Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #21
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Nintendo has regular eShop (aka online store) sales these days for 3DS and Wii U. They also just made a bunch of games permanently discounted such as Super Mario 3D World (the best Wii U game, way better than the New Super Mario Bros games), Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3 and NES Remix Pack.

https://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-selects
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure why the emulator is a non-starter. Fire it up on a laptop, use the HDMI out to connect the laptop to a TV, and use a USB controller designed to mimic the N64 one, and you're probably about as close to the original experience as you can get, for almost no money.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, those games are several years old. I don't think I remember seeing a Nintendo game discounted before it is 3 years old. Not like most AAA games that drop within months.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

No reason to put a game like Splatoon on sale when they're getting an attach rate over 30%!
Old 03-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #25
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not sure why the emulator is a non-starter. Fire it up on a laptop, use the HDMI out to connect the laptop to a TV, and use a USB controller designed to mimic the N64 one, and you're probably about as close to the original experience as you can get, for almost no money.
This is my opinion, and I know how this is generally received here, but just because the games are old, doesn't mean it's okay to download them for free instead of paying for them. Not everyone instantly wants to pirate something. If they've made an effort to offer these older games at an affordable price, then what's stopping you? I'm the guy who still uses a CRT to play old games, so I'm probably not the person to be asking!

It's not always a simple plug and play experience either. You might not have your computer or laptop near your couch and entertainment system. Do you want to move everything around every time you want to hook up the computer to HDMI on your TV? I stopped doing it to use Steam Big Screen because I don't have a place that I can put my computer next to my TV, and moving everything sucked.

I'm sure someone is ready to tell me it's not hard to set up the emulator, but I'm willing to bet they have more experience than the average person using a PC. People see they can pirate games and play them on PC, but they're usually not familiar enough with it all except to play on default settings with a keyboard, which sucks.

I've got a few USB controllers collecting dust because $20 buys you pretty crappy controllers. A SNES controller with horribly clicky buttons and a misfiring down direction on the DPad. A Gamecube controller with really bad deadzones on the control sticks and sticky shoulder buttons. A one-size-fits-all PC controller that outright misses inputs. Not all emulators will automatically recognize them either.

Anyway, this is a lot of words to say that I'm also someone who would buy a system today to play old games, so I get where he's coming from.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #26
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
This is my opinion, and I know how this is generally received here, but just because the games are old, doesn't mean it's okay to download them for free instead of paying for them. Not everyone instantly wants to pirate something. If they've made an effort to offer these older games at an affordable price, then what's stopping you? I'm the guy who still uses a CRT to play old games, so I'm probably not the person to be asking!

It's not always a simple plug and play experience either. You might not have your computer or laptop near your couch and entertainment system. Do you want to move everything around every time you want to hook up the computer to HDMI on your TV? I stopped doing it to use Steam Big Screen because I don't have a place that I can put my computer next to my TV, and moving everything sucked.

I'm sure someone is ready to tell me it's not hard to set up the emulator, but I'm willing to bet they have more experience than the average person using a PC. People see they can pirate games and play them on PC, but they're usually not familiar enough with it all except to play on default settings with a keyboard, which sucks.

I've got a few USB controllers collecting dust because $20 buys you pretty crappy controllers. A SNES controller with horribly clicky buttons and a misfiring down direction on the DPad. A Gamecube controller with really bad deadzones on the control sticks and sticky shoulder buttons. A one-size-fits-all PC controller that outright misses inputs. Not all emulators will automatically recognize them either.

Anyway, this is a lot of words to say that I'm also someone who would buy a system today to play old games, so I get where he's coming from.
I like this post actually. I'm in a position in my life where I'm not exactly pinching pennies anymore, so I don't "need" to use an emulator. The thing is, Zelda gave my wife tons of good memories when she was a kid, and the Nintendo corporation gave me a ton of gaming fun too. Why not reward them? Plus, it makes my life simpler without having to hookup a PC everytime I want to play it. Now that I have the hardware, I can enjoy some Nintendo specific games at the touch of a button, especially the motion sense ones that can be a lot of fun.

I don't like to advertise it, but I don't really have any moral issues pirating software, movies or music. If I really like something I pirated though, I'll reward the artists or developers by buying a legit copy. I view (justify?) it as sampling.

I kind of foresee myself buy a 27" tube TV at some point though becasue there are guys all over Craigslist selling NES, SNES, N64s, etc with huge libraries of games that you simply can't get on the Nintendo eShop now.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 01:55 PM   #27
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
but now she wants to play it on an NES controller, or at least, not on a keyboard.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RetroDuo-Nint...IAAOSwl9BWJa4B
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #28
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
A newer system like that, although smart, just doesn't have the same charm of getting an authentic old one.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:27 AM   #29
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post

Nintendo has made getting these old games on the new consoles very easy, and that's the big reason not to pirate games like this. It's not like you need to find working console, and have 14 things plugged into your TV.

Same with how iTunes/Spotify etc pretty much made pirating music not worthwhile. If I can download a song in less than a minute for a buck, there is no way I would even consider trying to find it in a torrent, risk an annoying email from Shaw, and then transfer it to my phone.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #30
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Nintendo has made getting these old games on the new consoles very easy, and that's the big reason not to pirate games like this. It's not like you need to find working console, and have 14 things plugged into your TV.

Same with how iTunes/Spotify etc pretty much made pirating music not worthwhile. If I can download a song in less than a minute for a buck, there is no way I would even consider trying to find it in a torrent, risk an annoying email from Shaw, and then transfer it to my phone.

You wouldn't download a car, so why download a movie?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:37 PM   #31
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
You wouldn't download a car, so why download a movie?
I would probably download a car
Old 03-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #32
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still keep a CRT TV in my guest bedroom specifically to play non HD games. I find the emulator experience to just be lacking something. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but emulators doesn't beat the experience of firing up my PS1 or N64 on the old CRT and playing it with a wired controller.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I still keep a CRT TV in my guest bedroom specifically to play non HD games. I find the emulator experience to just be lacking something. Maybe it's the nostalgia factor, but emulators doesn't beat the experience of firing up my PS1 or N64 on the old CRT and playing it with a wired controller.
Im seriously considering contacting this guy to see if I can bring the price down and pull the trigger on a gold mine of classic games and consoles.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/vgm/5471517888.html
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM   #34
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Im seriously considering contacting this guy to see if I can bring the price down and pull the trigger on a gold mine of classic games and consoles.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/vgm/5471517888.html
I'd suggest passing...what's the point of buying so many duplicate consoles? Why would you need RF adapters when newer CRTs can do Composite, S-Video and Component just fine? Even the NES can do Composite. I see he's including some really old CRTs so maybe that's why...

Also, why would you need a PS1 when a PS2 can run all PS1 games? Same for the GBA and a Gameboy.

The games in the pictures seem good, but there's still going to be games you'd likely never touch. I suppose if you don't mind paying a bulk price for a few games you'd only keep on a shelf, then it's not the end of the world. The lack of Gameboy/GBA/PS1/PS2 games is a bit disappointing though.

Basically, if you're willing to drop $1400 USD on this collection, you might be better off focusing on the consoles you like the most and getting specific games for those systems, rather than potentially a bunch of games you won't like or won't play, and a ton of extra systems you'll never use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2016, 06:27 PM   #35
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking of talking him down in price then selling off the duplicate consoles on their own.

But your right about the other stuff. Plus there's no N64 in the package and Sega sucks.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #36
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Go to Kijji/pawnshop/etc, purchase N64 and Zelda. plug into tv. x
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emulator , n64 , zelda