Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #101
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Exactly. The guy is a sociopath. You can't have that many coincidences without raising an eyebrow. The win at any cost attitude seems to be along the lines of, as long as it works for me, I don't care what you do. Anyway, I have strong feelings about athletes as a whole - certainly the Canadian media portrays these guys as smartly dressed saintly family guys, but some of these guys are dirtbags in their private life. I wouldn't want a professional hockey player marrying my sister, that's for sure.
Quite a generalization.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #102
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I don't want to get into the debate about "cancel culture", I can't help but consider the overarching question: what are the qualifications to be drafted in and/or play in the NHL?

It has now come up in the past two drafts, and while I'm not condoning anything Mailleux did or what Mitchell Miller did, is zero tolerance now the standard? Should it be? Is there any opportunity for second chances? Or is it one and done when it comes to improper/illegal acts involving women? Or if he said a racial slur? What if it was an assault charge from a bar room fight, or something stupid like public urination?

To be clear, I have no issue with putting professional athletes (and prospective professional athletes) to a higher standard. The seemingly universal reaction to what the Habs did yesterday suggests that's what we're moving to. But the fact he was still drafted yesterday (with other teams apparently considering drafting him in the second round) shows not everyone is there yet.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #103
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen FTW View Post
Is that the one where Tom Cruise has the little pony tail?
No, I believe that’s The Last Samurai.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Boys will be boys, right?

What about girls? She has no say or rights? Just supposed to 'get over it'? What if she was your daughter? What if this happened to your mom? What if this happened to your wife?

How do you think she feels having had this picture thrust into her public life? All her friends, family, professors, future boyfriends, possible future children. This picture may come to haunt her at any time.

To me, it was kind of disgusting that Montreal selected him. What disgusts me more? Not a mention of her, or helping her, or reaching out to her. It was all about him.
1. He wouldnt be around to be drafted.
2. Unfortunately, as much as we may idolize the sport that we love there are many disgusting people who play it.

Its not the NHL's responsibility to compensate victims. It would be nice, but thats just not the case. We as fans can choose to judge that behaviour as we so wish, but it doesnt make the teams or the League responsible.

The sad fact of the matter is that he's a kid and the Habs are a business. This will be swept away.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #105
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Someone was eventually going to pick this player. Most other teams would also have taken a chance and drafted him -- just not in the 1st rd. This doesn't say much about Montreal -- they are not anymore 'classless' than any other team because of it. They just happened to be the team that took the bite.

NHL is a business, and drafting this player is a good business move outside of the bad PR.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #106
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
No, I believe that’s The Last Samurai.
Solid Ted Lasso injection. Bravo
Old 07-24-2021, 02:18 PM   #107
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418786310396030978

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418791040018960385
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:44 PM   #108
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN posted a 12 minute zoom interview with the guy. He certainly came across as remorseful to me, but to me it isn't much of a story with him - it's more a story of Bergevin always playing the cowboy. It's a bad thing the kid did and with just a fine there's no doubt the victim is angry about it as there wasn't a hard punishment. Bergevin again just seems to like being around controversy which is quite annoying to me, where in a weird way, again, I think he enjoys it.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:52 PM   #109
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Montreal Canadiens turned their back on everything they used to stand for
Quote:
The Montreal Canadiens once were the standard of success and class. Over the last 28 years, they have lost the first part. On Friday night, they lost the other.
Not very happy in Montreal

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2...acter-bergevin
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #110
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
TSN posted a 12 minute zoom interview with the guy. He certainly came across as remorseful to me, but to me it isn't much of a story with him - it's more a story of Bergevin always playing the cowboy. It's a bad thing the kid did and with just a fine there's no doubt the victim is angry about it as there wasn't a hard punishment. Bergevin again just seems to like being around controversy which is quite annoying to me, where in a weird way, again, I think he enjoys it.
There wasn't a hard punishment? Maybe she should go to the police if something deserving harsh punishment was done , surely its illegal and sexual harassment should be punished. The NHL is not the court . The world is full of scumbags , this may have been a classless act but I would bet at least 5% of boys his age have done similar acts. I know it was that way when I was his age, everyone saw every video and picture, that was ever sent out. Maybe its gotten better since the early years of smart phones but I just can't seem to grasp the severity of this situation .
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:37 PM   #111
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Maybe its gotten better since the early years of smart phones but I just can't seem to grasp the severity of this situation .
Well then frankly you are part of the problem.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:40 PM   #112
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
There wasn't a hard punishment? Maybe she should go to the police if something deserving harsh punishment was done , surely its illegal and sexual harassment should be punished. The NHL is not the court . The world is full of scumbags , this may have been a classless act but I would bet at least 5% of boys his age have done similar acts. I know it was that way when I was his age, everyone saw every video and picture, that was ever sent out. Maybe its gotten better since the early years of smart phones but I just can't seem to grasp the severity of this situation .
1. She did go to the police.
2. It was a criminal act not a classless act.
3. He took a picture without asking her and proceeded to share it.

You don’t see the severity of taking non consensual pictures of people and sharing them?
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #113
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
I don’t recall the Flames doing this. What’s the story?
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
probably thought of Taro Tsujimoto, but that were the Sabres, not the Flames.
The story is that in the 1975 draft, Cliff Fletcher intended to take Kent Nilsson with a late pick. But Swedes were hardly scouted in those days, and he somehow got the name mixed up with another player. In the 12th round (!) he drafted ‘Torbjorn Nilsson’. Every hockey club in Sweden, it's been said, went frantically searching for any player with that name, to see if they could get the transfer fee.

Needless to say, no ‘Torbjorn Nilsson’ was ever found, and the following year Fletcher drafted Kent Nilsson in the 4th.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #114
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
The story is that in the 1975 draft, Cliff Fletcher intended to take Kent Nilsson with a late pick. But Swedes were hardly scouted in those days, and he somehow got the name mixed up with another player. In the 12th round (!) he drafted ‘Torbjorn Nilsson’. Every hockey club in Sweden, it's been said, went frantically searching for any player with that name, to see if they could get the transfer fee.

Needless to say, no ‘Torbjorn Nilsson’ was ever found, and the following year Fletcher drafted Kent Nilsson in the 4th.
As Maple Leafs GM, Fletcher also signed Jeff Finger to a ridiculous deal and a lot of people believe he actually meant to sign another player.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:46 PM   #115
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
As Maple Leafs GM, Fletcher also signed Jeff Finger to a ridiculous deal and a lot of people believe he actually meant to sign another player.
It's like what a colleague once said of Winston Churchill: ‘Winston was usually right, but when he was wrong, my God!’
Old 07-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #116
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

At least they didn’t draft Nilsson the folk singer.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:53 PM   #117
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post

The other player was believed to be Kurt Sauer, which would have been just as perplexing of a contract.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 05:53 PM   #118
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's possible that Cliff thought they were drafting Kent at the time, but the rest of that story sounds like something someone made up along the way.

There was a Swedish player named Torbjorn Nilsson. He was also drafted by Winnipeg in the WHA draft that year: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/....php?pid=47605

He played in the same league as Kent that season, but on a different team. His stats were nothing spectacular, but neither were anyone's who was getting picked in the 12th round in 1975. In fact, at that point in the draft, a lot of teams just didn't bother using their picks anymore.

Kent wasn't even eligible for the 1975 draft. He was only 19 and the draft age was still 20 at the time. If there was a name mix-up that's the likely cause. Someone probably said "what about that Nilsson kid in Sweden?" and they looked up the list of eligible players and didn't see Kent's name, but did see Torbjorn and assumed it must be the same kid using two different names.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:56 PM   #119
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ No doubt the origin of the “There are two Nilsson’s?!?” meme...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:01 PM   #120
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
^^ No doubt the origin of the “There are two Nilsson’s?!?” meme...

What was I thinking?