Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #61
ranchlandsselling
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm going to attack a dog tonight and update the dog attack mega thread accordingly!!
ranchlandsselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:46 PM   #62
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
I'm going to attack a dog tonight and update the dog attack mega thread accordingly!!
I would appreciate it greatly if you targeted the shi-tzu across from my condo. ####### is still looking at me.

And I do not trust that underbite.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #63
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Iggy's dad is Jackie Chiles. I know it has never been touched on but I always have wondered if Iggy's dad was a bit of a goof. Nothing concrete but you always hear about his saintly mother and grandparents who practically raised him, where was Jackie?

You are not far off the mark. I know people that have had dealings with him, and they have been less than favourable in their review of his work.

I always wonder if Iggy is a "green card" child.

Back on topic.

undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sliver:dogs::Springs1:servers
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #65
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Either way we agree, less bias and thsi thread would have gone much better. And I mean bias from both sides, not just Silver's.

The rest was pretty close. The problem is that even if he was rational I don't think this thread would have gone well.
What 'pro' dog bias has there been? I didn't see anyone saying dog bites are good or that there aren't irresponsible dog owners out there.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #66
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
My post had nothing to do with dogs vs cats. EDIT: wait, now I'm confused, were you saying my post was about cats vs dogs? I don't even know anymore.

Either way we agree, less bias and thsi thread would have gone much better. And I mean bias from both sides, not just Silver's.

The rest was pretty close. The problem is that even if he was rational I don't think this thread would have gone well.

Again with the Iggy analogy, you can be the most level headed poster of all time and you'd still get people posting stuff like "and here we go with the Iggy bashing".
Ha, like that would ever happen.

Here's a sample of previous Sliver posts on dogs.

"Whenever I see somebody driving along with their dog in their car I'll whistle to get the dog's attention and try to get them to bust out the little crack in the window the owner has usually left. Sometimes they freak out ; sometimes they don't .

I wouldn't do it if the window was wide open as I obviously wouldn't want the dog to actually escape. I just like when they scratch at the window and get all inexplicably obnoxious so the owners is all WTF."

"With 127 reported dog attacks in the city in 2011, maybe we need to start looking at dogs as dangerous weapons and treat their owners in the same way we treat people who wield knives or brandish guns. "

And I love this gem about a little girl who was bitten but was was not affected by it and still likes dogs.

"That's a good attitude for sure. Hopefully it sticks. I'd imagine at this point she's parroting what her parents have told her about the attack as they don't want her to be frightened of dogs in our pro-dog society; however, only time will tell if she can actually go through life without an increased fear of dogs. My money is on this being a problem for her into the future."

That's only a small, recent example.
He hates dogs and he's an a-hole about it, and that's his perogative, but let's not pretend this isn't a blatant anti-dog thread.

Last edited by Zevo; 06-18-2012 at 02:28 PM.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #67
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding our societies' bias towards dogs:

Quote:
Of 2,350 dogs she has assessed, with 161 of them for special aggression assessments, she has only previously recommended three dogs be put down.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/Calgary+dogs+that+tore+woman+face+ordered+destroye d/6790909/story.html#ixzz1yB7x2EyA

So of 2350 dog bite cases, only 3 of the dogs were considered risky? That seems pretty unlikely to me, to be honest. Doesn't that imply a dog that bit someone seriously enough for an investigation to be held has ~1% chance of biting again? That seems pretty low, to me. We should err on the side of valuing humans above dogs, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #68
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Regarding our societies' bias towards dogs:

[/COLOR][/LEFT]

So of 2350 dog bite cases, only 3 of the dogs were considered risky? That seems pretty unlikely to me, to be honest. Doesn't that imply a dog that bit someone seriously enough for an investigation to be held has ~1% chance of biting again? That seems pretty low, to me. We should err on the side of valuing humans above dogs, imo.
Why does that seem low? Do you personally witness a lot of dog bites and this doesn't jibe with your experiences? Honest question.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #69
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
That's only a small, recent example.
He hates dogs and he's an a-hole about it, and that's his perogative, but let's not pretend this isn't a blatant anti-dog thread.
This thread isn't anti-dog. It's about dogs that attack. What, are you pro-dog attacks? Come on, that's ridiculous.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #70
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
This thread isn't anti-dog. It's about dogs that attack. What, are you pro-dog attacks? Come on, that's ridiculous.
Do you still whistle at dogs and try to provoke them?
Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #71
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's absolutely no way you typed that with a straight face
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #72
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Do you still whistle at dogs and try to provoke them?
I haven't recently, but yes, I would if the opportunity presented itself and I was in the right mood.

I'm not saying I like dogs; they're truly unlikeable, but I've done my best at sticking to the facts in this thread and I'll continue to do so. I've seen nothing from you except for an unfair dismissal of anything I say.

Discussing this topic with people with a pro-dog bias is like talking about reasonable gun control with NRA folk.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM   #73
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're entertaining, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Discussing this topic with people with a pro-dog bias is like talking about reasonable gun control with NRA folk.
And you're admittedly anti-dog so it goes both ways... you think we can't be reasonable and it's been demonstrated in some of your arguments that you're not often reasonable on this topic.

Last edited by Old Yeller; 06-18-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #74
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

For everybody complaining about Sliver and this thread; if nobody replied this would be on page 2 right now.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #75
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
For everybody complaining about Sliver and this thread; if nobody replied this would be on page 2 right now.
But that isn't as fun....
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #76
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why does that seem low? Do you personally witness a lot of dog bites and this doesn't jibe with your experiences? Honest question.
My personal experience would be only anecdotal, but given the difficulty a family member had in getting the city to respond to a fairly serious dog bite (over 2 dozen stitches required) and the subsequent bite by that same dog of another person in the neighbourhood, yes, it doesn't jibe with my experiences.

Recidivism by human offenders is higher than 1%, and it seems likely that it would be higher than that for dogs. I'm having a hard time finding statistics on this, which is odd. Lots of platitudes, ranging from "dogs don't always bite again" (which is unfalsifiable because of the always) to "dogs get a taste for blood" (which seems unlikely also).

Last edited by bizaro86; 06-18-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #77
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really not much out there for dog bite statistics with any credibility. The US Centre for Disease control did a study showing ~1.5% of the population has a dog bite annually, which actually makes that a real problem.

I'd be especially interested in any stats on how likely a dog is to bite again after it's bitten once. I couldn't find anything at all.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #78
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Troll
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #79
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Really not much out there for dog bite statistics with any credibility. The US Centre for Disease control did a study showing ~1.5% of the population has a dog bite annually, which actually makes that a real problem.

I'd be especially interested in any stats on how likely a dog is to bite again after it's bitten once. I couldn't find anything at all.
That's shockingly high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Troll
There is no way possible I'm trolling this topic. The notion is offensive, frankly.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #80
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The dog threads are amusing. It's too bad I don't know Sliver personally, his kids would be getting a puppy for christmas
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank MetaMusil For This Useful Post:

Tags
dog attack puppy barking