Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #181
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I spent the weekend completely reorganizing my gameroom for couch pc gaming. Going wireless will work well for you but I use a Razer Nostromo so no wireless for me. I took the keyboard tray from my desk and glued a no slip shelf material to the bottom so it sits on my lap without sliding and also used Velcro for the Nostromo and Keyboard. The PS4 wireless headphones are really good.

Also checkout the Couchmaster
Spoiler!
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:56 AM   #182
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still not sold on KB+M for couch gaming. I often move over to the couch with a 360 wireless controller for racing/3rd person gaming, but I still have 0 reason to play an FPS/RTS/TBS on my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #183
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.82 @ Newegg Canada)
I'm somewhat out of touch with parts these days, and I'll admit, I don't know much about A-Data, so someone can correct me if I am wrong on this.

But for my primary SSD, I'd go with a Samsung EVO or an Intel instead. Both are pretty highly rated, and should only be slightly more, if that.

The 250GB 850 EVO came on sale for around $90 last year on both Black Friday and Boxing Day...

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3...story_days=730

Again, I might just be misjudging A-Data, but after a bad experience with a previous gen OCZ Vertex, I'm very cautious about SSD's, lol. I've come to trust only Intel or Samsung for them.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #184
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
I'm somewhat out of touch with parts these days, and I'll admit, I don't know much about A-Data, so someone can correct me if I am wrong on this.

But for my primary SSD, I'd go with a Samsung EVO or an Intel instead. Both are pretty highly rated, and should only be slightly more, if that.

The 250GB 850 EVO came on sale for around $90 last year on both Black Friday and Boxing Day...

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/3...story_days=730

Again, I might just be misjudging A-Data, but after a bad experience with a previous gen OCZ Vertex, I'm very cautious about SSD's, lol. I've come to trust only Intel or Samsung for them.
ADATA is an acceptable brand. I have that exact model, and while it's at 2013 speeds (400/500) it's stable.

Really, you want an m.2 stick for your OS drive, but they aren't cheap

Quote:
Old 11-14-2016, 12:04 PM   #185
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
ADATA is an acceptable brand. I have that exact model, and while it's at 2013 speeds (400/500) it's stable.

Really, you want an m.2 stick for your OS drive, but they aren't cheap
Right, just my paranoia then. Carry on. 🤣
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #186
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When buying an SSD you may want to keep an eye out for the estimated number of write hours. Some SSD drives don't have as much as others. I think the Samsung Pros have a higher write threshold than the regular ones. This may not matter as you may never reach those values but it might be something to keep in mind.

My new motherboard has the option for an m.2 stick but I went with a Samsung 850 500GB and Windows loads extremely fast. I usually don't turn the computer off but when I need to reboot it it takes about 5-10 seconds to get from me clicking reboot to me typing in my password to get back into Windows. Based on that, I don't know how much faster an m.2 would be.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #187
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
When buying an SSD you may want to keep an eye out for the estimated number of write hours. Some SSD drives don't have as much as others. I think the Samsung Pros have a higher write threshold than the regular ones. This may not matter as you may never reach those values but it might be something to keep in mind.

My new motherboard has the option for an m.2 stick but I went with a Samsung 850 500GB and Windows loads extremely fast. I usually don't turn the computer off but when I need to reboot it it takes about 5-10 seconds to get from me clicking reboot to me typing in my password to get back into Windows. Based on that, I don't know how much faster an m.2 would be.
From technical speeds, m.2s (depending on the model) are usually 4x faster for read and 2x faster for write than most (not all) standard SSDs.

Take a look at the read/write specs on this hot mama:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60082

At 2,500MB/s read and 1,500MB/s write, that is 5x and 3x (respectively) faster than the average SSD.

Quote:
Old 11-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #188
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
From technical speeds, m.2s (depending on the model) are usually 4x faster for read and 2x faster for write than most (not all) standard SSDs.

Take a look at the read/write specs on this hot mama:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX60082

At 2,500MB/s read and 1,500MB/s write, that is 5x and 3x (respectively) faster than the average SSD.
Dammit. I had a nice 1TB SSD around $275 that I figured will be sufficient in my next build (probably at the end of the month). Now that I've looked up what M.2 drives are, I want one.

Looks like a cheap M.2 drive like the Intel 600p series goes for $250 for 500 GB. Not bad at all..but half the storage I was planning on.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #189
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Those Intel 600P's are cheaper for a reason. Their speeds are quite a bit slower than others like the one Psy linked.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:41 AM   #190
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I spent the weekend completely reorganizing my gameroom for couch pc gaming. Going wireless will work well for you but I use a Razer Nostromo so no wireless for me. I took the keyboard tray from my desk and glued a no slip shelf material to the bottom so it sits on my lap without sliding and also used Velcro for the Nostromo and Keyboard. The PS4 wireless headphones are really good.

Also checkout the Couchmaster
Spoiler!
This one looks good.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #191
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Linus.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #192
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only gripe with Linus (who I do appreciate for a lot of reasons) is that he hasn't revisited the Push/Pull/Push+Pull debate with rads. There's been a lot of tech in that field since his last vid on it in 2013 and there are a few myths perpetuated from his old video, since it's the only real "authority" on the topic.

Quote:
Old 11-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #193
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Those Intel 600P's are cheaper for a reason. Their speeds are quite a bit slower than others like the one Psy linked.
For gaming/normal use, is the 600P a nice boost on top of a normal SSD?

How noticeable would the performance gain be if I went from 600P to a 950 pro?

Sorry these are kind of vague/nebulous questions. Just looking for some opinions. The 600P seems like it is basically the same price per GB as higher end SSD's, but the price per GB skyrockets with the recommended NVMe drives.
Old 11-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #194
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw a good deal on a MSI mobo today but I've been really scared off of MSI from reviews about their horrific customer support and RMA process.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #195
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
This one looks good.
Would love that though it looks like it's right handed only.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #196
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Would love that though it looks like it's right handed only.
The price is excessive. I really like it but not for the price of an xbox.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 12:44 PM   #197
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Posted in the Black Friday thread, but felt I should share here, too. Newegg.ca has the Intel Core i5-6600K on sale for 284.99, which is the cheapest I've seen it since I began looking.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...108.1478023319
Old 11-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #198
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With all the talk about couch gaming I went ahead and bought the Steam Link and Steam Controller from Amazon. They are $26 and $42 respectively. It'll be interesting to see what a GTX 1080 powered game will look on my TV.

The reviews for the controller say it's great for everything except for FPS games. I was thinking about playing slower, turn based games with it anyway.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #199
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Posted in the Black Friday thread, but felt I should share here, too. Newegg.ca has the Intel Core i5-6600K on sale for 284.99, which is the cheapest I've seen it since I began looking.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...108.1478023319
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...bx80662i56600k

Indeed the cheapest normal price, but not a must buy. Looks like they had a one day sale 5 months ago for $250.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:21 PM   #200
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/...bx80662i56600k

Indeed the cheapest normal price, but not a must buy. Looks like they had a one day sale 5 months ago for $250.
Dang. Oh well, if it goes on sale cheaper between now and January I'll just return the one I got from newegg.