Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 04:07 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default In a big way I hate it, but Amazon is truly great

I resisted forever, but older age and lazybones simply took over.

Except for the illusionists event tickets, Telus spark entry for four and one piece of jewelry my Christmas shopping is done for 14 people because of the devil known as Amazon. Took all of about 2 hours of searching and ordering and I probably saved 100's of dollars as well.

Part of me hates myself going to the dark side but I'm sure I'll feel better when I'm not scrambling in a mall on the 24th like every other year!

Retail malls are so screwed
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 04:18 AM   #2
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Oh man, I hear ya, but watch the newest Adam Ruins Everything episode on Tech companies, its such a damning truth about what these tech giants are doing and have done to the world.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:35 AM   #3
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Oh man, I hear ya, but watch the newest Adam Ruins Everything episode on Tech companies, its such a damning truth about what these tech giants are doing and have done to the world.
Scary!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 05:30 AM   #4
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah that whole episode is so well put together, not sure where Canadians can watch these but find it, its devastatingly true about the problems of these Tech monopolies.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:17 AM   #5
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

How long did you resist indoor plumbing for?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 07:34 AM   #6
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Yeah that whole episode is so well put together, not sure where Canadians can watch these but find it, its devastatingly true about the problems of these Tech monopolies.
That business model is hardly unique to just tech companies, or at least based on what is that the short video there. Haven't seen the full episode.

The complete penetration of tech companies into every aspect of life in the West is nothing compared to what it is here in China though. I haven't even carried a wallet in over a year and I almost never shop at stores. Everything is paid by app and ordered for delivery to home by app. Everything. And basically all out of just two apps, one of which is also used for nearly all work and personal communication, mapping etc.

Companies like Amazon are nothing compared to what Alibaba and Tencent are in China. The Chinese economy would cease to function tomorrow if Tencent and Alibaba were to disappear.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #7
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Over the last few years I've been trying to the find a mix between Amazon/Online versus local shops. So far Christmas shopping this year has broken down this way:

Amazon/Online: Blu-rays, console games, kitchenware

Local: Clothing, books, gift certificates (local restaurants)

It helps to have a good variety of local shops nice and close though, without them I can see the temptation to go even further into online purchasing.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #8
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default In a big way I hate it, but Amazon is truly great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I resisted forever, but older age and lazybones simply took over.

Except for the illusionists event tickets, Telus spark entry for four and one piece of jewelry my Christmas shopping is done for 14 people because of the devil known as Amazon. Took all of about 2 hours of searching and ordering and I probably saved 100's of dollars as well.

Part of me hates myself going to the dark side but I'm sure I'll feel better when I'm not scrambling in a mall on the 24th like every other year!

Retail malls are so screwed

Retail malls will still have their place for clothing stores, and that isn’t likely to change any time soon. It’s too much of a hassle for most people to buy clothes online, just to find out they don’t fit and need to be returned (which for online purchases is way more of a PITA).

The ones who really are screwed are small, independent business owners. One need look no further than all the foreclosures on 17th to see evidence of that.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:28 AM   #9
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Retail malls will still have their place for clothing stores, and that isn’t likely to change any time soon. It’s too much of a hassle for most people to buy clothes online, just to find out they don’t fit and need to be returned (which for online purchases is way more of a PITA).

The ones who really are screwed are small, independent business owners. One need look no further than all the foreclosures on 17th to see evidence of that.
Retail clothing stores will outlast us all but the large malls won't stay open for clothing and food courts alone. I think we'll start to see large stand alone clothing stores taking over in the next few years. I actually wouldn't be surprised if Amazon started building clothing superstores very soon.

Edit: Retail malls closing at an alarming rate
Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 AM   #10
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That business model is hardly unique to just tech companies, or at least based on what is that the short video there. Haven't seen the full episode.

The complete penetration of tech companies into every aspect of life in the West is nothing compared to what it is here in China though. I haven't even carried a wallet in over a year and I almost never shop at stores. Everything is paid by app and ordered for delivery to home by app. Everything. And basically all out of just two apps, one of which is also used for nearly all work and personal communication, mapping etc.

Companies like Amazon are nothing compared to what Alibaba and Tencent are in China. The Chinese economy would cease to function tomorrow if Tencent and Alibaba were to disappear.
Yes, Tencent and Alibaba are huge in China and very important to their economy as is JD. but make no mistake Amazon is big enough to swallow every Chinese e-commerce company with ease
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #11
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Yes, Tencent and Alibaba are huge in China and very important to their economy as is JD. but make no mistake Amazon is big enough to swallow every Chinese e-commerce company with ease
My point wasn't about market cap or revenue. The point was penetration of the company's services into all areas of the user's life and experience, and Amazon does not come close on that. What Tencent and Alibaba are capable of in China is much more all encompassing and potentially frightening.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #12
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm about to watch the Adam Ruins Everything video now (I do like his stuff) but Hasan Minhaj did an amazing job discussing Amazon on The Patriot Act:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 07:40 AM   #13
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm about to watch the Adam Ruins Everything video now (I do like his stuff) but Hasan Minhaj did an amazing job discussing Amazon on The Patriot Act:

Yeah. I learned some interesting stuff from that episode. I like the convenience of Amazon but at the same time I hate shopping there although I can't resist getting a great deal.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Amazon is Walmart for people who won’t even put on their sweatpants. #### everyone else, I’m saving $5 on this thing I don’t really need! No wonder there’s almost no independent shops around and the only places that are left are so we can shove our fat faces with food. Oh well, Jeff Bezos is at least the richest guy around and people were able to use their credit card and get their soulless shopping done in 30 minutes.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Amazon is Walmart for people who won’t even put on their sweatpants. #### everyone else, I’m saving $5 on this thing I don’t really need! No wonder there’s almost no independent shops around and the only places that are left are so we can shove our fat faces with food. Oh well, Jeff Bezos is at least the richest guy around and people were able to use their credit card and get their soulless shopping done in 30 minutes.
Thing is for a large percentage of people in the US where Amazon does the bulk of their business that savings (and not on things they don't need) is very meaningful.

The problem is a brick and mortar has to be able to offer something beyond the same products you can get at amazon or walmart. Those that do can be quite successful. But if you are just going to sell the same stuff that doesn't require any sort of face to face interaction for decision making purposes and do it for an elevated price, well then you aren't going to be successful.

Restaurants are one of the things that does this well and not just to stuff fat faces. Even smaller towns have a local restaurant or two that thrive. The reason is that they offer something...convenience of not having to cook at home while still getting a well cooked meal.

And really I don't see how online shopping is anymore soulless than flipping through the Sear Christmas Wish book like people did for decades....that was the online shopping of the time.

Last edited by ernie; 12-14-2018 at 08:13 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #16
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

By the way, its S02E25 for those of you searching for it, also highly recommend the previous one which goes after the Mattress industry and sleeping in general (e24)
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #17
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Thing is for a large percentage of people in the US where Amazon does the bulk of their business that savings (and not on things they don't need) is very meaningful.

The problem is a brick and mortar has to be able to offer something beyond the same products you can get at amazon or walmart. Those that do can be quite successful. But if you are just going to sell the same stuff that doesn't require any sort of face to face interaction for decision making purposes and do it for an elevated price, well then you aren't going to be successful.

Restaurants are one of the things that does this well and not just to stuff fat faces. Even smaller towns have a local restaurant or two that thrive. The reason is that they offer something...convenience of not having to cook at home while still getting a well cooked meal.

And really I don't see how online shopping is anymore soulless than flipping through the Sear Christmas Wish book like people did for decades....that was the online shopping of the time.
I agree with this post. The big box stores definitely took the brunt of Amazon's force. And I don't care anything about them. The retail jobs were crappy jobs anyway. Lots of smaller, interesting, creative businesses are thriving these days around here. If you are going to buy mass produced, commodditized items, you might as well buy them efficiently as possible.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #18
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, what's the problem with Amazon? It's inexpensive? Convenient? Fast? Yeah, what a real hassle.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM   #19
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Combine Amazon and Camel Camel for price alerts based on your wishlist. Its addicting as fk and very difficult not to purchase everything.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #20
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm inclined to agree, I hate Amazon like I hate Walmart.

That said, last week I said to my cashier at Walmart, "I hate this store, but where else can I get all this stuff?"

Yesterday I ran into someone I haven't seen in a while at Walmart and at one point we chatted about where to get Christmas DVDs. Honestly, no idea anymore. Best Buy maybe? Or a used CD place? It's Walmart or bust.

You need diapers, an extension cord for your Christmas lights, bananas, windshield washer fluid and an ice cube tray?

That's either several stops, or Walmart where its likely cheaper to begin with.

Amazon is the next level. Don't need it today or can you wait 2-3 business days? Amazon is the way to go.

My brother in law sent a link to what he wanted for Christmas, the next week it was in my mailbox. I don't even think I could get it here.

Part of me is starting to think that Amazon is going the way of Standard Oil.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote