Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who are D 6 and 7? (order irrelevant)
Kulak Bartkowski 70 28.00%
Wotherspoon Bartkowski 17 6.80%
Kulak Wotherspoon 50 20.00%
Andersson Bartkowski 37 14.80%
Andersson Wotherspoon 24 9.60%
Andersson Kulak 45 18.00%
Other 7 2.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2017, 09:35 PM   #101
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Is there any way to get Engelland back?
Engelland is hardly NHL-calibre at this point and he plays the wrong side. He was a terrific warrior for this team in his time, and I feel like the in your post indicates that you're makin' a joke, so that's all I'll say about that.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #102
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I'm not judging Bartkowski too harshly.
Okay granted, Bartkowski really is terrible. The guy can create a turnover from nothing and always the wrong way. He's also been way worse this preseason than last season.

I kind of get what the coaching staff sees in him because there's definitely some good things to his game. But he'd need to be Erik Karlsson in offense to justify that amount of mistakes.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:37 PM   #103
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I get the feeling that Vegas likes McNabb, but Merrill or Schmidt for Lazar and Wotherspoon would make me happy. While Lazar still has value to a building team.
Caps fans REALLY liked Schmidt. They were upset about losing him
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:59 PM   #104
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Caps fans REALLY liked Schmidt. They were upset about losing him
Wonder what it would cost to get him. Would rather trade a B-level prospect than give up another draft pick.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #105
Bawbag
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why not throw valimaki and Anderson in there. They have plenty of experience to guide them
Bawbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:33 PM   #106
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valamaki needs to be sent down to the WHL. I don't mind Andersson playing with stone. I think playing 12 minutes in the NHL should still help him develop. He will have sheltered minutes and his ceiling is far higher than Kulak and Wotherspoon. It is kind of a red flag that Kulak and Wotherspoon keep getting chances for that 6th spot and keep face planting.

They need to get over the righty lefty thing and bring in the best dman. I would keep Andersson and probably Bart as the 7th. You can always call up someone else if you need a dman to play.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:43 PM   #107
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The post game comments were about the d needing to move the puck faster. CGY wants to transition fast and the question is who is best suited for that and has other NHL tools.

I think comments about nerves is valid. A lot riding on that game.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:16 AM   #108
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bart is the 7th

Wotherspoon.. just not what I was wanting to see especially with that 6th spot open and up for grabs. This guy has seemingly pouted at times about his calls up and his send downs. He needed to fight for the spot last night and instead he fought the puck, made poor decisions, managed the puck poorly and was working at a bakery for much of the game (which is good if you like turnovers)

Kulak.. Same as above though he was the better player between the two. I think his ceiling is not that high, what your seeing is what your going to get from Kulak. I was impressed with how he could jump up in the play but lots of plays died on his stick around the blue line and he was fighting the puck on his PP chances.

Andersson is a legit prospect. I think the only reason he doesn't step in is because he's a righty, out of all the D last night vying for the 6th spot he was the best.

Valimaki is gonna be a NHLer but he needs more seasoning. He made a ton of impressive plays, doesn't panic with pressure on the line; makes smart passes and plays and knows when to jump up. Very impressed with this pick.

I'm hoping Kylington gets a shot next game because I think he could steal the spot, he plays fast and up tempo, can move the puck well and I think what he needs to grow in his game would be good to grow now in the NHL eating 12 to 14 mins a night with a good pro in Stone.

Flames D:
Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kylington - Stone
Bartkowski

Heat D:
Kulak - Andersson
Healey - Doetzel
Wotherspoon - Mattsson
Robak - Yevenko
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:18 AM   #109
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Engelland is hardly NHL-calibre at this point and he plays the wrong side. He was a terrific warrior for this team in his time, and I feel like the in your post indicates that you're makin' a joke, so that's all I'll say about that.
What?
Old 09-26-2017, 07:20 AM   #110
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

I'm hoping Kylington gets a shot next game because I think he could steal the spot, he plays fast and up tempo, can move the puck well and I think what he needs to grow in his game would be good to grow now in the NHL eating 12 to 14 mins a night with a good pro in Stone.
He was cut last Saturday...

My guess he needs another full year in AHL
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 AM   #111
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Call Kylington back up and apologize
Kylington was worse defensively than Bart, Kulak and Wotherspoon.

He can skate like the wind and makes fancy plays but that's not enough.

He typically was either coughing up the puck courtesy of said fancy plays, or getting out-muscled.

He needs at least another year in the A to work on his strength, positioning, and risk/reward assessments.

Andersson is the obvious choice as long as GG isn't hung up on lefty/righty pairings.

Last edited by bzoo02; 09-26-2017 at 08:23 AM.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bzoo02 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #112
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
He was cut last Saturday...

My guess he needs another full year in AHL
Then I'm definitely going with Andersson as 6th (right side) Stone as 5th (left side) and Bart as the 7th.

I know Gully likes his LH/RH pairings but Andersson has shown the most IMO.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #113
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

after last nights exhibition game I wouldn't be surprised to see the Flames looking over the waiver wires to pick up a journeyman from another team.

The good news the top 4 will all be playing 20+ minutes and Stone can step up with another 15-20 leaving Bartkowski with under 10.

The bad news is that the prospects (Valamaki, Anderssen and Kylington) are still exactly that.

Wotherspoon is establishing himself as a career AHLer.

Bartkowski is $400k in the AHL, Wotherspoon is $160k and Kulak is $120K. The ELC guys are all 70K.

The Flames keep Kulak as #7 as he will not benefit from another AHL year.

I didn't understand why the Flames had to sign Stone but they have a pretty bare cupboard and without Stone would be an injury away from a real mess on defense.

Makes the pick of Valamaki even better and more important than originally thought.

Brandon Hickey, if he was at the same level as Tucker Poolman, and he likely was/is might have made the Flames this year as #6.

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-26-2017 at 10:10 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #114
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want it to be Andersson and Kulak, but I have feeling it will be Bartkowski and Wotherspoon/Kulak.

Bart isn't better than Andersson and Andersson has a higher upside. Rotate the 6th D on a regular basis based on who is playing the best. I hope by Xmas time we have a regular top 6 that includes Andersson as the legitimate 6th D.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:31 AM   #115
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really thought Kulak would show up to camp, play his way into the #6 slot, and never look back. He has been really disappointing this pre-season. Unfortunately, no one else has taken advantage of the opportunity either. I've liked Andersson the best of the bunch, but his lack of foot speed and his right-hand shot are working against him. Given that, I think Kulak and Bartkowski take turns as #6/#7. Dont' get me wrong, Bartkowski has no business playing in the NHL, but familiarity and alleged veteran intangibles will win out.

I would love either Nate Schmidt or Brayden McNabb from Vegas, but from what I can tell they are both playing top four minutes in pre-season so I don't think they will be available and neither will be on waivers. None of the other left shots on Vegas are too appealing. So, have the Flames #6/#7 candidates been bad enough you are willing to spend assets to upgrade? Tough call.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2017, 10:58 AM   #116
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzoo02 View Post
Kylington was worse defensively than Bart, Kulak and Wotherspoon.

He can skate like the wind and makes fancy plays but that's not enough.

He typically was either coughing up the puck courtesy of said fancy plays, or getting out-muscled.

He needs at least another year in the A to work on his strength, positioning, and risk/reward assessments.

Andersson is the obvious choice as long as GG isn't hung up on lefty/righty pairings.
Only one guy got burned by Jake Virtanen and it wasn't Kylington. Kulak and Bartkowski looked far worse in their games than Kylington did defensively
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #117
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Only one guy got burned by Jake Virtanen and it wasn't Kylington. Kulak and Bartkowski looked far worse in their games than Kylington did defensively
Kylington needs to add strength and continue to develop playing big minutes in all situations. The best thing for him is another year in the minors.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #118
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
That great, but you should really re-watch that game and see how many bone head plays he made and how easily he was pushed off the puck.

I like Kylington and hope he can develop to be more responsible and make smarter plays. I think 1st pairing minutes in AHL will teach him just that.

Kulak and Bart also belong in the A based on their play so far.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:11 AM   #119
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

at this point, I think Kulak-Stone will be the 3rd pairing and Bartkowski is in the press box. Andersson goes down to Stockton one more time and is the first call-up.

and I'd be fine if it played out that way. Bartkowski is the worst option of those three IMO, but I'd rather have him on popcorn duty and Andersson playing 20+ minutes in the AHL than having either him or Kulak in the press box.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 AM   #120
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Looks like Team Andersson/Kulak is in the lead, now that Wotherspoon is on waivers!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote