Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #401
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
...Vancouver is probably a better team today that they were yesterday but longer term I think this still just hurts them more.
Yes, but the Canucks were BAAAAAAAD last year. Like, REALLY BAD. How much better does this trade make them today? Maybe they finish bottom-20 instead of bottom-25? Maybe they hang around the playoff bubble past the TD? There will be no cap savings beyond this year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #402
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Actually Dylan Guenther probably will. Pronman's #2 rated player in the draft. 6'2'', but a high-end skater with skill and a high compete level and work ethic. Maybe won't be in the league next year, but a reasonable bet to meet or exceed Garland's value in the not too distant future and do so on an ELC contract.

You never know with prospects but this seems like a huge missed opportunity. If it was Kent Johnson I'd have said I like that prospect a lot but he's a big gamble as to whether he can do what he does at the NHL - very much a "swing for the fences pick... so maybe you'd rather have a sure-fire NHLer in Garland than take that risk. But Guenther is a lot more of a sure thing.

All of which is to say that the way the draft played out made the trade a little bit worse for Vancouver, in my opinion... but it was already pretty bad.
If Guenther is a lot more of a sure thing why did he fall to 9?

Also just because he was pronmans number 2 prospect doesn't make him a sure thing.

The athletics analytics guy has garland as a top line player by gvsa right now

Guenther is a reasonable bet to exceed that value in his ELC? Really?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:13 PM   #403
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yes, but the Canucks were BAAAAAAAD last year. Like, REALLY BAD. How much better does this trade make them today? Maybe they finish bottom-20 instead of bottom-25? Maybe they hang around the playoff bubble past the TD? There will be no cap savings beyond this year.

The Canucks were really bad, but it was a very strange season where their best offensive threat was injured for most of the season and they couldn't get any traction, especially after the team all got covid. Ultimately I think that there is a relatively strong core to build around.

The main area they need to shore up is a right side defensive defenseman for Hughes and I think they should be a playoff team if they stay relatively healthy. I think that is a team that should in an average season be in playoff contention, likely in a 5-8 position where they need to hope that Podkolzin plays above his station.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Garland - Horvat - Hoglander
Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin
Highmore - BadBenningSigning - Motte

Hughes - BadBenningSigning
Ekmond Larson - Schmidt
Julovi - Myers

Demko
Holtby
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:37 PM   #404
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
There was a consensus top 9 players, as has been widely reported. Other than Power and Beniers going in the top 2, it was not altogether clear who would get picked where with the next 7 picks. Most had Guenther going in the top 5, but it turned out that one of the teams likely to pick him wanted to take a swing at Johnson's higher skill ceiling, and the rest was largely positional. So, he fell to 9 by pure dumb luck - which would have worked out great for the Canucks, because they aren't in desperate need of center depth in their prospect pool (they don't have any, but they probably don't need anyone either for the next few years).
Quote:
Also just because he was pronmans number 2 prospect doesn't make him a sure thing.
No one said he was. No prospect is a sure thing, other than McDavid-likes. But he is a better bet as a sure thing than most of the other guys who could reasonably have fallen to them. The most likely guys to fall to 9 were Brandt Clarke, Kent Johnson and Simon Edvinsson. The first two are much riskier picks than Guenther, and the latter doesn't have Guenther's ceiling as a potential impact player.
Quote:

I guess we'll see, but that Garland valuation isn't without risk either. He's a smaller guy who was playing high in a skill-deprived lineup. Someone had to produce offense for them. I like Garland as a player, but there's a real risk that he won't be as good with Vancouver next year as he was last year. The year before he was on pace for 47 points in 82 games - good, but not great.

Remember, Dom, the "athletics analytics guy" as you call him, had Timo Meier as one of the best RFA signings in the league two years ago, and that hasn't exactly panned out. Which doesn't mean he didn't have good reason to predict that Meier would be a top line quality player - all the evidence pointed to good outcomes, just like it does with Garland. But there's always a fair bit of risk involved. It wouldn't be at all surprising if he ends up being a 20 goal, 25-30 assist guy with the Canucks - which wouldn't be terrible, per se, but it wouldn't be worth 9th overall and certainly not worth taking on OEL.

The long and short of it is, when they made this trade, it looked very much like the 9th overall would be Clarke or Johnson. Guenther is probably a better prospect than either of them in a vacuum, and also a better fit for Vancouver's system. So the deal got worse for them due to the way the draft played out. Which was my point.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #405
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Problem with what you have above us they don’t have the cap space for Bad Benning signings

Pettersson is getting $8M
Hughes is getting at least $6M probably
Garland will probably command around $5.5M

That’s $19.5M. With those three signed and Ferland on LTIR the Canucks would only have about $2M in cap space, would still need to sign Juolevi and Dickinson.

Unless they can move out both Virtanen and Schmidt they don’t really have room to add a top 4 defensive dman.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #406
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Problem with what you have above us they don’t have the cap space for Bad Benning signings

Pettersson is getting $8M
Hughes is getting at least $6M probably
Garland will probably command around $5.5M

That’s $19.5M. With those three signed and Ferland on LTIR the Canucks would only have about $2M in cap space, would still need to sign Juolevi and Dickinson.

Unless they can move out both Virtanen and Schmidt they don’t really have room to add a top 4 defensive dman.
This is the most optimistic outlook I could possibly come up with for the Canucks after this deal. It is BARELY cap compliant - less than $200k in cap space. Very difficult to maneuver in the event of injuries or whatever, and it goes without saying there's no room for them to re-sign Travis Hamonic. And it's not even a full 23-man roster.
Spoiler!

In order to get there, I had to do the following:
1. Buy out Virtanen;
2. Trade Holtby with no salary retained (seems very unlikely without adding at least a 2nd rounder);
3. Sign Dickinson to a $2.8M AAV deal (which is what he was valued at in Dallas per evolving hockey);
4. Sign Garland to a $4.5M AAV deal (which is a slight discount from his evolving hockey value of $4.7M);
5. Re-sign Juolevi to a bargain contract of $1.1M, which might be fair, but it's hard to tell what his demands would be;
6. Assume that Petterson would sign a bridge for $7.5M x 3, which is probably optimistic;
7. Assume Hughes would sign a bridge for $6.25M x 3 which sort of lines up with guys like Werenski and McAvoy but may no longer be possible after the Heiskanen and Makar contracts; and
8. Fill out the lineup with the cheapest guys they have in their system.

If all of those things end up working out for the Canucks, then they'll BARELY make it, and have to lose a player in Hamonic that they probably want to sign. If any of those guys - especially Pettersson, Garland and Hughes - play any type of hardball at all, or sign an offer sheet elsewhere, they're pretty much screwed.

I think they have no choice but to trade Schmidt... and his value is probably as low as it can be right now.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:06 PM   #407
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk about the Nucks being free of the boat anchor contracts after this season fails to consider Benning would have just used the cap space for more boat anchor contracts. OEL is a galaxy brain move by Benning that allows him to go on vacation during 2022 free agency.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #408
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

shouldve traded our first for garland
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #409
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
shouldve traded our first for garland
Talking heads seem to agree that the deal wasn't there unless you took on OEL as well. Arizona desperately wanted to get rid of that contract.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:05 PM   #410
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Talking heads seem to agree that the deal wasn't there unless you took on OEL as well. Arizona desperately wanted to get rid of that contract.
Yup.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:34 PM   #411
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post

Garland is not an unknown commodity - we all know exactly what he is. And calling him a top line player is a bit of a stretch IMO. Can he play on the top line? Well sure. Should he? I think he is a 2nd liner.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:51 AM   #412
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Garland is not an unknown commodity - we all know exactly what he is. And calling him a top line player is a bit of a stretch IMO. Can he play on the top line? Well sure. Should he? I think he is a 2nd liner.
Agreed. I think Garland has gotten a bit overrated after last season, and I am far from convinced that he is much more than what we have seen to this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #413
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you Vancouver for taking OEL and saving me from my nightmare!

Still, that's a good trade for Vancouver I think. Getting Garland works.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: