Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-22-2021, 02:58 PM   #261
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So because we are better than the Oilers we are elite? I don’t think anyone said that anywhere?

Edmonton rode a year of hot goaltending from a 39 year old to a playoff sweep. They had among the highest shooting % and best save % in the division. Outside of 2 incredible players I don’t like that roster. Nurse took a step but in my opinion Nuge took a step back.

In my opinion let’s let the dust settle before we talk about which team is better and where the Flames stand.
I would say it's a common rhetoric for many Flames fans to think the team is improved in the offseason every year while slighting other teams that were or are simply better.

I personally, don't give a damn about the Oilers, but I'm certainly not going to start saying this team is better than anyone that was in the division last year (that also performed better) based on the hot pile of garbage they were most of the year and really for most of the last 2 seasons.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:59 PM   #262
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
something I read around Carolinas interest in Tkachuk with it being proposed that something around Necas and Teravainen being the return. Necas is a budding number 1 center, and Teravainen is a great complimentary scoring winger.
Maybe that was here or some other forum? That seems like a fan wet dream. I would hope if that was actually offered we’d have said yes instantly. I can’t see Carolina doing that but I didn’t think they give away a future #1 goalie for nothing either so maybe there’s a chance?

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 07-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #263
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Maybe that was here or some other forum? That seems like a fan wet dream. I would hope if that was actually offered we’d have said yes instantly. I can’t see Carolina doing that but I didn’t think they give away a future #1 goalie for nothing either so maybe there’s a chance?
Carolina isn't trading Necas right now. He's still got a year of ELC left.

They'd be stupid to trade him ever IMO, but the only hope would be next off season if his contract demands are too steep for the very cheap Hurricanes.
Old 07-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #264
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Yeah I agree, just what was posted. I would certainly add a draft pick to that, and drive Tkachuk to the airport.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:14 PM   #265
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Carolina isn't trading Necas right now. He's still got a year of ELC left.

They'd be stupid to trade him ever IMO, but the only hope would be next off season if his contract demands are too steep for the very cheap Hurricanes.
Exactly, hence the whole idea must have been someone dreaming.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
Old 07-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #266
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418784914372104197
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #267
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #268
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on the july 25 31 podcast.

Friedman says that Calgary keeps going in and out on Eichel. It depends on do they think the price that was previously asked of them will change. Very difficult for him to get his finger on it because teams say they can't do it, but then keep trying.

He also said one of the more interesting teams to watch over the next 4 or 5 days is Calgary. Lots of conversations about the direction they want to go and how to replace the minutes and role of Giordano

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-25-2021 at 10:41 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:36 AM   #269
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go in for Suter to much Gios minutes.

Buffalo will crack. Question now is, do the Flames add the 2022 1st to make it happen.

Only move Monahan IF you get Eichel.

Alleviate the looming contract issues with Gaudreau and Chucky by moving one of them asap. IMO, one of them has to go over Monahan.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:46 AM   #270
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Go in for Suter to much Gios minutes.

Buffalo will crack. Question now is, do the Flames add the 2022 1st to make it happen.

Only move Monahan IF you get Eichel.

Alleviate the looming contract issues with Gaudreau and Chucky by moving one of them asap. IMO, one of them has to go over Monahan.
I would move Tkachuk, I believe he gets a substantial return and helps alleviate that qualifying offer issue. There will be lots of suitors for Tkachuk, many more than Gaudreau.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #271
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only way I see it working is basically a three way trade where Flames trade Tkachuk for futures and then and them to Buffalo.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:49 AM   #272
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Eichel is the reason Treliving hasn't made his moves yet. Eichel is Plan A.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:51 AM   #273
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I think Eichel is the reason Treliving hasn't made his moves yet. Eichel is Plan A.
Just hope they know when to walk away so they don't miss out on any other opportunities.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #274
Pickle Juice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Completely agree
Old 07-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #275
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn’t move Tkachuk for Eichel or have that intention. Whomever wins the Eichel “sweepstakes” are going to have significant regret. Tkachuk can get you significant pieces.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:59 AM   #276
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa GM View Post
I wouldn’t move Tkachuk for Eichel or have that intention. Whomever wins the Eichel “sweepstakes” are going to have significant regret. Tkachuk can get you significant pieces.
I think whomever wins Eichel is going to get a top 5 C in the league. He is young, his neck will recover just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 AM   #277
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Say it all you want, and I do agree that Edmonton is thin, but there is no basis for Flames fans to suggest we are better than the Oilers right now. The overconfidence of our fanbase boggles the mind, almost like clockwork with the offseason and it's like this team suddenly goes from mediocre to elite every year.

If the roster is overhauled fairly significantly it's possible the team is better than Edmonton in a few weeks, but going into another season with nearly the same forward group puts this team safely behind most of the Canadian teams once again.
Suggesting you could bounce back and be better than a team constructed as poorly as the Oilers is a grand canyon sized gap different than suggesting the Flames have become an elite team.

Why not respond to what's actually being said?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 11:15 AM   #278
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else starting to think there are a few things linked to each other coming up?

If we can acquire Eichel, we extend Gaudreau and get back to it.

If we can’t acquire Eichel, we don’t extend Gaudreau and truly begin that “new era” (rebuild)?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #279
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Anyone else starting to think there are a few things linked to each other coming up?

If we can’t acquire Eichel, we don’t extend Gaudreau and truly begin that “new era” (rebuild)?
I don't think acquiring Eichel will have any effect on the decision to re-sign Gaudreau
Old 07-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #280
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

I hope this is the plan. Face facts and commit to a direction.

Also for the Carolina speculation, Necas plays wing and there's 0% chance that Carolina trades his ELC for Tkachuk's $8 million qualifying offer.
Closed Thread