestar Galactica (much heavier), which is co-op with secret betrayer. Other co-op with secret betrayer games are Shadows over Camelot (which I did not enjoy) and Saboteur (which is pretty light but more invidualistic).

Shadow Hunters might be a good fit. It's kind of similar to Resistance where it's team vs team with some neutrals. Also, Two Rooms and a Boom is one that plays well with large groups, but not so well with smaller ones).

Citadels and Libertalia are games with secret role selection, but role deduction merely helps you achieve the primary primary objective without being the objective itself.

On the lighter side, Love Letter (and its many variants) is enjoyable filler. Similar to Coup but more streamlined.

My local group is big on Ultimae Werewolf (not one night), but this has player elimination as a mechanic.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:19 AM   #1160
Raekwon
First Line Centre
 
Raekwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
To me you've just eliminated the best of the genre (other than the non-Avalon version of The Resistance).

I personally think Coup is trash (too many kingmaker situations), and Bang is barely a social deduction game (it's usually optimal to not conceal your role) and also not very good. Coup is a bit like "Cheat" where you're not rewarded for calling a bluff, so it creates a situation where everyone thinks someone might be BSing, but it's better if someone else calls it.

Some names I'll throw out there are Battlestar Galactica (much heavier), which is co-op with secret betrayer. Other co-op with secret betrayer games are Shadows over Camelot (which I did not enjoy) and Saboteur (which is pretty light but more invidualistic).

Shadow Hunters might be a good fit. It's kind of similar to Resistance where it's team vs team with some neutrals. Also, Two Rooms and a Boom is one that plays well with large groups, but not so well with smaller ones).

Citadels and Libertalia are games with secret role selection, but role deduction merely helps you achieve the primary primary objective without being the objective itself.

On the lighter side, Love Letter (and its many variants) is enjoyable filler. Similar to Coup but more streamlined.

My local group is big on Ultimae Werewolf (not one night), but this has player elimination as a mechanic.
Can you explain Ultimate Werewolf a bit? It seems like something I could get into but how does the gameplay work etc?
__________________
One day I will read the rules.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:37 AM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016