Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #1121
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Edmonton deal is an anomaly in my opinion.

The City identifies with the hockey team more than any other market in my opinion. Heck they were chanting about the Oilers during the UFC event.

The oilers also marched the glory year players all through the City driving up public sentiment.

And you had a retiring mayor, not running for reelection, who desperately wanted a legacy project.

Lowe and Katz were masterful in their negotiation strategy and the outcome obtained
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #1122
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
It's the opportunity to own it immediately prior to it becoming valuable. The city Victoria park plan apparently takes this into consideration with some zoning or parceling of adjacent property for development.
Did CSEC ask for first right of refusal on the lands around CalgaryNEXT?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:03 PM   #1123
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
The Edmonton deal is an anomaly in my opinion.

The City identifies with the hockey team more than any other market in my opinion. Heck they were chanting about the Oilers during the UFC event.

The oilers also marched the glory year players all through the City driving up public sentiment.

And you had a retiring mayor, not running for reelection, who desperately wanted a legacy project.

Lowe and Katz were masterful in their negotiation strategy and the outcome obtained

Please don't say Lowe was masterful, it just makes me cringe.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #1124
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:16 PM   #1125
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nenshi took the high road in his response. Kudos. Puts King and the Flames in a tough spot. IMO.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #1126
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Nenshi took the high road in his response. Kudos. Puts King and the Flames in a tough spot. IMO.
He implied they were willing to pay 1/3 which seems to be a flat out lie...nice hair though
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #1127
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ultimatum from Ken King.. give him 3 days before he crawls back. How he can say something like that without ultimately looking like a tool is beyond me
Old 09-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #1128
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He implied they were willing to pay 1/3 which seems to be a flat out lie...nice hair though
Why is it a lie? Because the city wants to see return on the investment?

What does that make the Flames owners contribution come to if that's how we are evaluating the split?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #1129
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Did CSEC ask for first right of refusal on the lands around CalgaryNEXT?
I am not sure if they ever fully clarified the CalgaryNext proposal, their funding model page is down but at the time I remember that the idea was for the crl to be used for the stadium and field house and would be paid back by the taxes associated with the development of the site into mixed use commercial residential.

It is the same deal now sought after in every municipal arena project these days.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #1130
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_procee View Post
Please don't say Lowe was masterful, it just makes me cringe.

Say what you want, but Katz ended up with a heck of a deal. One sided in his favor.

That's a win
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #1131
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just heard on NHL radio a few minutes ago that KK and the Flames are simply walking away from everything.

They are no longer pursuing an arena deal AT ALL, so even if the city offers to pay 1/3, the Flames are out.

I guess they ride out the dome till it literally crumbles, then they pay their relocation fee and move.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #1132
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I just heard on NHL radio a few minutes ago that KK and the Flames are simply walking away from everything.

They are no longer pursuing an arena deal AT ALL, so even if the city offers to pay 1/3, the Flames are out.

I guess they ride out the dome till it literally crumbles, then they pay their relocation fee and move.
So KK ultimately failed at his only job for the past number of years. Great job KK! You really gave it hell.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #1133
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
So KK ultimately failed at his only job for the past number of years. Great job KK!
your bias is showing.

KK's job is to represent the views of ownership and be their public face. He is there to take difficult positions, exercise points of leverage, and negotiate.

Ownership says they are walking away, KK walks away.

He's doing exactly what his job is supposed to be.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #1134
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If this is true and it is a big if, I am done with the Flames.

FYI Flames, we don't exist because of you, you exist because of us. If there is a fair deal, you suck up your ego and work to make it happen.

F off with your "public trust" BS and turn around and act like this. Public trusts don't act like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #1135
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If this is true and it is a big if, I am done with the Flames.

FYI Flames, we don't exist because of you, you exist because of us. If there is a fair deal, you suck up your ego and work to make it happen.

F off with your "public trust" BS and turn around and act like this. Public trusts don't act like this.
I'm pretty sure they won't miss you.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:49 PM   #1136
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Which will never happen.

The Flames are too cheap to come up with $183M of their own money upfront with the current deal on the table. Why on earth would they now be willing to pay north of $200M in reolocation fees to move into what is more than likely a less than ideal hockey market that will slide them down the revenue chain as well.

They are acting like nothing more than spoiled brats that need a timeout before they come back to the table.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 09-13-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #1137
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
I'm pretty sure they won't miss you.
I don't care if the miss me or not. Did I give you the impression I thought I was important or something?

Or did I say that a company that says it is for the people but (is allegedly) not acting that way something as a customer I do not want to be part of. I also stated other customers will probably feel the same way and not to take the fans for granted.

I don't get your response.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #1138
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Which will never happen.

The Flames are too cheap to come up with $183M of their own money upfront with the current deal on the table. Why on earth would they now be willing to pay north of $200M in reolocation fees to move into what is more than likely a less than ideal hockey market that will slide them down the revenue chain as well.

They are acting like nothing more than spoiled brats that need a timeout before they come back to the table.

Where in the world did you get THAT number?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #1139
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious why the city asking for their investment back is madness. Isn't that what all the investors want? Anyone ever ponied up 1/3 of the cost of something without wanting a share of their investment. Not even asking for share of profits.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #1140
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If hearts and minds are one of the objectives of the Flames when are the owners going to finally realize that Ken King is a PR disaster?

He may be a good ops guy but if this battle is going to be fought in the election 'arena' the owners need a new face. Perhaps one of them needs to step in front of a camera?
Closed Thread