Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #21
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't care what your political views are, it was pointing out that this thread is now going to turn into a ####show of political debate.
Ya, I will delete it your right
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #22
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I would agree that normally a political association would be irrelevant, but in this case it's not really. He is a VIOLENT trump supporter, Qanon believer, and generally could be characterized as one of the cultist zombies that make up about 30% of the american population.
I wish media didn't lend weight to political views of entertainment celebrities. Political intellectuality is not what they are good at.
Sadly they do hold influence on the public
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vancouver will probably sign him; they've already got a guy accused of sexual assault on the squad so in for a penny...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 09:24 AM   #24
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean this is a 53 point Dman who was a +12, not some scrub. That should tell you what a big POS this guy is to get cut.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #25
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I mean this is a 53 point Dman who was a +12, not some scrub. That should tell you what a big POS this guy is to get cut.
Agreed, seems like he has gotten away with a lot over his career right from Junior. Unfortunately it seems that even as big of a POS as he is wasn't enough, as it was not until this year when he upped his game to getting into it with his teammates while having a less than stellar season. If he was still performing at a high level when it happened, NY would have shipped out their backup.

Huge PR liability for any team as he gets involved in politics on social media (along with fringe conspiracy theories and QANON trash) and loves to clap back at his critics. Once threatened a fan on twitter to meat him outside MSG for a butt kicking.

Perfect Edmonton Signing, they might even have two players wear the 'C' this year.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #26
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The Habs tried to get him at the trade deadline. They wanted DeAngelo to mutually terminate his contract with the Rangers and they would sign him for his buyout amount. DeAngelo refused.

I am sure there will be a few teams that will try and get him in a buy low for potential high reward contract.

He is the Sean Avery of this generation of players.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #27
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The Habs tried to get him at the trade deadline. They wanted DeAngelo to mutually terminate his contract with the Rangers and they would sign him for his buyout amount. DeAngelo refused.

I am sure there will be a few teams that will try and get him in a buy low for potential high reward contract.

A 25 year old right-handed defenseman .65 PPG over the last 2 seasons?

This guy should be one of the most coveted assets in the game. The fact that he's not says a boat load.

Avery was a decent player, but nothing that would fill any special void.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:02 AM   #28
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope for nothing but the worst for the team that gives this guy another chance in 2021.

It's one thing to give another chance to a 17 year old, but Deangelo bas been given multiple opportunities, has already made millions of dollars playing a game for a living, and still hasn't improved his character.

Some people can't be fixed. The team that signs him should be ripped to shreds by the media.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 11:07 AM   #29
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
You can always put a player on waivers for the purposes of a buyout.
you can? I thought there were two windows; one after the Stanley Cup, but before free agency, and a second if a team has an arbitration hearing.
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:08 AM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

My money is on Edmonton - they are sufficiently desperate to win, and they have cap capital burning a hole in their pockets.

They also suffer from smartest-guy-in-the-room syndrome, as well as having the arrogance to believe that being in Edmonton would probably be good for the lad.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:11 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Here's a thing that's probably never been said: that is an unfair smear against Sean Avery's character.

... Seriously, though, Avery may have been a huge piece of #### on the ice and by all accounts an arrogant tool off of it, but he was at least a very strong proponent of gay rights a decade ago (before You Can Play was a household name) both within and outside of hockey. Of course, even when trying to combat bigotry, he often managed to screw that up too because he's a complete idiot, but at least he tried and did in fact accomplish some good at times.

I'm not sure there's anything good you could say about DeAngelo's contributions to society.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 11:20 AM   #32
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

It doesn't need to be a literal 1 for 1 comparison between Avery and DeAngelo. Just a similar situation.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:23 PM   #33
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I don't know if I'd be to upset if the Flames gave him a 1-2 year deal. How else are you going to get good players?
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:24 PM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I don't know if I'd be to upset if the Flames gave him a 1-2 year deal. How else are you going to get good players?
I would rather have good people.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:30 PM   #35
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I would agree that normally a political association would be irrelevant, but in this case it's not really. He is a VIOLENT trump supporter, Qanon believer, and generally could be characterized as one of the cultist zombies that make up about 30% of the american population.
What a dumb comment. Why are you doing this? It's draft day and you want to steer us this way? Come on.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 02:32 PM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes players are just such bad eggs that their playing ability doesn't make up for it.

This is one of those cases.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:50 PM   #37
GhostCookie
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Sometimes players are just such bad eggs that their playing ability doesn't make up for it.

This is one of those cases.
Exactly!

If your moral compass isn't telling you to take a hard pass on signing a guy who is really just trash person, then hopefully your common sense tells you that you probably don't want infighting and drama through your dressing room. And if you have to take over a players twitter to keep him from embarrassing himself and the organization, it's probably not worth the effort.
GhostCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 02:59 PM   #38
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

But hopefully he's learned his lesson and will change a bit a least because it sounds like other teams are interested in him as well. If he still wants to play in the NHL.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #39
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
What a dumb comment. Why are you doing this? It's draft day and you want to steer us this way? Come on.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #40
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
But hopefully he's learned his lesson and will change a bit a least because it sounds like other teams are interested in him as well. If he still wants to play in the NHL.
He's had multiple chances to "learn his lesson". He is what he is at this point.