Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #201
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is Brayden Point the new Dillon Dube? If Dube keeps this up, I might begin calling him The Marshal.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:41 AM   #202
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I remain convinced that none of us has the first damn clue about what makes a good NHL goaltending coach. It is easily the most nebulous occupation in hockey.
I don't disagree at all, at the end of the day I'm just an idiot on the internet.
I'm just asking the question at what point do we look at his body of work and say this isn't good
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 05:42 AM   #203
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Like who, that won’t have a significant acquisition cost? Steve Mason? Kari Lehtonen? I’d rather run with Gillies/Rittich.
I think you missed the point of my post, what I was saying was, if in the event Gillies or Rittich dont step up and prove they are ready to be the backup; the notion of Jeff Glass being the backup would be catastrophic for this team. As he is barely an AHL starter let alone a NHL quality goalie.

There are plenty of goalies out there who are better than Jeff Glass who could be an option for a back up, and yes that includes Mason or Lehtonen. At least with Gillies and Rittich there is still potential.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:52 AM   #204
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

After that showing, management has to be looking for a goalie upgrade. CBJ is the ideal target right now. If they commit to Babrovsky, go after Korpisalo and if they're killing to kick Babrovsky off the force, he should be the target. Something around Bennett and Smith maybe?
Old 09-18-2018, 06:18 AM   #205
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames haven't developed an NHL starting goaltender since Trevor Kidd. Failing to develop goalies is in the franchise's DNA.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #206
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the biggest concern heading into preseason was goaltending.
Nothing has happened yet, in either game, to reduce that concern.
Unfortunately.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 06:34 AM   #207
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I remain convinced that none of us has the first damn clue about what makes a good NHL goaltending coach. It is easily the most nebulous occupation in hockey.
First of all, I absolutely agree with this. And second, I am the furthest thing from an expert on goaltending technique. But here is what I see as a fan:

1) there has not been a single goalie join the team and take a step forward (i.e. improve) under his watch

2) there have been several goalies come in and struggle under his watch

3) (and this is the big one for me) it seems to me that all of the goalies go down too much and too quickly, and - combined with that - they are too far back in their net. This makes them look small, resulting in less tipped shots hitting them. And opens the top of the net, where we are seeing too much of a trend of weak glove hands.

Maybe that is Sigalet, maybe it isn't. But even if it isn't... I have never seen anything - any evidence of any kind, at all - that suggests he is doing a good job. So in a results business, that is reason enough for change IMO.

Oh, and with respect to Smith playing well, I agree with the poster above: a 36 year old career starter is not going to listen to a new goalie coach, he is going to do what he does. Especially a character like Smith.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 06:58 AM   #208
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
After that showing, management has to be looking for a goalie upgrade. CBJ is the ideal target right now. If they commit to Babrovsky, go after Korpisalo and if they're killing to kick Babrovsky off the force, he should be the target. Something around Bennett and Smith maybe?
With Smith's contract up its worth thinking about the future too. Bobrovsky could be a good get, Rinne is a UFA although he's only a year younger than Smith so hardly a long term deal. Varlomov could be interesting but given his injury history that's likely a tandem scenario.

That's the free agents covered, is there rumours of guys that might be on the trade block?

And no I'm not saying panic move after a preseason game, it's just a convo worth having
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:04 AM   #209
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Flames haven't developed an NHL starting goaltender since Trevor Kidd. Failing to develop goalies is in the franchise's DNA.
Does Dwayne Roloson count? Curtis McElhinney is probably the best goaltender the organization has developed over the last 15 years or longer. We have to be close to worst in the league in this regard. They are either picking the wrong guys in the draft or not doing a good enough job developing them. It's frustrating to never have an answer for the position in your own system. I'm worried about Sigalet getting his hands on Parsons as if he doesn't pan out it's going to be pretty bleak.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-18-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #210
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have been scratching my head since April as to why they kept Sigalet.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=197
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=218
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=127

Yes, the goalie coaching position may be nebulous, yes, "internet posting fans" may have no clue as to what makes a good goalie coach. But I do think those who make their living in Hockey can see (and correct) the same flaws we fans do.

Is Sigalet a coach who preaches - cover the bottom of the net - it is harder to score up top - guy? It seems to me he clearly preaches - stay deeper in your net. Why draft/sign big goalies if you are not going to preach a stand-up-and-cover-most-of-the-net philosophy??

It is clearly now big decision time - Are your #2 & #3 goalies not improving because of (A) coaching or (B) themselves? If BT decides it is A, then he needs to fix that ASAP for the sake of Parsons. If it is B, then the time to cut bait on those guys is now (unfortunately the cost to replace them with quality will be very high).

Remember - this isn't 1 preseason game. This goes back to their poor showing last Feb-Apr, if not back to 2017 preseason when neither could grab the backup job and BT brought in Lack.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:13 AM   #211
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealPepman View Post
This post makes me think that Smitty's 17-18 performance (pre-injury BTW) may have to do more with his talent and less with Sigs. Agree?
Smith also showed a steady decline as last season progressed

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:22 AM   #212
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Please name a team that has continually developed goalies? What team has had a steady stream of drafted goalies be their #1 in succession? There is a reason it’s the hardest position to project and develop. Less then 50% of the teams in the league have a starting goalie that was developed by the organization.

Last edited by rhino; 09-18-2018 at 07:33 AM.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 07:26 AM   #213
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Smith also showed a steady decline as last season progressed

That had nothing to do with the goalie coach and everything to do with Smith coming back from injury before being 100%.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 AM   #214
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Please name a team that has continually developed goalies? What team has had a steady stream of drafted goalies be their #1 in succession? There is a reason it’s the hardest position to project and develop.
The problem is, of course, that "steady stream" over a 15 year period is 2-3 goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:36 AM   #215
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Help us Mike Smith Kenobi, you're our only hope.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 07:42 AM   #216
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
Please name a team that has continually developed goalies? What team has had a steady stream of drafted goalies be their #1 in succession? There is a reason it’s the hardest position to project and develop.
Getting the most out of unproven commodities and backups is still somethig good goalie coaches do.

New York under Benoit Allaire has pumped out guys like Talbot, Raanta. Ondrej Pavelec had a huge bounce back season there last year, posting a .910 behind arguably the worst defensive team in the NHL.

When Brodeur jumped in as Jake Allen's goalie coach, Allen had the best stretch of hockey he's ever played.

Roland Melanson has gotten some of the best results out of guys like Eddie Lack, Corey Schneider, Jacob Markstrom, and Keith Kinkaid.

No, a goalie coach can't turn water into wine, but we've regularly seen goalies have hot streaks here only to go on extended ice cold streaks soon afterwards. I think a goalie coach should be able to stop the bleeding.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #217
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Please name a team that has continually developed goalies?

The only one I can come up with is the Capitals:

4 out of 10 drafted since 2006 -

Hotlby ('08, #93 overall, 361 gp)

Grubauer ('10, #112, 101 gp)

Varlemov ('06, #23, 399 gp)

Niewverth ('06, #34, 250 gp)
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 AM   #218
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is there even one positive thing that can be said of sigalets coaching? Kipper?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:14 AM   #219
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Nope. Goalie coach here after Kipper retired.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 08:38 AM   #220
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
The only one I can come up with is the Capitals:

4 out of 10 drafted since 2006 -

Hotlby ('08, #93 overall, 361 gp)

Grubauer ('10, #112, 101 gp)