Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2022, 11:23 AM   #2521
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the topic of planes.

I was in the US recently and noticed they board planes differently. In Canada we do emergency row, those needed help, and 1st class, then start at the back of the bus and move forward. It is pretty smooth for the most part.

In the US, it was emergency row, those that need help, first class, those that were a certain tier in the rewards program, military personnel, etc. It created havoc because you had people all over the plane getting on middle, front, back, all trying to get past each other. just a mess.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #2522
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said it before: subject to exceptions for physically disabled people, your carry on should be literally carried on. No wheels. If you can't lug it through the airport, you can't bring it on the plane.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:38 AM   #2523
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don’t care how people get their stuff onto the plane, but if you’re standing up and in the aisle, you should be getting your stuff out of the bins before the doors open. Otherwise, stay seated and let people who are ready disembark. Nothing more annoying than everybody getting out of their seats and just standing there until they can walk up a few rows and then stand there again while they get their things.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:42 AM   #2524
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
On the topic of planes.

I was in the US recently and noticed they board planes differently. In Canada we do emergency row, those needed help, and 1st class, then start at the back of the bus and move forward. It is pretty smooth for the most part.

In the US, it was emergency row, those that need help, first class, those that were a certain tier in the rewards program, military personnel, etc. It created havoc because you had people all over the plane getting on middle, front, back, all trying to get past each other. just a mess.
Westjet boards by tier status too.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #2525
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I've said it before: subject to exceptions for physically disabled people, your carry on should be literally carried on. No wheels. If you can't lug it through the airport, you can't bring it on the plane.
Challenge accepted.

https://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/ca/...port-backpack/
Old 09-16-2022, 11:50 AM   #2526
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Someone making a loose plan to swing by your office in "the morning" . So you spend all day stapled to your desk waiting for them to show up.
Lawyers.

I'm sorry you havent done your taxes in forever, and I know you're busy at work, but you know...I dont need to have the actual physical tax documents couriered to my office.

You can scan and email them, secure dropbox, we've just weathered a Pandemic, there are a myriad of ways to get the required information to me.

So now I'm spending Friday waiting on a Courier.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #2527
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I mean it still has to meet the normal size restrictions, just you have to carry it... but honestly I kind of want to see someone carry that thing on so I'll allow it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:01 PM   #2528
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I haven’t checked a bag in over a decade. I have no idea why people check bags. I take vacations several weeks long and still have no need to check luggage.
I never risk losing my bag and always immediately walk directly out of the airport after my flight, every single time. Do people really need 10 outfits for a week away from home?

Assuming you go on tropical vacations, how ripe are you coming home? For your fellow passengers sake, I hope your giving your outfit a courtesy rinse in the sink for travel day.

No way I’m fitting swim suits, gym / active gear, casual and evening clothes / footwear for a two week vacation in a “carry on”.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #2529
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the topic of planes.

Does the inefficiency matter?

If the ability for a plane to leave is driven by passenger loading then loading efficiently is important. If it’s driven by fueling and a baggage then efficient loading doesn’t matter and loading by status doesn’t have negative affects.

It also allocates carryon space in a manner that rewards loyalty and paying more.

If efficiency is key you would board windows back to front, middle back to front, aisle back to front and you would have people line up on a spot based on their seat. Compare how they load amusement parks where throughput matters to airlines.

Also the problem isn’t rolling suitcase people. They maximize bin capacity. It’s the backpacks that exceed a dimension that are allowed on anyway that destroy bin space. It should be strictly enforced as per The stated dimensions
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:13 PM   #2530
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

In large airports the bottleneck is almost always runway space.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #2531
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Also the problem isn’t rolling suitcase people. They maximize bin capacity. It’s the backpacks that exceed a dimension that are allowed on anyway that destroy bin space. It should be strictly enforced as per The stated dimensions
Backpacks at least tend to be somewhat malleable, unlike hardsided carryons. And it seems like bins can accomodate a slightly bulbous shape without problem...

Quote:
In large airports the bottleneck is almost always runway space.
You still gotta get into that queue sooner or later
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:29 PM   #2532
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think airport runways use a naïve FIFO stack.
Old 09-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #2533
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the topic of planes.

I’ve never seen back to front. Always tier based on status and price paid.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #2534
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Telus charging 1.5% fee for credit card pre-auth payment starting Oct 22.

What the flying ####, money grabbing pieces of ####.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:42 PM   #2535
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Telus charging 1.5% fee for credit card pre-auth payment starting Oct 22.

What the flying ####, money grabbing pieces of ####.
Yep, I just took mine off, will pay from chequing account now.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:45 PM   #2536
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think airport runways use a naïve FIFO stack.
Really? How do you think it works?

Paging Bigtime, to the white courtesy phone please.

I can imagine really big planes might get to jump the queue, but otherwise I'd think it's pretty much FIFO? Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to push back to join a physical queue, but shirley there is a trigger point like doors closed where you effectively join the queue...
Old 09-16-2022, 12:47 PM   #2537
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I’ve never seen back to front. Always tier based on status and price paid.
Some budget airlines do a numbering system where you physically line up by the gate with a number card...I think I've done it on Southwest
Old 09-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #2538
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Really? How do you think it works?

Paging Bigtime, to the white courtesy phone please.

I can imagine really big planes might get to jump the queue, but otherwise I'd think it's pretty much FIFO? Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to push back to join a physical queue, but shirley there is a trigger point like doors closed where you effectively join the queue...
Man you'd make an awful programmer.

Anyhow, there's papers about it. It's a well researched problem.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:14 PM   #2539
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Some budget airlines do a numbering system where you physically line up by the gate with a number card...I think I've done it on Southwest
Frontier too. But he said in Canada.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #2540
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I haven’t checked a bag in over a decade. I have no idea why people check bags. I take vacations several weeks long and still have no need to check luggage.
So essentially you wear the same 3 shirts, 2 pairs of pants and 1 pair of shoes on a several weeks long trip bud? Insert Ernest P Warrell ewwww gif here

I'm also such an over-packer so I can't even get my head around that. I hate how I'm like that but I can't help it. Plus I'm usually going places where the weather flirts between different seasons. Could be +30 or +10. I have no idea how to pack light for those situations.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post: