Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #2021
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Still amazes me that people think he won't emerge offensively when we have Backlund on our team showing us an example of a guy who took a few years to start putting up better offensive #s.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #2022
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Still amazes me that people think he won't emerge offensively when we have Backlund on our team showing us an example of a guy who took a few years to start putting up better offensive #s.
Not to mention Backlund is a guy who has proved time and again that he improves his linemates substantially even plugs like Colborne and Bouma. This line has a chance to be really effective with the skill that Bennett brings to it.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #2023
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels good watching Sam Bennett punch others in the face. Nurse rocking a swollen lip when arguing with the early ref intervention improved my mood greatly.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #2024
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Feels good watching Sam Bennett punch others in the face. Nurse rocking a swollen lip when arguing with the early ref intervention improved my mood greatly.
Ok... now I have to watch the fight again.

Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #2025
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ik Bennett hasn't been getting the points, and it has been super frustrating cause he clearly deserves more then he is getting. But I think he has been playing so well, I would like to him between Johnny Hockey and Lindholm. Monny as much as I love him just doesn't seem to be as noticeable lately, and Bennett has been just that. Might not work, but still something I would want to see.
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #2026
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, Monahan's been invisible with his 10 goals and team leading 21 points in 20 games.

Let's get a guy who has 2 points in his last 13 games up there.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #2027
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Yeah, Monahan's been invisible with his 10 goals and team leading 21 points in 20 games.

Let's get a guy who has 2 points in his last 13 games up there.
He is definitely getting points, but it seems like when he isn't scoring the goals he isn't doing much else. Ik how that sounds, maybe there is a better way to explain in English that I don't know, but as I try to say earlier, Bennett has been more visible, although not getting as many points.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:15 PM   #2028
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post

Still amazes me that people assume Bennett is going to emerge offensively just because Backlund did.
He could. But at this point it's far more possible that he likely won't.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #2029
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
He is definitely getting points, but it seems like when he isn't scoring the goals he isn't doing much else
Yeah, and what do goals really mean anyways? It's not like that decides what wins the game or anything.

He has 5 goals in his last 7 games. Who cares what he does when he isn't scoring goals, since all he does is score goals.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #2030
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
Ik Bennett hasn't been getting the points, and it has been super frustrating cause he clearly deserves more then he is getting. But I think he has been playing so well, I would like to him between Johnny Hockey and Lindholm. Monny as much as I love him just doesn't seem to be as noticeable lately, and Bennett has been just that. Might not work, but still something I would want to see.
I think this is a little premature...

Monny hasn't played outstanding at times and has taken large stretches of games off, but he's playing like a true soccer striker, he can be invisible for most of the game but he pounces on chances when needed and buries them.

If he keeps putting up points, who cares if he disappears for the other 55 minutes as long as his +/- is positive and he's on the score sheet I think thats good enough and really all you can ask for
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #2031
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I think this is a little premature...

Monny hasn't played outstanding at times and has taken large stretches of games off, but he's playing like a true soccer striker, he can be invisible for most of the game but he pounces on chances when needed and buries them.

If he keeps putting up points, who cares if he disappears for the other 55 minutes as long as his +/- is positive and he's on the score sheet I think thats good enough and really all you can ask for
Totally agree, not saying I don't like what he is doing. What I mean is, I think Benny has been playing lights out, although he isn't scoring.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #2032
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thus far into the season, Bennett is among the very best in the NHL at generating scoring chances and individual scoring chances:

12th in the NHL in SCF/60
22nd in HDCF/60
49th in iSCF/60
16th in iHDCF/60

but his career oiSH% is a putrid 6.7% (average oiSH% of a 4th line is 6.4%) and this season it's at a career low 5.6%.

And those are just his offensive numbers. He's been spectacular in basically every aspect. He's had an absolutely fantastic start to the season.

Almost inevitable he'll burst.

Just for comparison's sake, our very own Elias Lindholm also went through an extended unsustainable low oiSH% to start his career. Through 5 seasons in Carolina, his oiSH% was 6.6% (career low was 5.4%) before inevitably breaking out in Calgary.

The only season in which Lindholm was better at producing chances and individual scoring chances than Bennett was during Bennett's legitimately bad sophomore season.

Flames fans who have already given up on Bennett and want to see him traded, shame on you.

Last edited by AustinL_NHL; 11-19-2018 at 02:39 PM.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AustinL_NHL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #2033
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I feel tonight's the night.

Benett with 2 goals and 3 points!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #2034
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly don't care much if Bennett never puts up decent point totals. That ship has long sailed and I'm at peace with it. Luckily, he's developing other valuable assets in his repertoire. The Flames have had very few open ice big hitters since Phaneuf and recently Ferland left, as well since the league has been slowly shifting away from those kind of players.

Bennett had an adjustment period trying to figure out what kind of player he needed to become to stick around. It must have pained him to realize it wasn't going to be a top line point producer, or even a C for that matter. Not every player is going to translate their offensive game from Jr, no matter how hard they try. History of chock full of those type of players.

However the ones who go on to have a long career and find success are the ones who find a way to adapt and change their style when it's clear what got them drafted in the first place is no longer suitable. I'm as disappointed as anyone that he'll never be the franchise C he was projected to be. But right now, I'm overjoyed he's turning into a physical beast and someone who can play up and down the lineup.

The emergence of Elias Lindholm has certainly helped to offset the lack of scoring from Bennett. But the Flames also needed toughness and grit in the bottom 6. When you look at it through that lens, Bennett emerging as this kind of player is still one of the elements the team needs to have success. I'd say all things considered, if this is Bennett's destiny and the role he needs to play to have success, he's doing an excellent job at it.

Goals are fun to watch and celebrate. But I also love old school style hockey, and Sam Bennett is old school. I'm loving this style of play, and I know he feels good about it too.

Not too shabby for a kid who couldn't do a single pull-up at the combine.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 11-19-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2035
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I feel tonight's the night.

Benett with 2 goals and 3 points!
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised to see 4 goals and 6 points. The guy has been playing so well and just hasn't been able to finish. Sam Bennett is such a good kid and I want him to succeed so badly.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #2036
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Still amazes me that people assume Bennett is going to emerge offensively just because Backlund did.
Sure, most players never take that next step. But the reason a lot of people think Bennett will is that he is doing lots of things right. And he is getting the chances. And as long as a player is getting the chances, you figure he will eventually start getting the points.

Bennett's confidence is shot. Yet he still does a lot of things well. When the points start to come, his confidence will return and the game should slow down for him. And when that happens, he has the talent to be a very good player - probably 50 points or more.

With a lot of guys that are putting up 25 points, you just can't say those things.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #2037
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He's younger than our top forward prospect not in the NHL in Mangiapane and we think we already know what we have in him?

Give your head a shake..

The league is littered with offensive guys that don't figure it out until their mid 20's.

He has the talent and is doing everything else right.

We all know what a confident Bennett can do. As he gets older that confidence will come and go less frequently.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:33 PM   #2038
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
They don’t assume Bennett will do it because Backlund did it. That’s you misunderstanding the comparison.

Some on this board have said Bennett will NEVER break out because his production has gone downhill. People use Backlund as an easy Flames example of why that statement is a stupid one because he’s a great example of a skill guy that took years to get it together offensively at the nil level.

You know what? Both players were first round picks with skill. Bennett in fact went top 4 and was ranked 1st by Central Scouting and Redline. His skill didn’t evaporate even though his confidence did. It’s foolish to write off players as young as Bennett is and assume they can’t or won’t improve. Plenty of posters on this board have made that mistake. There’s lots of time for Bennett to get his offensive confidence back and develop into a 2nd line player. Some people obviously had no patience for his slow development but not every player develops as fast as Tkachuk/Monahan did.

You think Carolina is gonna regret losing patience with Lindholm? Lindholm is having a breakout year at age 23/24. Sam Bennett just turned 22. Canes fans said Lindholm didn’t have a great shot. Many of you have said the same of young Bennett. Guess who’s leading the Flames in goals this year.

Still plenty of time for Bennett to break out. Glad Treliving has more patience than many of our fans.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 PM   #2039
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
They don’t assume Bennett will do it because Backlund did it. That’s you misunderstanding the comparison.

Some on this board have said Bennett will NEVER break out because his production has gone downhill. People use Backlund as an easy Flames example of why that statement is a stupid one.

You know what? Both players were first round picks with skill. Bennett in fact went top 4 and was ranked 1st by Central Scouting and Redline. His skill didn’t evaporate even though his confidence did. It’s foolish to write off players as young as Bennett is and assume they can’t or won’t improve. Plenty of posters on this board have made that mistake. There’s lots of time for Bennett to get his offensive confidence back and develop into a 2nd line player. Some people obviously had no patience for his slow development but not every player develops as fast as Tkachuk/Monahan did.

You think Carolina is gonna regret losing patience with Lindholm? Lindholm is having a breakout year at age 23/24. Sam Bennett just turned 22. Canes fans said Lindholm didn’t have a great shot. Many of you have said the same of young Bennett. Guess who’s leading the Flames in goals this year.

Still plenty of time for Bennett to break out. Glad Treliving has more patience than many of our fans.
The counterargument is Yakupov. But there's the Edmonton factor there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #2040
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The counterargument is Yakupov. But there's the Edmonton factor there.
Jesse Puljujarvi
Dylan Strome
Michael Dal Colle
Valeri Nichushkin
Griffin Reinhart
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote