Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2021, 02:08 PM   #101
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lowry isn't an idiot, he knows going to the Lakers means he automatically gets blamed for everything with LeBron and AD off limits since Klutch is running the Lakers. Why go be a human punching bag when you can go to Miami, take home more money and be treated with more respect? No brainer really.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:09 PM   #102
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Lowry isn't an idiot, he knows going to the Lakers means he automatically gets blamed for everything with LeBron and AD off limits since Klutch is running the Lakers. Why go be a human punching bag when you can go to Miami, take home more money and be treated with more respect? No brainer really.

I don't think that's the case personally. They found a way to get a bigger scorer in Westbrook, and suddenly there's no room for Lowry. Plus signing Lowry in a S&T wasn't going to work once that happened. I'm sure LA was exploring how they could do it but a sexier option came along.

Anyway, on a side note, I think I had to do a double take when I just read Curry got a $215 million contract over 4 years. Crazy. Here I was thinking $36M is the highest contract in and he gets $53. Unbelievable.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 03:02 PM   #103
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see how Westbrook makes the lakers easier, other than allowing Bron and Davis to take possessions or games off in the regular season and still be competitive.

Westbrook doesn't make them better in a seven game series.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #104
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I don't see how Westbrook makes the lakers easier, other than allowing Bron and Davis to take possessions or games off in the regular season and still be competitive.

Westbrook doesn't make them better in a seven game series.
I値l preface what I知 about to say by saying I知 not even confident in it, but logically basketball is more an individual sport compared to most. What the Raptors did by winning through the bench and starting lineup was an exception not a norm. With that in mind, having a third huge option to score is not a bad thing. I知 some ways oversimplified, all three can make their own shot, so while we can think it値l lead to selfishness, management is probably thinking this is another lethal option. Much like the Leafs were trying the all offence approach, we値l see if this works. I tend to think with that much talent whatever problems they値l overcome it somehow. It痴 a really nice problem to have.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:51 PM   #105
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you like five-way trades?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1423046618757189636
Old 08-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #106
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already this off-season is a winner in my books. Baynes waived. I don't believe I've ever been so frustrated by a Raptor player.

Along with the other waiver moves, it really looks like the bench will be completely new. Can't complain whatsoever as they were replaceable. Just waiting for the Masai/Webster magic which will happen somehow, I'm confident.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:08 PM   #107
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Somehow they need to find a centre. It would be a pretty huge fail to go two seasons in a row without somebody that can contribute at all.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #108
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1422990741924728834

It's sounding like Birch will be back, which I'm fine with. I like how he played.

I'm a little surprised they waived Bembry and Watson, but not huge losses.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:56 PM   #109
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

No mention of the Raps signing Sam Dekker?

Seems like a weird move.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:40 AM   #110
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
No mention of the Raps signing Sam Dekker?

Seems like a weird move.

I read the Sportsnet article on him a couple days ago because I didn't know the story. Even as a minority here, I don't see the problem with anything he said. I don't see him as a closet racist or anything. Paraphrased, he said something along the lines of not being embarrassed about being white. The Trump thing was from a few years back, meh. If Masai and Crew are fine, I'm sure he passed the smell test. He seems like a worthy gamble.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:46 PM   #111
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

And some pleasant news, Raps keep Masai. Hope it痴 a long term contract because I can稚 see anyone in the world being better at the job than him.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #112
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Masai has been promoted to Vice-Chairman and President of the Raptors on a long-term deal. Great news, as it means (a) organizational stability, which is huge, and (b) Masai having greater control over top-level decision-making, which I think is where he sees the Raptors need to improve to have a greater impact.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 01:27 PM   #113
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1423349153086672896

Glad to hear that Masai is staying. Biggest signing of free agency so far.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 01:30 PM   #114
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for Masai to eventually ascend to owner after his next round of negotiations.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #115
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I値l preface what I知 about to say by saying I知 not even confident in it, but logically basketball is more an individual sport compared to most. What the Raptors did by winning through the bench and starting lineup was an exception not a norm. With that in mind, having a third huge option to score is not a bad thing. I知 some ways oversimplified, all three can make their own shot, so while we can think it値l lead to selfishness, management is probably thinking this is another lethal option. Much like the Leafs were trying the all offence approach, we値l see if this works. I tend to think with that much talent whatever problems they値l overcome it somehow. It痴 a really nice problem to have.
In theory I agree, I just don't think Westbrook has ever been deferential in his career. He is now the third option. How long do you thing LeBron is going to tolerate him taking terrible shots early in the clock?
Old 08-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #116
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
In theory I agree, I just don't think Westbrook has ever been deferential in his career. He is now the third option. How long do you thing LeBron is going to tolerate him taking terrible shots early in the clock?
No clue. I think Lebron generally has a longer fuse for stars. Westbrook can be an outspoken guy himself so I can稚 imagine Lebron having control of him at all. It should be an interesting dynamic all in all, but I don稚 think it値l blow up because Lebron is a wuss when it comes to outspoken guys IMO.
Old 08-05-2021, 01:43 PM   #117
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a good point. I don't really care for Westbrook so I'm definitely biased. I don't think his style of basketball is conducive to winning.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:05 PM   #118
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the moment here's what I have for the Raptors depth chart if the Lowry return stays at just Achiuwa and Dragic:

FVV/Flynn/Banton*
GTJ/Dragic/Johnson*
Anunoby/Barnes/Champagnie*/Dekker*
Siakam/Boucher/Watanabe*/Wainwright*
Birch/Achiuwa/Gillespie*/Mahmoud*

*Guys that are currently not fully guaranateed and could end up on two-way contracts or not get signed. Of these I think Watanabe is the closest thing to a lock, Champagnie has potentially already signed a two-way (haven't confirmed if it's fully guaranteed or not). Banton and Johnson probably have an inside track on other roster spots. Dekker's not on the summer league roster so I think he's a training camp tryout.

Raptors still have the BAE ($3m) and potentially a chunk of the MLE to spend depending on Birch's salary.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:12 PM   #119
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
At the moment here's what I have for the Raptors depth chart if the Lowry return stays at just Achiuwa and Dragic:

FVV/Flynn/Banton*
GTJ/Dragic/Johnson*
Anunoby/Barnes/Champagnie*/Dekker*
Siakam/Boucher/Watanabe*/Wainwright*
Birch/Achiuwa/Gillespie*/Mahmoud*

*Guys that are currently not fully guaranateed and could end up on two-way contracts or not get signed. Of these I think Watanabe is the closest thing to a lock, Champagnie has potentially already signed a two-way (haven't confirmed if it's fully guaranteed or not). Banton and Johnson probably have an inside track on other roster spots. Dekker's not on the summer league roster so I think he's a training camp tryout.

Raptors still have the BAE ($3m) and potentially a chunk of the MLE to spend depending on Birch's salary.

Pretty thin roster IMO. Just a year ago we had budding superstar Siakam and were pencilling in Giannis... oh well.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:15 PM   #120
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I'd call that roster thin as much as lacking in superstars. Depth wise that's a nice team, it just lacks a high end player(s).

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 08-05-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote