Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2021, 10:18 AM   #4141
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
At the end of the day I just hope the players play like they care. I want them to start on time, and be a hard team to play against. Hopefully a team that hates to lose.
We all do…but pretty tough to do when you’ve got Johnny and Monny driving the bus, which is why so many desperately want to see one of them moved. I’m in the move Monny camp.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:22 AM   #4142
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
We all do…but pretty tough to do when you’ve got Johnny and Monny driving the bus, which is why so many desperately want to see one of them moved. I’m in the move Monny camp.
Me too. I think the problem is who is going to want him for the same reasons.

I think to get rid of Monahan it’s going to be a one sided trade.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 10:23 AM   #4143
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan for Dvorak, one for one.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:24 AM   #4144
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
If Treliving lands Eichel tommorow, will that get the haters off his back or will the complaints be about paying too much?
I can’t see that trade getting pulled off. Just looking at our roster and cap space available.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #4145
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Treliving lands Eichel tommorow, will that get the haters off his back or will the complaints be about paying too much?
We might as well be discussing what happens if Tre lands Crosby. It ain't happening.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #4146
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Philly has a terrible year and they are making signifigant moves, Treliving has traded for Pitlick. I know its early still but he needs to step up, this team is worse than last year and that says something
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:59 AM   #4147
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing isnt a good look for BT.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:14 AM   #4148
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Too much term.

Haters gonna hate.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #4149
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is Brad still on the phone?
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:53 PM   #4150
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Me too. I think the problem is who is going to want him for the same reasons.

I think to get rid of Monahan it’s going to be a one sided trade.
Depending how one-sided, you still gotta pull the trigger. Mediocrity (if that) is the worst place to be, without some sort of path forward.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:56 PM   #4151
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tre has lost his phone and cant remember the Password to his iCloud account to help find it.
Old 07-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #4152
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Is Brad still on the phone?
Someone put him on hold on Thursday and he's still waiting. Listening to some amazing muzak has put him in a happy place.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #4153
gilligans_off
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

gilligans_off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:18 PM   #4154
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Philly has a terrible year and they are making signifigant moves, Treliving has traded for Pitlick. I know its early still but he needs to step up, this team is worse than last year and that says something
What is he supposed to do?

Pro sports (any league), over the long term, is the GM being smarter than the other guys at asset management. Tre is terrible at improving the Flames' balance sheet. He is reasonably good at negotiating contracts (not great).

In short: he would be a great assistant GM, but is not a good man to have in the big chair.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #4155
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post

We should be thankful BT isn’t making the kind of moves that Philly made
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #4156
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime GFG View Post
Depending how one-sided, you still gotta pull the trigger. Mediocrity (if that) is the worst place to be, without some sort of path forward.
I don't think so. You don't make a bad trade just for the sake of making a trade. People are acting like the trade deadline is this draft, it isn't. Lots of time to change some things.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #4157
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think so. You don't make a bad trade just for the sake of making a trade. People are acting like the trade deadline is this draft, it isn't. Lots of time to change some things.
Exactly, making trades for the sake of making trades gets you Hall for Larsson. If the right deal comes up it will happen, every GM knows the position the Flames are in. I'll wait until Oct 13 to see what this this is.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:36 PM   #4158
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It looks like BT isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, coupled with the recent re-signing if his management team I would be shocked to see him go before his contract is up. Having said that I don’t have much faith in his abilities to turn this team into a consistent contender but because I am a fan of the flames I have to remain hopeful that he can do some good for this franchise and turn them in the right direction.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 03:40 PM   #4159
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would much rather the Flames go into the upcoming season as is, then to make a bad trade.

I have always thought that this core (including Giordano and Brodie) needed to be supplemented, rather than broken-up. Then after the Sutter hiring, I find out that they weren't practicing with pace, and a lot of this team's issues made more sense to me.

I think a full season of Sutter plus some additions (you have to add to the defence now at least, and find better depth - Pitlick + kids + hopefully Coleman if true, or something).

I am still hoping for Eichel too, or something really interesting.

What I am no longer thinking about is Treliving being fired, and going on and on ad nauseam about it. I thought it was the right move to do, but it just isn't going to happen and I am fine with it. He isn't a Feaster or a Riseborough, and he has made some really good moves in the past as well.

Now I am hoping that this team adds the right mix this off-season. You may not like Treliving, but there is no doubt that he isn't shy to make a big move. I am interested to see what he does now, and I am hoping for a good change. I am not demanding that the core (what's left of it - I think there has been a lot of movement in the core recently) get blown-up.

I just hope that a bit more talent (and size and speed) get injected to this team, and then I hope that Sutter can bring this team together and play an effective system, pushing this team into the playoffs, and hopefully making a bit of a run. It is possible.

Do I want this team to find another GM? Yes, I do.
Do I want to blow this team up and enter a PATIENT rebuild? Yes, I do.

Neither of the above is going to happen, and I am ok with it. There is more than one way to skin a cat, and I do think that this team can actually do well if good moves can be made this upcoming off-season, and it isn't like Treliving hasn't shown himself capable of doing so. He has done it in the past, and Sutter has a way of getting the best out of a team.

I am excited for next season already, without any moves (which I expect will still happen without blowing the core). I think this team will do better. Is it what I hoped for? No, it isn't, but that doesn't mean what I wanted would have guaranteed results either. I am keeping an open mind and looking forward to seeing what happens from now until the end of the next season.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 03:48 PM   #4160
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have liked to see some movement this weekend but I’m happy they didn’t make any of the trades that did happen.

2022 1st + Wolf for Reinhart…. Don’t think I’d want to take the risk of moving next years 1st

1st + 2nd for Ristolainen….barf

The Jones trade / contract … not a chance in hell I want to make that move

Acquire either the Atkinson or Voracek contracts…no thanks

The crazy Vancouver deal…I really like Garland but don’t want any part of OEL’s contract or to give up a 1st and 2nd for that honor.

The Buchnevich deal is the one that I would have been okay with being involved in. 2nd + Blais isn’t a bad price to pay for what Buchnevich brings at all.

Bean would have been okay too but we already have Hanifin, Valimaki, Kylington, and Mackey as younger LH dmen in the org.

The real miss (and it’s tough to say if it’s a miss or not) could be not moving Monahan. The market seemed like it was good to sell off a piece this weekend. But tough to say without knowing what actual offers are.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: