Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #16361
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Sends a message to free agents if you’re giving one narrative to guys like Tanev and Markstrom and then throwing in the towel.

Good luck trying to sign any UFAs in the future.
If you build a good core players will sign here

Even better if we draft a great core and depth we might only need to dip into free agency occasionally and not rely on it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:15 AM   #16362
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I am 100% on board the Landeskog train. Make it happen.
It’s clear that the target in free agency is Coleman.

If they get him, the team will be better, but will it be enough?
Old 07-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #16363
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I know everyone wants a shake up but 2 HUGE things in defence of Treliving:

1) standing pat is better than getting worse. You don’t just run around making trades for the sake of making trades if your team is going to be significantly worse after the fact. You’re better off doing nothing and;

2) people are critical of him if X team trades good player to Y team and “why weren’t you in on in Treliving?” Well guess ####ing what? I’m pretty sure the other 31 GM’s don’t run all of their plans by him every time prior to pulling the trigger. It is possible, nay, likely that he isn’t omniscient and knows every single thing going on at all times. It would be ludicrous, unreasonable and blatantly unrealistic to assume he knows about all trades at all times and everything happening so some people need to cool it. In fact I bet for many many many deals he’s finding out the same way we are. Do you think before he pulls the trigger he’s calling everyone letting them know? This isn’t a farmers market where you have 24/7 live access to everybody.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:17 AM   #16364
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I still think something could be done around Monahan for Forsberg, which would satisfy the core shakeup for me. Something like Monahan, 2021 3rd, 2022 2nd for Forsberg.

Would mean we are investing big into wingers but if we transition Dube into his natural centre position this year I think we'd actually have a pretty strong lineup.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Forsberg (good defensively, great offensively)
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane (good offensively, great defensively)
Lucic - Dube - Coleman (if the coleman rumours are true I think that's a solid 3rd line. Maybe Pelletier can bump Lucic down too
Pelletier - X - Pitlick (solid line with some size speed and energy, maybe Gawdin is ready for 4th line centre minutes)
Old 07-24-2021, 11:18 AM   #16365
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post
I still think something could be done around Monahan for Forsberg, which would satisfy the core shakeup for me. Something like Monahan, 2021 3rd, 2022 2nd for Forsberg.

Would mean we are investing big into wingers but if we transition Dube into his natural centre position this year I think we'd actually have a pretty strong lineup.

Lucic - Dube - Coleman (if the coleman rumours are true I think that's a solid 3rd line. Maybe Pelletier can bump Lucic down too
Pelletier - X - Pitlick (solid line with some size speed and energy, maybe Gawdin is ready for 4th line centre minutes)

Last thing Nashville needs is another center who under-performs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #16366
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre needs lots of extra dough for Johnny and Chucky so I can’t see him doing too much but who knows…
Old 07-24-2021, 11:23 AM   #16367
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what ends up happening with Dvorak? I assume he moves today or before the end of July
Old 07-24-2021, 11:24 AM   #16368
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Last thing Nashville needs is another center who under-performs
It's honestly just this last season where Monahan was bad. The year before he was still sitting at just under .70 p/g it just wasn't as good as his 1.0 p/g year so everyone lost it.

Realistically teams might be 100% out on Monahan after this season but I think it's equally realistic that they saw he was banged up and was playing for a terrible coach for half the year, then had to adjust to a new coach half way through, and don't put a lot of emphasis on one down year.

I know we all like to believe the sky is falling and teams wouldn't even give up a 2nd for Monahan but there's a very real chance team's look past this last season based on what was happening in the organization.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:26 AM   #16369
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigErnSalute_16 View Post

Pelletier is going to need a bit of time to adjust to the pro game. Cerebral players like Pelletier almost always need a bit of time to get used to the speed of the game before jumping to the pros.

Give him at least half a year in the A and then call him up.

I mean he could surprise me but he's a local kid and I have watched him play more than any prospect ever hahah. Once he adjusts though you have yourself a solid third liner with zero holes in his game.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #16370
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t mind the Flames revisiting Hamonic in the 3rd pair RHD role. He can bring some of the character lost with Gio moving on at a cheap price and minimal role. I feel like he may play better under Sutter as well.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #16371
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I wouldn’t mind the Flames revisiting Hamonic in the 3rd pair RHD role. He can bring some of the character lost with Gio moving on at a cheap price and minimal role. I feel like he may play better under Sutter as well.
No thanks. I still say he quit in this team before the bubble games.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #16372
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

No to hamonic
Old 07-24-2021, 11:37 AM   #16373
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Hamonic bridge should be well and truly burned. If we're looking to fill that role, just re-sign Stone.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #16374
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
No thanks. I still say he quit in this team before the bubble games.
I don’t know how that slipped my mind. Ya I agree with you
Old 07-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #16375
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
We’d need to dump a lot of players to compete with Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, and Columbus.
Just have to get in the lottery and then anything can happen.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

The Following User Says Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #16376
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The Hamonic bridge should be well and truly burned. If we're looking to fill that role, just re-sign Stone.
Yeah, and that’s doable, since he’s a Calgary resident. He wants to be here.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #16377
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I know everyone wants a shake up but 2 HUGE things in defence of Treliving:

1) standing pat is better than getting worse. You don’t just run around making trades for the sake of making trades if your team is going to be significantly worse after the fact. You’re better off doing nothing and;

2) people are critical of him if X team trades good player to Y team and “why weren’t you in on in Treliving?” Well guess ####ing what? I’m pretty sure the other 31 GM’s don’t run all of their plans by him every time prior to pulling the trigger. It is possible, nay, likely that he isn’t omniscient and knows every single thing going on at all times. It would be ludicrous, unreasonable and blatantly unrealistic to assume he knows about all trades at all times and everything happening so some people need to cool it. In fact I bet for many many many deals he’s finding out the same way we are. Do you think before he pulls the trigger he’s calling everyone letting them know? This isn’t a farmers market where you have 24/7 live access to everybody.
I have a HUGE problem with your first point. I think the Flames are in the worst spot right now. The team isn't good enough to be considered a constant playoff threat and they're not bad enough to be a serious lottery threat. Picking in the early teens sucks. I would be much happier with an unknown change because they either get better and make the playoffs or get worse and are in the running for a franchise altering prospect. Right now this team is going to struggle to make the playoffs...why would you be happy with that?

This is the perfect example of change for the sake of change being good.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #16378
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

While not everything would be run by Treliving, Buchnevich's name in particular has been on the rumour for a little bit, so everyone should have known he might be available.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #16379
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
While not everything would be run by Treliving, Buchnevich's name in particular has been on the rumour for a little bit, so everyone should have known he might be available.
I suspect the RFA negotiations and arb rights, plus Russian flight risk dampened the interest a bit. This is likely Buchnevich’s big payday. There’s a reason NYR shopped him.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:59 AM   #16380
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

nm...i cant read