Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #3181
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
What is the basis of this seemingly common opinion?

Feaster had a ridiculously bad blunder with RoR for which he deserved to be fired, but aside from that didn't do a bad job whatsoever.
Feaster botched the Bouwmeester trade pretty horribly. And the Iginla trade with the the trade to BOS errrr PIT was an embarrassing debacle. The Regehr trade was pathetically bad. Feaster was also responsible for the price/length of the Wideman deal who was a bad contract for the last couple years. There isn't much he got right frankly.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 09-24-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #3182
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I for one am happy how it all turned out. Feaster's blunders likely led to Burke hire and the timing of Feaster's firing put us in perfect alignment to grab the best possible GM candidate we could get. BT was next in line by many teams for a GM spot. So fortunate we could get him.

BT has demonstrated exactly how to manage the cap (Brouwer signing aside) and build assets. This will become crucial to maintaining contender status as the team succeeds and demands for higher salaries escalate amongst our core.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #3183
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm so glad that I bumped this thread. I was really missing the Feaster debates
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PugnaciousIntern For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 05:44 PM   #3184
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Feaster was just way over his head as a GM. There is a reason no one has hired him since. He helped this organization no doubt but we're very fortunate to have Treliving as GM.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #3185
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I liked Feaster as a dude but yeah, the gulf between him and Tre is quite evident in certain areas, especially trades. It would be interesting to listen to a wire tap on Feaster negotiating with another GM vs. Treliving doing the same.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #3186
Phil1111
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I liked Feaster as a dude but yeah, the gulf between him and Tre is quite evident in certain areas, especially trades. It would be interesting to listen to a wire tap on Feaster negotiating with another GM vs. Treliving doing the same.
I'd put performance ahead of like. But its all ice under the bridge now.
Phil1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:13 PM   #3187
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

The Flames are in a pretty good spot now.

After years of developing, Jankowski can step in and everything else is gravy. The team has Monahan, Bennett, and Backlund down the middle already, and we're adding a 6'5, 210 lb centre with clear finishing abilities but has also honed his shutdown/2-way defensive game while in college?

Money.

Last edited by AC; 09-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #3188
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hopefully someone can clear something up for me and a buddy.

I seem to remember Jankowski playing on the wing in his freshman year at Providence. My buddy doesn't believe me, and won't take my word for it and wants proof. I've tried searching the threads with little luck.

Does anyone know if he did play wing at all in his college career or am i out to lunch?
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #3189
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalMagic View Post
Hopefully someone can clear something up for me and a buddy.

I seem to remember Jankowski playing on the wing in his freshman year at Providence. My buddy doesn't believe me, and won't take my word for it and wants proof. I've tried searching the threads with little luck.

Does anyone know if he did play wing at all in his college career or am i out to lunch?
You are right - Jankowski definitely played wing in his first year of college. The next three years were all at center.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #3190
HerbalMagic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
You are right - Jankowski definitely played wing in his first year of college. The next three years were all at center.
I knew it haha now just to find something official that says it. Thanks!!
HerbalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #3191
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbalMagic View Post
I knew it haha now just to find something official that says it. Thanks!!
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mark_jankowski/

Quote:
2012-13: Jankowski skated in 34 games for Providence College as a freshman as the Friars finished with a winning record for the first time since 2005-06. Frequently teamed with senior center Tim Schaller on the Friars’ second line, he scored 7 goals with 11 assists and was +5 with 10 penalty minutes. Providence finished in a three-way tie for third in Hockey East and lost to regular season champion Massachusetts-Lowell, 2-1, in the Hockey East semifinals. Jankowski was invited to Hockey Canada’s U20 camp for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #3192
loosecannon3
Draft Pick

OK looking back on this draft pick, as of right now, who can admit they now like the pick after not liking it when it first happened? Who still thinks it was a bad pick?
loosecannon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:45 AM   #3193
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosecannon3 View Post
OK looking back on this draft pick, as of right now, who can admit they now like the pick after not liking it when it first happened? Who still thinks it was a bad pick?
I have always like the pick. Apparently enough to consider Jankowski at 14th before the swap with Buffalo, although my assessment of Collberg was way off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
Came down to Collberg or Jankowski for me. They are the two most highly talented of the group.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...46#post3723646
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #3194
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Vulcan one of the most vocal anti-Janko posters? Curious as to his thoughts now.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #3195
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Wasn't Vulcan one of the most vocal anti-Janko posters? Curious as to his thoughts now.
**After watching his play so far**

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ClubFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 10:32 AM   #3196
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Nm.....
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:47 PM   #3197
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Initially I didn't mind the pick until I started figuring out that if everything goes well we won't see him for 5 or 6 years. I have to give him full credit for sticking to it, to get where he is though.

I've never been anti-Janko, I just think there were better options at the time such as my choice in Maatta but that's more to do with the GM and Weisbrod than Jankowski.

and by the way, I was thinking about my torched Vulcan motorcycle when I registered although Spock is great.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #3198
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Initially I didn't mind the pick until I started figuring out that if everything goes well we won't see him for 5 or 6 years. I have to give him full credit for sticking to it, to get where he is though.
I have thought of this as well ... the wait.

Does the wait have an impact on the value of a pick.

In one way yes because he will be a UFA at 27 or 7 years of service whichever comes first, so a prospect that makes it later technically has less value due to less team control.

However this isn't a top 5 or 10 pick it's a bottom third of the first round pick in a weak draft.

Given that then I'd rather wait longer for a guy that could be upper roster than have a shorter wait period for a bottom roster player. Maata is a 5/6 from most measures so he's essentially Michael Stone on the Flames.

If Jankowski exceeds that bottom half of the roster hurdle it was a solid pick even though they suggested he was a project. Will be interesting to see.

The other thing in this was adding the 2nd too, which looked like a great pick in Sieloff until he ran into injury issues.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #3199
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I have thought of this as well ... the wait.

Does the wait have an impact on the value of a pick.

In one way yes because he will be a UFA at 27 or 7 years of service whichever comes first, so a prospect that makes it later technically has less value due to less team control.

However this isn't a top 5 or 10 pick it's a bottom third of the first round pick in a weak draft.

Given that then I'd rather wait longer for a guy that could be upper roster than have a shorter wait period for a bottom roster player. Maata is a 5/6 from most measures so he's essentially Michael Stone on the Flames.

If Jankowski exceeds that bottom half of the roster hurdle it was a solid pick even though they suggested he was a project. Will be interesting to see.

The other thing in this was adding the 2nd too, which looked like a great pick in Sieloff until he ran into injury issues.
I can't for the life of me remember what we traded Sieloff for
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #3200
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Chiasson trade?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post: