Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 07:40 PM   #2601
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony-soprano View Post
Awesome thanks, i'll have a look! It seemed kind of difficult just to find a replacement for the stock wheels I had. Hopefully I find something similar or better for a decent price.
I've had a set of bulletproof Prime wheels from Chain Reaction now for 2 full seasons. They're even the deeper dish carbons. Was about $700 all in, including decent 25mm tubes and tires.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #2602
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i have pulled out 5 of our 6 summer bikes - three of them need some work on the brakes to get them to feel good.

i am hoping i can get away with a lever bleed on all of them. I am annoyed that my mtn bike has a spongy lever, i bought the bike last year, and it has shimano saint brakes.

i was happy that i could go to the bike shop and jsut pick up a bottle of mineral oil; however, i decided to get a spare set of pads for my rig - finned shimano brake pads are now $65 per set for resin and $72 for metallic
Old 04-08-2021, 07:16 PM   #2603
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone. Looking for some advice.

I had a bike get abandoned on the side of my house randomly about a month or so ago. I posted it on some groups seeing if anyone is missing a stolen bike. Didn’t get any replies.

Any ideas what I should do with it besides the dump? Somewhere to donate maybe and have someone give it some TLC and donate somewhere? Or even sell I don’t know. I’m not much of a bike guy, just have a cruiser.

I’d have to take a look at it again but it is a Specialized bike.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:33 PM   #2604
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I had a bike get abandoned on the side of my house randomly about a month or so ago. I posted it on some groups seeing if anyone is missing a stolen bike. Didn’t get any replies.

Any ideas what I should do with it besides the dump? Somewhere to donate maybe and have someone give it some TLC and donate somewhere? Or even sell I don’t know. I’m not much of a bike guy, just have a cruiser.

Have you looked at filing a police report? Someone may have reported it as stolen to them.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #2605
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, any bike I've found I've called the police and they picked it up.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:26 PM   #2606
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

check to see if it was put into bikeindex. CPS partners with bikeindex and uses this to help with stolen bikes.

https://bikeindex.org/
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #2607
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oddly didn’t really think of that for whatever reason. Will look into it. Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #2608
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

If the police don't take, look into Two Wheel View (https://www.twowheelview.org/) they're a local non-profit who takes donated bikes, refurbishes and sells the bikes to support their youth programming.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 12:20 AM   #2609
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve been riding frequently year round for over 15 years now. My greatest concern still remains not having faith in drivers. Having had a few close calls this has been confirmed when cycling alone, with family, in groups, etc. Driver training, respect and accountability, and refresher courses, as well as (ideally IMO for the able bodied/minded) prescribed cycling courses would certainly help reduce conflicts and frequency of incidents.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ca...ions-1.5382531
Old 04-11-2021, 12:25 AM   #2610
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
I’ve been riding frequently year round for over 15 years now. My greatest concern still remains not having faith in drivers. Having had a few close calls this has been confirmed when cycling alone, with family, in groups, etc. Driver training, respect and accountability, and refresher courses, as well as (ideally IMO for the able bodied/minded) prescribed cycling courses would certainly help reduce conflicts and frequency of incidents.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/ca...ions-1.5382531
I saw this on the news a day or 2 ago. The guy rides from an alley/path right into the road without stopping when he gets hit there does he not? That’s the first thing my wife said to me when we saw that.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:30 AM   #2611
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I saw this on the news a day or 2 ago. The guy rides from an alley/path right into the road without stopping when he gets hit there does he not? That’s the first thing my wife said to me when we saw that.
Article wasn’t written well but the car came out of the alley, not the cyclist. “ Dalton was hit by car that failed to come to a complete stop and made a left turn coming out of an alleyway”

that said quite a few years back a downtown bike courier DID come ripping out of an alley right into the path of a truck. Smoosh. A racer guy I knew who was also a courier told me that guy had it coming for years of reckless cycling. And had been warned many times. So yeah it does go both ways.

Regardless of fault, the car always “wins” even if the biker is “dead right””.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #2612
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

One of the best pieces of tech I've purchased in the last few years is the Garmin Varia Radar light. It detects when cars are approaching from behind and gives you a signal on your cycling computer (works on my Wahoo). It's great when you're doing solo or group rides out on the highway or do a lot of street riding. I received mine as a gift, but it's worth the $270 if you're putting in a lot of kms on the road.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/601468
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #2613
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for this, I didn’t know how useful this would really be, but I definitely like something that helps with safety out on the road. Now another thing to shop for....
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:45 PM   #2614
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve had the Varia for a couple seasons now. I can say that it has been a game Changer for me and my road awareness. I used for commuting, gravel rides, and road. I know a few others with recently acquired ones and they say the same thing. It’s astonishingly accurate for distance and counting and tracking vehicles behind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #2615
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode my mtn bike down in the bow bottom are yesterday. Some dry single track, but still many sloppy sections. While it was nice to be out on my mtn bike, the ride sort of sucked.

Not sure what I was thinking as my chain was bone dry, and my bike shifted like a potato. My rear brake was also terrible. Did a lever bleed today and that help some, then swapped out the pads and now it seems fine.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #2616
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does anyone ride with a mirror attached to their helmet? If so, what kind? I feel the need to get one. It would help to know what's behind me on the road without having to turn around...
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #2617
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Never tried a helmet mount, I have a bar end mirror on my road bike that I like. Takes some getting used to but works well.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:07 AM   #2618
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Does anyone ride with a mirror attached to their helmet? If so, what kind? I feel the need to get one. It would help to know what's behind me on the road without having to turn around...
Helmet mirrors are a waste of money.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:45 AM   #2619
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Thanks for this, I didn’t know how useful this would really be, but I definitely like something that helps with safety out on the road. Now another thing to shop for....
I think you'll really love it. A few of the guys I ride with have it as well and we all swear by it.

Your computer mount will give you a couple beeps and display lights to let you know a car is approaching. Depending on their speed you have 4-5 seconds before the pass you. It shows the car or multiple cars to the right side of the display.

As RichieRich said, the accuracy is amazing. Even in group rides, when you're riding in a pace line, it will detect the cars past the people behind you.

The only "glitch" I've seen is when you're on a group ride and make a turn, it will momentary detect the bikes behind you and beep. But it corrects almost immediately once you're all travelling in a line and at the same pace again.

Here's what the cars look like on the display.

The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 07:28 PM   #2620
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Due to years of cycling and various other sports and an accumulation of injuries and weird biomechanical adaptations I've been getting slightly less flexible in the hip, shoulder, and neck areas. Of course not doing regular gym workouts and definitely not stretching as well or as often hasn't helped either... and I know that's the case when certain things get sore or harder to do. So...I took myself to a paramedical guy who specializes in sports folks... put me on a daily program of CARS (Controlled articulated rotations). It's only ~11-13 mins/daily, easy enough to find videos on YouTube, and after just a few days am already finding it useful. Anyways... just thought I'd share since the general demographic seems to NOT be 20-somethings, and rather almost-40 or 50's.
Here's some easy reading on it FYI:
https://www.physioinq.com.au/blog/co...ular-rotations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: