Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #2061
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was through there yesterday and there was 2 people at the machines and not a single person in line at the form check.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #2062
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was busier than I’ve ever seen it at that same time last night. I believe that it was due to the security incident which caused a backlog of flights, and of the people trying to clear customs.

I’m not one to defend the airport authority in any way, but I believe that last night was a bit of an anomaly.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #2063
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually don't really understand the significance of this but it sounds pretty good. . If I recall WestJet utilizes these procedures so YYC would stand to benefit in operational capacity with this.

http://blog.navcanada.ca/world-first...andard-at-yyc/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:09 PM   #2064
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having a Nexus pass at YYC is such a friggin waste of money.

"Hi, we have Nexus passes, where is the Nexus line?"

"Sir there is no Nexus line. Please take off your shoes."
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #2065
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I actually don't really understand the significance of this but it sounds pretty good. . If I recall WestJet utilizes these procedures so YYC would stand to benefit in operational capacity with this.

http://blog.navcanada.ca/world-first...andard-at-yyc/
In a terminal airspace, the planes have to be separated either 1000 ft vertically or 3 miles side to side for 2 planes to be considered having surveillance separation, anything less is considered to be a loss of separation.

2 planes coming in on parallel approaches into YYC, there may be a chance that prior to the planes being on final, there is less than 3 miles between them, so what has usually happened is that the approaches are staggered. What this new separation standard is doing is that as soon as the planes are established on the RNP approaches onto the parallels, they are considered to be on final for their respective runways regardless of whether turns still need to be made, therefore, as they are considered to be on final to separate runways, the 3 mile separation no longer applies.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #2066
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Not to mention all the privacy you give up for nothing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #2067
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post

Nexus is for going through customs, no?

If there's a Nexus line that helps you get through security faster it's a bonus.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #2068
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chummer View Post
Nexus is for going through customs, no?

If there's a Nexus line that helps you get through security faster it's a bonus.
Nope it should not be looked at as a 'bonus' it's standard in all other major airports in Canada and US (giving you direct access to TSA Pre).

Calgary's domestic terminal also has a actual Nexus security lane.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 PM   #2069
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah never understood that. No expedited security at international terminal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #2070
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just flew home from San Diego last night. For the third time in three flights we waited at the gate for over 20 minutes because their was no ground crew. A very frustrated Westjet Pilot let us know about be delay on the PA system and added at the end “this is a common occurrence at YYC.

Good lord the International Terminal is such a ####ing joke.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #2071
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there plans to have a Nexus security line in the future? Did the airport authority just forget to include it like they did with water fountains and seating? (I know - call to gate...)

Not trying to sound snarky, and I don't actually mind the expansion for the most part, but in practice it does have some shortcomings.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #2072
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Are there plans to have a Nexus security line in the future? Did the airport authority just forget to include it like they did with water fountains?

Not trying to sound snarky, and I don't actually mind the expansion for the most part, but in practice it does have some shortcomings.
There is absolutely zero point of having a Nexus Card in the new international terminal in Calgary. You actually may get through quicker without one. You will benefit in the US with it though.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #2073
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Are there plans to have a Nexus security line in the future? Did the airport authority just forget to include it like they did with water fountains and seating? (I know - call to gate...)

Does the airport authority have any control over that? I assumed it was CATSA who ran the lines and decided how to staff them.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:48 AM   #2074
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Just flew home from San Diego last night. For the third time in three flights we waited at the gate for over 20 minutes because their was no ground crew. A very frustrated Westjet Pilot let us know about be delay on the PA system and added at the end “this is a common occurrence at YYC.

Good lord the International Terminal is such a ####ing joke.
Yeah it is quite common now for Westjet to wait at the gate for a crew. In the past it was always Air Canada that was waiting for a crew to show up but now Westjet is just as bad. The issue is that Westjet is trying to run their airport operations in a much more lean manner which unfortunately has resulted in shortages and poor/no contingency plans at times. Crews can be scheduled for back to back flights with barely enough time to go gate to gate and if a flight pushes late or comes in early it results in sitting at the gate.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #2075
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah it is quite common now for Westjet to wait at the gate for a crew. In the past it was always Air Canada that was waiting for a crew to show up but now Westjet is just as bad. The issue is that Westjet is trying to run their airport operations in a much more lean manner which unfortunately has resulted in shortages and poor/no contingency plans at times. Crews can be scheduled for back to back flights with barely enough time to go gate to gate and if a flight pushes late or comes in early it results in sitting at the gate.
The captain said on the PA they were calling the airport authority. Wouldn’t that be an airport problem then and not a Westjet issue?
Old 01-03-2019, 12:23 PM   #2076
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
There is absolutely zero point of having a Nexus Card in the new international terminal in Calgary. You actually may get through quicker without one. You will benefit in the US with it though.
That's just not true. Our Nexus security set up might be worse than any other major airport in NA but it isn't useless.

I haven't used the international terminal since June but when I did there was a Nexus line for security. It doesn't have a totally separate security screening area like TSA precheck in the US though. It's just like the Nexus line in the domestic terminals. You have a separate line up then join the regular security line at the front. In my experience it is typically faster if the regular security line up is long.

Clearing customs, leaving YYC or arriving, is a way faster and can't even be compared to non Nexus card holder though. I got through at least 15 minutes quicker than my non Nexus travelling companions when we went to the US last year. And that was at about 430 in the morning when Customs just opened. If you're travelling midday and there's a huge lineup, nexus will get you through customs way faster (assuming most/all of the nexus terminals are working).
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #2077
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That's just not true. Our Nexus security set up might be worse than any other major airport in NA but it isn't useless.

I haven't used the international terminal since June but when I did there was a Nexus line for security. It doesn't have a totally separate security screening area like TSA precheck in the US though. It's just like the Nexus line in the domestic terminals. You have a separate line up then join the regular security line at the front. In my experience it is typically faster if the regular security line up is long.

Clearing customs, leaving YYC or arriving, is a way faster and can't even be compared to non Nexus card holder though. I got through at least 15 minutes quicker than my non Nexus travelling companions when we went to the US last year. And that was at about 430 in the morning when Customs just opened. If you're travelling midday and there's a huge lineup, nexus will get you through customs way faster (assuming most/all of the nexus terminals are working).
I travel a lot and I’ve never had to wait at customs. Come in, put the slip into the machine and walk out. Each and every time. The Nexus line only has a few machines so when it’s backed up you are likely to get through the normal
Side quicker because over the past few years the Nexus card has become some sort of middle class status symbol. Every house wife and their dog now has one.

In my personal opinion I think you should have to have documented proof that you travel internationally ten times a year to even qualify for one.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #2078
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The captain said on the PA they were calling the airport authority. Wouldn’t that be an airport problem then and not a Westjet issue?
Yeah if they were calling the Aiport Authority it would have been a gate or bridge issue. Although the Captain may have incorrectly said Airport Authority when he actually meant the Westjet folks. Regardless, the shift to a leaner workforce at the airport for Westjet staff is creating a significant increase in gate delays in the last year.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 01:18 PM   #2079
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Yeah if they were calling the Aiport Authority it would have been a gate or bridge issue. Although the Captain may have incorrectly said Airport Authority when he actually meant the Westjet folks. Regardless, the shift to a leaner workforce at the airport for Westjet staff is creating a significant increase in gate delays in the last year.
In my experience, Westjet never leaves on time and is routinely 20-30 minutes off their scheduled arrival time. Air Canada seems to be much more timely in my
Opinion.

I had a pretty terrible travelling experience all around over the holidays. Before I went to SD, I went to visit family in Ottawa. Air Canada flight was so hot people were peeling all layers off and sweating like pigs. A dog in the cabin died mid flight ( I would definitely think the heat played some part of it), and when I landed my luggage somehow got lost on a direct flight.....
Old 01-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #2080
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Local spotter/videographer Alex Praglowski gives us 2018 in review for YYC:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc