Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #5701
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
My husband and I headed up the 10th St. LRT bridge this morning to avoid the construction, to find that they've decided to paint the handrails of that bridge right now, leaving one lane only for a chunk of the bridge. Why did they decide to do this now, when there will be more traffic on it? Hopefully it's done quickly, when we passed by, there were cones and paint supplies out, but nobody around.
They have been painting the handrails over Memorial for a good month, so I wouldn't count on it being quick...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:52 PM   #5702
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really? Wow, that's bad.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #5703
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They have been painting the handrails over Memorial for a good month, so I wouldn't count on it being quick...
If only anyone in the area had some extra paint...
Old 09-07-2017, 07:13 AM   #5704
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Due to pathway closures, they have put "construction" signs in the bike portion of the Peace bridge. These are large and dangerous, and absolutely unnecessary on an extremely busy crossing. I understand the need to warn cyclists of construction ahead, but one sign at the end of the bridge would suffice. Dunderheads.
Well, 311 fixed this one!

I'm riding through Crescent Heights and this woman in front of me is weaving all over the place. I pass her, and she's got her keys in her mouth, her phone in her hand, and her helmet dangling from the handlebars. I have no idea how people like that make it this far in life. We have made our world to soft.

I also had some meathead in a pickup play chicken with me. The 4 way on the 7th st cycle track, I see him coming from the right, and I come to a complete stop. Since he hasn't hit the stop line yet, I go. Except that he wasn't interested in stopping, so rolls through towards me. I point my light at his face, and he keeps coming. So I hit the thunderhorn, and he finally decides to stop, then "waves" me through, just in front of him. Ya, thanks for the courtesy you #### wit.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-07-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #5705
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 degrees in September, is much different that 10 degrees in july.....I was going to just wear a shirt this morning and I am glad I did not.....my bowles also woke up about 10 minutes into my ride, the remaining 35 minutes were long and sometimes uncomfortable. I am glad I do not have a long climb on the way in
Old 09-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #5706
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

hit 4000km yesterday, can't remember the last time I rode this much!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 08:34 AM   #5707
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
hit 4000km yesterday, can't remember the last time I rode this much!
I got to step it up, just got to 3190km this morning. I need to try and find time to throw some bigger rides in, not just my commuting.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:49 AM   #5708
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done surprisingly few big rides. Only 3 that were more than 80km. I don't miss many commutes, though. Last one was more than 6 months ago.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:06 AM   #5709
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

wow, you boys have some nice milaeage - strava tells me that I have ridden 2,300 km this year so far. I am a little disappointed in that number as given the year we have had I have spent a lot of time on my various bikes; however, that being said, I guess my limiting factor is that my longest weekend rides on my commuter are about 40k or so, but most of my weekend riding is on my mtn bike where 25k is about my longest ride.

I feel like in the early part of the year I was not diligent about getting my ride data in strava, so I am thinking I missed some km's.

my best year ever (back when I was single) was about 8,000km between late march to october. those were the days when I would commute to/from work on a regular basis, and then go out in the evening for a 40 to 50k spin (I lived in Winnipeg then, so the miles were not as taxing as they are here in Calgary), and then go for 100k rides on the weekends
Old 09-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #5710
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kurt from Bow cycle is over 12,000 this year!!!!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #5711
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

When I set my Strava goal at the beginning of the year it was 5000. It would have been 1500 more than last year. As I got closer I bumped it to 6k and then 8k. Earlier in the week I changed it to 10k.

I've been bitten by the cycling bug pretty hard since picking up a new bike last year. It's become a bit of an addiction.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #5712
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think being able to compare your commutes and rides on Strava and this discussion thread really encourages all of us to keep riding as much as possible. I don't think I would have ridden as much this year without that help from you guys. I'm at 3,200km. Last year I commuted maybe 100km.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #5713
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sometimes I wish I had a commute, just to be able to ride my bike more.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:40 AM   #5714
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can agree with k-train in that cycling has become an addiction for me as well. I love keeping up to date on this thread and the high points of my weekends are riding and watching my son play hockey and other family activities.

I have noticed this week as my office has transisitioned back to a more normal dress code, that none of my pants fit properly on my waist any more and my recent pant purchases has been a size or two smaller than where they have been for the past couple of years.

it is going to be tough to have to drive to work on a regular basis again as I find that commuting makes for an easy 90 minutes of exercise per day, plus it is outside
Old 09-07-2017, 10:41 AM   #5715
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ no one said you had to transition back to driving...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #5716
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
When I set my Strava goal at the beginning of the year it was 5000. It would have been 1500 more than last year. As I got closer I bumped it to 6k and then 8k. Earlier in the week I changed it to 10k.

I've been bitten by the cycling bug pretty hard since picking up a new bike last year. It's become a bit of an addiction.
Getting a new bike that fits well is a great way to get you going, too.

Since our 100km ride a few weeks ago, I made some tweaks and the pain is gone, making me want to ride more as well!

My goal for the year is 5200, or 100km per week average. I should smash that. May be tough to do longer non commute rides as it's now hockey/ringette season so I'll be living at the rink.
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #5717
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tons of PRs with the tailwind home today. So close to breaking 30 minutes to get home!! Missed it by 53 seconds.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:10 AM   #5718
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ no one said you had to transition back to driving...
if my son makes the quadrant hockey team he is trying out for i'll be having too many days where I am tight for time. also, he is in the hockey program at school, so I will have to drive him a couple of days per week

lucky for you boys who had a tailwind yesterday, I rode into it on the way home. Not sure if it was the smoke or what yesterday, but I felt very lightheaded when I got home. Had a little 20 minute nap after work yesterday......
Old 09-08-2017, 07:13 AM   #5719
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damned hockey! Getting in the way of biking!
Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #5720
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great ride in this AM - beautiful weather and some deer around the pathways. But on Fairmount a guy in a big black truck slowed down beside me, called me an ####### and to get off the road then threw a smoke out the passenger window at me. LOL WTF is wrong with people?
Closed Thread