nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:26 PM   #1962
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
sounds like a wrestler name, can't be trusted
Her finisher is "Cuts like a Knife". And that's exactly what she'll do with taxes too!
Old 07-21-2021, 04:30 PM   #1963
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
sounds like a wrestler name, can't be trusted
Or a Stan Lee superhero.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:34 PM   #1964
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
The 2021 Fiscal Plan indicates that capital spending on roads will be about $800M/year with about $500M/year for maintenance and repair over the next three years.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/6f47...an-2021-24.pdf

City of Calgary capital spending on roads is expected to total about $705M for 2020-2024 (though the last two years are tiny). Operating costs of roads are about $130M/year.

https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/w...20Schedule.pdf

While Cities generally don't have the power to tax fuel directly, the Government of Canada fuel revenues (about $1B collected in Alberta) generally are transferred back to Cities. It could be easily argued that the drivers of Calgary collectively pay in fuel taxes an amount that covers the costs of building and maintaining the roads of Calgary.

And if you divide the costs of roads by the passenger-trips, passenger-km and freight-tonne km that they carry, roads are extremely cheap for Governments because users pay for most of the capital and operating costs themselves.
I don’t think this is a fair view of the things roads need to pay for though. They also need to cover the costs of transit and other measures that keep roads empty. Without transit spending road spending would need to be substantially higher and given that transit is the less desirable form of transportation the costs of transit should be borne by the people who reap the benefits which are car drivers.

Transportation needs to be looked at collectively in terms of funding including Bike /Rail/LRT/and roads
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 12:26 AM   #1965
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think this is a fair view of the things roads need to pay for though. They also need to cover the costs of transit and other measures that keep roads empty. Without transit spending road spending would need to be substantially higher and given that transit is the less desirable form of transportation the costs of transit should be borne by the people who reap the benefits which are car drivers.
Transit spending is pretty substantial, the City's net operating costs are higher for transit than roads and capital spending is roughly 50:50 for roads vs transit (not counting the Green Line) even though car passenger-trips are about 9X higher than transit .

The Red and Blue lines that were built pretty cheaply on high ridership corridors are a positive benefit for drivers that are headed to the core; but I doubt the the expensive Green Line with mediocre ridership will be (similar to numerous other terrible LRT projects in the US). Even the City's own estimate is that it'll only take off the equivalent of about 6000 cars off the roads. I would expect that the money for Stage 1 being used to upgrade Deerfoot would have more benefits to drivers in time savings or enabling more trips.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 07-22-2021, 01:12 AM   #1966
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
Transit spending is pretty substantial, the City's net operating costs are higher for transit than roads and capital spending is roughly 50:50 for roads vs transit (not counting the Green Line) even though car passenger-trips are about 9X higher than transit .

The Red and Blue lines that were built pretty cheaply on high ridership corridors are a positive benefit for drivers that are headed to the core; but I doubt the the expensive Green Line with mediocre ridership will be (similar to numerous other terrible LRT projects in the US). Even the City's own estimate is that it'll only take off the equivalent of about 6000 cars off the roads. I would expect that the money for Stage 1 being used to upgrade Deerfoot would have more benefits to drivers in time savings or enabling more trips.

Thats because they built stage one to the south for political reasons. The north central corridor will be the ridership hub of the green line, and probably should have been built before the west leg.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 01:24 PM   #1967
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

So since I moved to the city proper from Chestermere last year I guess I should actually start paying attention to city politics. I'm in ward 3 and did a quick browse through the candidate websites, the only ones that seemed well thought out were Jasmine Mian and Gurbir Nijjar. Any red flags for either I should know about?

Also I know next to nothing about the mayoral candidates, though I found it amusing that Farkas lead the earliest poll last month considering the title of this thread
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:50 PM   #1968
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
So since I moved to the city proper from Chestermere last year I guess I should actually start paying attention to city politics. I'm in ward 3 and did a quick browse through the candidate websites, the only ones that seemed well thought out were Jasmine Mian and Gurbir Nijjar. Any red flags for either I should know about?

Also I know next to nothing about the mayoral candidates, though I found it amusing that Farkas lead the earliest poll last month considering the title of this thread
I was hoping Nate Pike would pull up to the pack but he's really got weak ground game.

Based on ground game and visible community presence it seems like it's between Mian (my second choice) and Trentholm (a slimy weasel man).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:52 PM   #1969
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I was hoping Nate Pike would pull up to the pack but he's really got weak ground game.

Based on ground game and visible community presence it seems like it's between Mian (my second choice) and Trentholm (a slimy weasel man).
The guy and his platform look like the UCP personified, I really hope he doesn't win

Also I know nothing about Nate Pike, but he really needs to shave that ridiculous goatee off. He looks like he's stuck in 2004
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2021, 02:03 PM   #1970
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

I wonder if there's any point in even having a ground game right now? It's the middle of summer and the election is still nearly 3 months away. Plus, there's a rumoured late-September federal election coming that could kill any momentum any of the city candidates might have built up before then.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #1971
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I wonder if there's any point in even having a ground game right now? It's the middle of summer and the election is still nearly 3 months away. Plus, there's a rumoured late-September federal election coming that could kill any momentum any of the city candidates might have built up before then.
That's a fair point, but no sane person goes further than voting for the councilor that either a) shows up at their house and gladhands them (the Farkas/Chu method), b) has the most signs (the Big Red method), or c) is the incumbent and they enjoy the status quo.

FWIW I've done some legwork and have a sign up for Nate, but he hasn't made the knocking rounds like the other two have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:16 AM   #1972
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420415499863838731

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420415777157623810
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:21 AM   #1973
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Davison's Campaign Manager sends an invitation to fundraise corporate donations for a PAC that's "not affiliated with the campaign" but is raising funds for Davison. Basically the same email was sent from the PAC and from the Campaign Manager.

Quote:
Perks offered for those sponsorships included the opportunity to have breakfast with Davison on the day of the event, or to ask the mayoral candidate questions during a scheduled question and answer period at the event.
Sure, not affiliated at all.

Stiiiiiiiiiiinks.

Last edited by Torture; 07-28-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #1974
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Not coordinated at all, they just happened to send out the same email and form and ask for cheque's payable to Calgary Tomorrow. Pretty generous to be fundraising for a group that has no affiliation to you...

Last edited by Torture; 07-28-2021 at 10:40 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 11:25 AM   #1975
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

This really isn't helping the "Bronconnier 2.0" vibes from Davison.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 PM   #1976
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great Twitter thread on "mayoral candidate" Kevin J Johnston appearing in an Ontario court today. It's a long but very entertaining one.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420388506745163776

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #1977
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Great Twitter thread on "mayoral candidate" Kevin J Johnston appearing in an Ontario court today. It's a long but very entertaining one.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420388506745163776
Dude has a wife!?! H*** H***
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:31 PM   #1978
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Davison's Campaign Manager sends an invitation to fundraise corporate donations for a PAC that's "not affiliated with the campaign" but is raising funds for Davison. Basically the same email was sent from the PAC and from the Campaign Manager.

Sure, not affiliated at all.

Quote:
Perks offered for those sponsorships included the opportunity to have breakfast with Davison on the day of the event, or to ask the mayoral candidate questions during a scheduled question and answer period at the event.
Stiiiiiiiiiiinks.
Can they just not go after them for fraud?

If I was selling raffles for tickets to meet the queen and there's no way I can guarantee it, that would land me in trouble.

I'm clearly missing something as this seems so simple:
"Hey, Calgary Tomorrow head honcho, we're arresting you for fraud as Davison says he has no affiliation with you so you couldn't offer the prizes you did."
"Actually here's several emails exchanged with Davison agreeing to do so."
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 12:43 PM   #1979
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Not coordinated at all, they just happened to send out the same email and form and ask for cheque's payable to Calgary Tomorrow. Pretty generous to be fundraising for a group that has no affiliation to you...

Busted.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #1980
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update. Guilty!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1421172703038484491

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat