Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2021, 06:36 AM   #21
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas in on Eichel?

FML

That franchise is pretty much the worst thing to happen to my NHL/Flames Fandom.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 07:00 AM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
It kind of bugs me when Friedman says the Flames don't have enough interesting pieces to acquire Eichel, then he goes on to say Anaheim does.
It shouldn't. It's just the way things are. If you think either Pelletier or Zary are in the same class of prospect as Zegras or Drysdale, you're sadly mistaken. Zegras has top line potential. Drysdale has top pair potential. Both are dynamic offensive players.

Quote:
Are pieces like 3rd OA, Zegras, Drysdale really more interesting that Tkachuk?
Yes, because Buffalo should be concerned about team building, but recouping a big salary if they can. If you're taking that contract on, you're making a big commitment to a player on the wing. Try and consider the foundational pieces that the Sabres are getting in Zegras and Drysdale, then add in another top player with the third over all. Cozens/Zegras as the 1/2 punch in the middle would be pretty impressive. Dahlin/Drysdale is pretty good on the back end. Then add in Power and Eklund to those four players. Yeah, that's way better than Matthew Tkachuk and some middle six prospects.

Quote:
I almost wonder if Friedman thinks Tkachuk isn't on the table at all in terms of Eichel offers.
I think everyone knows Tkachuk is on the table, just the suitors may be very limited because of his future contract. If his camp is holding firm on that $9M number, the interest may be quite limited.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #23
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk should be on the table after last season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Tkachuk should be on the table after last season.
Right...every time a young player has a down season, they should be traded.

Its the best way to build a team
Old 07-10-2021, 07:49 AM   #25
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really think if both drysdale and Zegras were on the table along with Anaheim’s first round pick, the deal would’ve done already. That is a huge haul especially if there is no cap going back. Considering the other teams in on eichel, that must not be on the table yet. I imagine Buffalo is asking for all that but I bet Anaheim is probably offering something like Drysdale + 1st round pick + Comtois. Buffalo might get what they are asking for from Anaheim but it would be basically emptying your prospect cub boards in the middle/early stages of a rebuild - that’s a difficult thing to do.

If Calgary is truly offering Tkachuk, that’s a pretty competitive offer along with their first round pick and say, Pelletier. Not sure if that’s realistic though. I don’t think Calgary is willing to give them tkachuk. What’s interesting is that if giordano is selected in the expansion draft and Monahan is on LTIR… the flames could feasibly acquire eichel without having to send much salary out to make room. Unlikely, I know but getting eichel while keeping Lindholm, Gaudreau, backlund, eat bread and Monahan would be pretty incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 08:14 AM   #26
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

This is all so confusing. Friedman goes on the Fan yesterday morning and says he has no news on the Flames. Later that day he posts this about the Gaudreau extension and Eichel. He's also on Edmonton radio saying Monahan might not be ready to start the season which flies in the face of what is out there but who knows, might not be wrong? Weird stuff.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:21 AM   #27
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

On Reddit the sports subs rate press reports/rumours with tiers. The higher the number the less reliable the source. And it’s rated specific to the team. I’d rate Friedman a Tier 3. Does he ever get it right when discussing the Flames? Lots of ‘guess’ proviso so he is cover his ass. But it seems like he is just tossing a bone to the Flames fandom without any real sources or news.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
On Reddit the sports subs rate press reports/rumours with tiers. The higher the number the less reliable the source. And it’s rated specific to the team. I’d rate Friedman a Tier 3. Does he ever get it right when discussing the Flames? Lots of ‘guess’ proviso so he is cover his ass. But it seems like he is just tossing a bone to the Flames fandom without any real sources or news.
He mentioned the Lucic-Neal swap weeks before it went down
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 08:30 AM   #29
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I guess I just don't get why, if you have this Flames specific news that is kind of big and you want to throw the Flames fan base a bone, you wouldn't do it on the Flames flagship radio station.

Why hide it?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #30
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I guess I just don't get why, if you have this Flames specific news that is kind of big and you want to throw the Flames fan base a bone, you wouldn't do it on the Flames flagship radio station.

Why hide it?
I notice he does that on Calgary radio a lot, especially the Friday segment. They always ask him if he has any big stories, and he usually says no. I always assumed it was because he was trying to save the juiciest news for HNIC on Saturday. But in this case there are no more broadcasts so I am not sure what his reasoning is unless he didn't get confirmation until after the radio hit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 08:37 AM   #31
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I would be willing to bet that Nault breaks down and cries about it on air if that goes down.
If Will Nault breaks down in a forest but no one is listening, does it make a sound?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #32
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post

Why hide it?
And if he’s going to hide it, why are they paying him? Or does he just have to fill the slot because everyone is SN?
Old 07-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #33
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry, Gaudreau I don't want. Eichel, I don't care either way.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #34
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Friedman would have given the update if Pinder had directly asked about Gaudreau's contract extension.

Because I'm pretty sure he only asked about buyouts and Eichel.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Right...every time a young player has a down season, they should be traded.

Its the best way to build a team
"On the table" doesn't equal "should be traded'.

I have no idea why any player on this roster is considered untouchable much less one who is not signed long term.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:07 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to see a Gaudreau signing and Eichel trade just to see ostrich sized egg on Francis's face.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:21 AM   #37
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I really think if both drysdale and Zegras were on the table along with Anaheim’s first round pick, the deal would’ve done already. That is a huge haul especially if there is no cap going back. Considering the other teams in on eichel, that must not be on the table yet. I imagine Buffalo is asking for all that but I bet Anaheim is probably offering something like Drysdale + 1st round pick + Comtois. Buffalo might get what they are asking for from Anaheim but it would be basically emptying your prospect cub boards in the middle/early stages of a rebuild - that’s a difficult thing to do.

If Calgary is truly offering Tkachuk, that’s a pretty competitive offer along with their first round pick and say, Pelletier. Not sure if that’s realistic though. I don’t think Calgary is willing to give them tkachuk. What’s interesting is that if giordano is selected in the expansion draft and Monahan is on LTIR… the flames could feasibly acquire eichel without having to send much salary out to make room. Unlikely, I know but getting eichel while keeping Lindholm, Gaudreau, backlund, eat bread and Monahan would be pretty incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not that Tkachuk doesn’t have great trade value, it’s more that he’s not really the premium piece Buffalo should be wanting in moving a Eichel.

And Calgary simply doesn’t have the prospect pieces to headline a deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #38
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
"On the table" doesn't equal "should be traded'.

I have no idea why any player on this roster is considered untouchable much less one who is not signed long term.
He is 23, he is among the top 50 point getters in the entire NHL since entering the league, 6th at his position, he is good defensively, he is a pain in the ass to play against, and he is without question a leader on his teams thus far.

What are you trading for that makes the club better? Those are the kind of players teams are looking for, not to get rid of.

No one should be untradeable because its the logo on the front before the name on the back....but it better be to improve the club. You arent making the club better by trading him because there is no one better he can fetch, at least one for one.

As for not signed long term...then we best trade Monahan, and Gaudreau, and Mangiapane and Dube and Kylington and Valimaki too...none of them are signed long term either.
Old 07-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #39
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would love to see a Gaudreau signing and Eichel trade just to see ostrich sized egg on Francis's face.

Eric Francis literally sucks at everything. How is he still employed?

There’s probably a handful of joe blows on this very site who could do a better job.

Is journalism a “who you know” industry or something?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #40
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The nicest thing I can say about Francis is that he's a lot better than David Staples.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread