Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2023, 10:37 PM   #1361
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wait.. has it changed that much?

The story is going in new directions sure, but has there been a stark contrast in the writing style?

Maybe I need to rewatch the first two seasons.

I just see a show branching out and building as part of a larger 'mando-verse'

Is this because of the armourer and asking Bo to remove her helmet and unite the clans?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 11:48 PM   #1362
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, I don't get the complaints. I thought that episode was great.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2023, 11:51 PM   #1363
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So there was a lot of interesting lore bits in this episode as the show branches out into a larger story then just the Mando culture

Spoiler!

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:38 AM   #1364
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Probably the best since the season 2 finale.

A little bit rushed (god, can we get movie-length episodes for chapters like this?), but a lot of great moments. I love how it moved around locations while all feeling relevant and building towards the bigger plot/conflict. It felt very star wars-y, unlike last week's episode.

Also did Teva just happen upon the prison transport wreckage? That was convenient. Maybe a little too convenient.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:12 AM   #1365
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

It was just really disjointed. The dialogue was weird and didn’t seem to fit. Storylines were all over the place, the theme of the episode was all over the place and the acting of everyone was kind of bad. I did not like that episode.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:21 AM   #1366
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
It was just really disjointed. The dialogue was weird and didn’t seem to fit. Storylines were all over the place, the theme of the episode was all over the place and the acting of everyone was kind of bad. I did not like that episode.
This.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 08:35 AM   #1367
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I thought the dialogue and performances were mostly pretty bad. The show continues to move further away from what made season 1 great. I still can't believe we had an entire long boring episode to draw out that Moff Gideon's commander lady = still bad and secretly working against the New Republic (which didn't need a whole episode), and then she's had about 45 seconds of screen time since (in this episode, where she still didn't do anything).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:17 AM   #1368
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i love how they used the same voice guy for Zeb as they did in Rebels.

my kids loved Zeb when we watched Rebels - i'm excited to show them 'live action' Zeb!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #1369
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Did the they fire all the old writers?

Wtf is going on with this show?
Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I think the complaints are warranted.

However, personally, I am loving it.

I really liked the Spaghetti Western 'Man with No Name/Problem of the Week' motif that they had going on for a while and the complaints are that the show has deviated from that and that is accurate, however, I find that rather than a deviation I consider the show to be growing.

I like it. I thought the last episode was great.

However....I am worried about the show growing too much, too fast. It might sound ridiculous but you plant a bunch of dudes in helmets and such and eventually it might become unwieldy concerning characters.

So far its okay, we still know all the players in the game.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 10:52 AM   #1370
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was it Zeb? I thought it was another member of the species.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:06 AM   #1371
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Was it Zeb? I thought it was another member of the species.
Steven Blum did say it was Zeb.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 11:11 AM   #1372
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's listed in the credits as Zeb.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2023, 11:20 AM   #1373
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Thought that episode was great. The Zeb cameo had me smiling, you knew as soon as you heard the voice it was him. Looked to similar and then he opened his mouth.

I think they're doing a great job of building up the story and a new world for the Mando's.

I know it seems a bit rushed, but they're working on a TV series. One of the things I loved about The Last of Us the most was how they weren't afraid to just progress. Not everything had to be a grind or detailed. Hit the plot points and keep the show moving.

Really looking forward to how this season plays out. Only 3 episodes left, but at the pace they got going it's still a lot of time.

I really liked that Pirate captain, I thought the costume was amazing as well. Really cool to see all these different races we've enjoyed in the video games, board games, RPG, books etc.. coming out on the screen, and then even ones I've never heard of.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:29 AM   #1374
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think the complaints are warranted.

However, personally, I am loving it.

I really liked the Spaghetti Western 'Man with No Name/Problem of the Week' motif that they had going on for a while and the complaints are that the show has deviated from that and that is accurate, however, I find that rather than a deviation I consider the show to be growing.

I like it. I thought the last episode was great.

However....I am worried about the show growing too much, too fast. It might sound ridiculous but you plant a bunch of dudes in helmets and such and eventually it might become unwieldy concerning characters.

So far its okay, we still know all the players in the game.
It's still a western. Nevarro looks like a frontier town.

And this episode was clearly a riff on The Magnificent Seven.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:39 AM   #1375
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I thought it was great! I love building the world out.

I feel it is probably Thrawn pulling the strings here and this story will continue into Ashoka and tie in the rest of the Rebels crew.

I am all for a big world of Star Wars in this timeline.

I think when they get back to doing movies they need to go into the future and start fresh, and build a world much like is being built here, with several characters and sets of characters doing their own thing, but tying into the larger universe. I guess I'm saying I want it to be like the first few phases of Marvel and not the mess that Marvel is now.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:42 AM   #1376
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Thought that episode was great. The Zeb cameo had me smiling, you knew as soon as you heard the voice it was him. Looked to similar and then he opened his mouth.

I think they're doing a great job of building up the story and a new world for the Mando's.

I know it seems a bit rushed, but they're working on a TV series. One of the things I loved about The Last of Us the most was how they weren't afraid to just progress. Not everything had to be a grind or detailed. Hit the plot points and keep the show moving.

Really looking forward to how this season plays out. Only 3 episodes left, but at the pace they got going it's still a lot of time.

I really liked that Pirate captain, I thought the costume was amazing as well. Really cool to see all these different races we've enjoyed in the video games, board games, RPG, books etc.. coming out on the screen, and then even ones I've never heard of.
This is kind of depressing when you consider that... nothing has really happened. It's feeling like it's all just going to be one big set-up for a more interesting season 4 we have to wait another year and a half for.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:01 PM   #1377
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

I think that's just the thing right. They're seeding points to be picked up in the other Disney+ shows like Ahsoka etc. Ahsoka seemingly will be the Sequel to Rebels based on the casting.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 12:09 PM   #1378
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I thought it was great! I love building the world out.

I feel it is probably Thrawn pulling the strings here and this story will continue into Ashoka and tie in the rest of the Rebels crew.

I am all for a big world of Star Wars in this timeline.

I think when they get back to doing movies they need to go into the future and start fresh, and build a world much like is being built here, with several characters and sets of characters doing their own thing, but tying into the larger universe. I guess I'm saying I want it to be like the first few phases of Marvel and not the mess that Marvel is now.
It could be thrawn. It could be Hux's dad, They could fold any number of ST concepts into it.

It just feels like they're wedging the First Order story in here.

I expect we're going to see the Mando's that directly walked out on Bo gathering behind Gideon in the end.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #1379
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I thought the dialogue and performances were mostly pretty bad. The show continues to move further away from what made season 1 great. I still can't believe we had an entire long boring episode to draw out that Moff Gideon's commander lady = still bad and secretly working against the New Republic (which didn't need a whole episode), and then she's had about 45 seconds of screen time since (in this episode, where she still didn't do anything).
Maybe wait to see what part she plays in the future before making definitive judgments on whether she was given too much screen time?

We don't know yet what role she will play for the baddies in the events to come.

Please explain what separated season 1 for you? Western style chapters? World exploring?

Honestly if they were still world exploring each episode and not advancing the overall story/characters people would be complaining for different reasons (like lack of evolution or progression in the show)

I like that they're building towards a face off with Thrawn and the mandalorians uniting again. And planting the seeds for the future films in the background.

The episodes are individually uneven, but I like where the overall show is headed.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #1380
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
It could be thrawn. It could be Hux's dad, They could fold any number of ST concepts into it.

It just feels like they're wedging the First Order story in here.

I expect we're going to see the Mando's that directly walked out on Bo gathering behind Gideon in the end.
It would clearly be Hux's mom.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote