Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #261
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Anyone expect anything less? It's summer and for a variety of reasons, gas prices are high.

Get your bike out, or put on your walking shoes if you can. You'll thank yourself for the exercise.
It's Stampede time, gotta gouge the tourists too.
keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #262
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Gas was essentially the same price in Newfoundland when I was there last week.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:53 AM   #263
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Given our province, city and my personal wealth's ties to oil, I am happy IF we see +$2/L gas (assuming that doesn't make demand implode).

PUSH'ER TILL SHE SQUEELS
By this point, the oil companies have pretty much detached gas prices from having any association to the value of oil.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #264
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
By this point, the oil companies have pretty much detached gas prices from having any association to the value of oil.
Until the price of oil goes up again...
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2018, 03:48 PM   #265
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps we should take a page out of Haiti's book and protest.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:27 AM   #266
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or maybe it's just baseless complaining based on heuristics, faulty memories and falsehoods.

Alberta Synthetic Crude is C$93.30 per barrel right now. A year ago it was C$59.54 per barrel representing an increase of 57% year over year. Using para transit's cost per liter in July 2017 of C$0.88 cents per liter compared to C$1.34 per liter today, which represents a 52% increase.

Math checks out, but hey, it must be the refiners gouging you!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #267
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Or maybe it's just baseless complaining based on heuristics, faulty memories and falsehoods.

Alberta Synthetic Crude is C$93.30 per barrel right now. A year ago it was C$59.54 per barrel representing an increase of 57% year over year. Using para transit's cost per liter in July 2017 of C$0.88 cents per liter compared to C$1.34 per liter today, which represents a 52% increase.

The problem with increased rates goes farther back than July 2017. I'm not educated enough on the supply chain to know the direct connection between Alberta Synthetic Crude and what ends up in local pumps.

I was under the impression West Texas Crude was used as the benchmark. If you take the current value and go back to the last time the oil was at that value, then take the price of gas at that time and increase by inflation you should get the what the current price of gas at the pumps should be, roughly. Hit several such points over the last 15 years to find a trend.

That it is much higher indicates that something else is going on.

(other people have done the math, I'm not going to)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #268
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sure, but we live in Alberta, so we should get this for free, right? After all, it's our oil!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #269
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with increased rates goes farther back than July 2017. I'm not educated enough on the supply chain to know the direct connection between Alberta Synthetic Crude and what ends up in local pumps.

I was under the impression West Texas Crude was used as the benchmark. If you take the current value and go back to the last time the oil was at that value, then take the price of gas at that time and increase by inflation you should get the what the current price of gas at the pumps should be, roughly. Hit several such points over the last 15 years to find a trend.

In Canadian dollars. 1.03 dollar to .76 dollar adds a lot to oil price.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #270
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Then don't make statements such as this.

Quote:
The supply chain is the fundamental foundation of gasoline prices. Crude costs only make up around 40%-50% of the supply cost for a litre of gasoline.

Regarding WTI, yes it certainly is a benchmark for WCS. But the differential swings all the time based on many factors...transportation bottlenecks (e.g. pipeline bottlenecks), regional supply/demand conditions (e.g. maintenance on local refineries took longer than expected this year which cuts supply which spike price), US:CAD exchange rate.

And if you want to get real technical you could say its all benchmarked off of Brent.

So ya...more complicated than gouging. Don't like it? Don't buy it. That or complain to the Venezuelans and the Iranians (via Trump).
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #271
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression West Texas Crude was used as the benchmark.
I don't understand how someone can think that what price a particular crude grade sells for in Cushing, Oklahoma has more to do with what nominal price expressed in Canadian dollars gasoline sells for at a gas station in Calgary Alberta than an Alberta crude benchmark. Also even that Alberta benchmark is only the feedstock price a refinery pays and speaks nothing to refining and marketing costs and distribution.

Do you go into a Safeway store and call out management for gouging you on milk prices because it's not perfectly correlated to the price of dairy cattle in North Dakota?

Last edited by Cowboy89; 07-08-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 04:14 PM   #272
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand how someone can think that what price a particular crude grade sells for in Cushing, Oklahoma has more to do with what nominal price expressed in Canadian dollars gasoline sells for at a gas station in Calgary Alberta than an Alberta crude benchmark. Also even that Alberta benchmark is only the feedstock price a refinery pays and speaks nothing to refining and marketing costs and distribution.

Do you go into a Safeway store and call out management for gouging you on milk prices because it's not perfectly correlated to the price of dairy cattle in North Dakota?
There is a major diplomatic issue surrounding that very problem with dairy, happening right now.

Frequitude, I was simply responding to Cowboy on a very specific product that he was using as a reference to justify increases.

Is 'don't like it, don't buy it' really an option in north america? I understand that costs have risen, but the amount doesn't seem connected to the price at the pumps in any discernable way. They rise dramatically when a Sultan's farts smell like pancakes, but when the problem is corrected they don't fall at the same speed. It reeks of lack of honesty.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #273
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is a major diplomatic issue surrounding that very problem with dairy, happening right now.

Frequitude, I was simply responding to Cowboy on a very specific product that he was using as a reference to justify increases.

Is 'don't like it, don't buy it' really an option in north america? I understand that costs have risen, but the amount doesn't seem connected to the price at the pumps in any discernable way. They rise dramatically when a Sultan's farts smell like pancakes, but when the problem is corrected they don't fall at the same speed. It reeks of lack of honesty.
A basic investigation into the underlying data behind this statement would reveal it is incorrect. Even with all the other factors between Alberta gasoline and WTI (FX, regional supply/demand, pipelines, differentials, etc.), the two are still extremely correlated.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #274
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, an 18 year correlation of 0.92, and a correlation in the last 3 years of 0.80. Once you eliminate the last three years from the first number, the difference between the two becomes a 0.14 variance. That's significant.

Public perception of Oil and Gas is that of dishonesty and game playing. I think that has gotten worse over the last three years, and your graph seems to support that one reason might be because the price of gasoline is not calculated the same way that it was even four years ago.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:26 PM   #275
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, an 18 year correlation of 0.92, and a correlation in the last 3 years of 0.80. Once you eliminate the last three years from the first number, the difference between the two becomes a 0.14 variance. That's significant.

Public perception of Oil and Gas is that of dishonesty and game playing. I think that has gotten worse over the last three years, and your graph seems to support that one reason might be because the price of gasoline is not calculated the same way that it was even four years ago.
That correlation entirely ignores currency exchange without factoring currency in you cannot draw any conclusions beyond yeah it looks like it tracks.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #276
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
edit: never mind. I don’t want to get into a math game because the point of the exercise was visual.

Quote:
The graph really only supports one conclusion. Gasoline prices track the price of oil really damn well.

The public perception you speak of is not rooted at all in fact. The data proves that. It is rooted in unsubstantiated emotion. This back and fort is evidence of that.

Last edited by Frequitude; 07-08-2018 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #277
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are graphs to prove every viewpoint. This is what the people of BC are being fed on a weekly basis.

http://www.policynote.ca/gas-gouging...oil-not-taxes/

Graphs!

Anyway, I'm not invested enough to argue it. I'm just one of the dozens, maybe multi-dozens, of customers who need this product to get to work every day or choose to die of starvation. Kirk out.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #278
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that is entirely fair and understandable. I guess I’m just trying to defend against the overblown share of that pain which is attributed to our O&G companies instead of the demand side of the equation.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #279
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

'Gas bar shenanigans'

Quote:
Edmonton prices were 136.2 cents per litre, up 13 cents from last week and 47.8 cents from 12 months ago.

McTeague says the biggest cause of this week's surge in Alberta prices was "gas bar shenanigans", as retailers who hadn't passed on recent increases in wholesale prices decided to catch up all at once.

He doesn't expect the increases to stick, pointing out some stations in Edmonton are already retreating.

"These prices will turtle but the point is that we are testing levels that have never been seen before," McTeague said.

He says average prices in Alberta are below the September 2008 peak.

But most people are likely paying more for fuel, he said, because current average is brought down by Costco, which tends to sell gas at cost in order to draw members into its stores.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ries-1.4735427
Old 07-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #280
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Already dropping again. Down to 133 at a lot of the places I just went by
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote