Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-05-2019, 04:45 PM   #501
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
...But I don't think it make Sliver, myself et al monsters. ...
Not monsters. "F...ng idiots". Insane f...ng idiots. (thanked by a mod).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #502
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
but the Amber Alerts wake me up every single time.
Soo... 2-3 times in 6 months? Anyone have stats on the number of Amber Alerts we've received in past 6 months that have come during the night?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #503
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
This just seems like an awfully narrow sliver of information that you are worried about controlling...do you have other methods to prevent her from receiving this type of info via other channels (News apps, etc.)? Or is it the air raid siren alert that is exacerbating the issue?

IMO, being able to opt out of the system is not the best solution here. What is wrong with the following:

Presidential/Level 1= current alert sound overriding DND/silence mode - Imminent threat to mass population (incoming missile, tornado, fire, flood, etc.)
Level 2 = a more moderate alarm sound (ideally that gradually increases in volume and intensity like a lot of alarm sounds do - still difficult to ignore, but less likely to make you crash your car or startle you awake) - Imminent threat to individual lives (Amber alerts)

I think there is room to debate whether level 2 should respect DND or phone silence settings or not (I'd lean to yes - these people will still see the alert within a reasonable amount of time)

Spitballing here, but I'd suggest that level 1 information would reach 99% of users in proximity to their phones within 1 minute.
Level 2 information would reach 90-95% of users in proximity to their phones within 5 minutes (obviously significantly less in the middle of the night if DND is respected, but it would still be the first thing they see when they wake up).

IMO this would mitigate both the 'cry wolf' issue and most other potential 'harms' from the alert system without significantly compromising its benefits...(I actually think it would maximize the long term efficacy of the system).
The question is would this affect the quality or quantity to tip coming in. We are looking for so few people who have relevant information that we shouldn’t be to quick to exclude them.

Were all of the people who provided tips for these Amber Alerts awake at the time of the alert or did they provide information from something they saw or knew from earlier after getting awoken. I hope they collect this type of data.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #504
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even want a notification if a nuclear strike is incoming. Why? So I can hide somewhere, survive, and eek out a meager life in a post apocalyptic wasteland?

Naw, f that, vaporize me in my sleep dawg.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 06:03 PM   #505
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I don't even want a notification if a nuclear strike is incoming. Why? So I can hide somewhere, survive, and eek out a meager life in a post apocalyptic wasteland?

Naw, f that, vaporize me in my sleep dawg.

I was always hoping for some kind of “The Last Man on Earth” scenario. First trip is to the Lamborghini dealership to learn how to drive a stick shift.

My dream only happens if enough people disable, or start ignoring, critical alerts on their phones. Then there is no competition for resources and stuff.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #506
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Critical Amber Alert

Double post

Last edited by Wormius; 06-05-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #507
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well, I have no empathy for the one or two posters who are against the alerts. That being said, it’s more a problem that people seem to think that every poster has to agree. He has his point of view and that’s it, let it go.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #508
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
First trip is to the Lamborghini dealership to learn how to drive a stick shift.
Do not wait. Get a Turo account and a friend who can teach you. You won't regret it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #509
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Well, I have no empathy for the one or two posters who are against the alerts. That being said, it’s more a problem that people seem to think that every poster has to agree. He has his point of view and that’s it, let it go.
Boring
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #510
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Children agree not to get abducted after 8pm so Amber Alert doesn't wake anyone up"

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/07...hvFpQNzQyoN0WU
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 PM   #511
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's really all we've been asking for.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM   #512
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Nobody will feel stupid reading that, they'll just further entrench in their views, as per all social media discussions.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:05 PM   #513
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Nobody will feel stupid reading that, they'll just further entrench in their views, as per all social media discussions.
This is such a negative view of other people’s opinions. I have been swayed countless times by listening to new ideas and other opinions.

Narrow minded idiots are always going to be around. They are unavoidable. But I think in reality they are few and far between. Some just seem to be louder.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #514
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is such a negative view of other people’s opinions. I have been swayed countless times by listening to new ideas and other opinions.

Narrow minded idiots are always going to be around. They are unavoidable. But I think in reality they are few and far between. Some just seem to be louder.
I'm very open to other views and in fact, seek them out. But I'm very negative towards social media in general. Perhaps that's a flaw.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #515
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'm very open to other views and in fact, seek them out. But I'm very negative towards social media in general. Perhaps that's a flaw.
No sorry, I’m not claiming you aren’t. I’m just saying don’t get so down on the ability to change other people minds. It’s possible, don’t let it break ya.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM   #516
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/petiti...erts-1.4518717

Found an interesting article about people in Ontario signing a petition to have people who call 911 to complain about Amber Alerts to get fined.

Quote:
On all five occasions that Amber Alerts have been issued in Ontario this year, police forces have had to plead with the public to stop flooding 911 operators with complaints about the broadcasts, some of which take place in the middle of the night.
Quote:
She said fines are necessary to dissuade people not only from complaining about a valuable service, but from monopolizing emergency resources that may be more urgently needed.
Yesterday on the radio they were talking about this, and they played some recordings from some people who had called 911 to complain about the Alerts. They played a recording of one guy, who I can only describe as the dumbest mother####er I've ever heard in my life, complain and rant to the dispatcher about being woken up. Dispatch tried to tell him it wasn't their fault, but he wasn't hearing anything of it.

911 resources being wasted on an idiot like that.

I'm one of those people who thinks the alerts should be able to be turned off if one chooses. But I'm also completely against people using valuable emergency resources to complain about things like this.

I'd be on board if people in Alberta who call 911 to complain about the AA get a huge fine.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 01:31 PM   #517
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure the complaints are rolling in again today. There was an Amber Alert at 3:00 am last night. Luckily the girl was found quickly, her father had taken her and was convinced to bring her back. I would never complain about receiving them, as much as it startled me last night.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 10:20 AM   #518
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I'm sure the complaints are rolling in again today. There was an Amber Alert at 3:00 am last night. Luckily the girl was found quickly, her father had taken her and was convinced to bring her back. I would never complain about receiving them, as much as it startled me last night.
I had a family member on facebook complaining about this stuff recently and showed them the setup on my phone so they could stop the "issue". I don't receive any emergency alerts while Do not Disturb is on, it turns on automatically every night, and I can still receive important calls if needed.

Screenshots below:
Spoiler!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:41 AM   #519
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5683167/amber-alert-system/

Calls for changes to Amber Alert system getting louder

It’s also meant a loss of sleep for potentially millions of people who have been woken up by the shrill alarm that goes with it, leading to a growing call for the system to be overhauled.

Similar comments litter Reddit chat rooms, all anonymous likely for the ironic fear of social media backlash. Annoyance at being woken up is the most common sentiment, but so too is the belief that the system is run poorly or is simply ineffective.

The U.S. system relies on different tiers of alarms. The most serious is called a Presidential Alert and can’t be blocked. Other alarms are used for less dire situations and can be targeted to specific geographic locations.

In contrast, Canada has one tier, equivalent to the U.S. Presidential alert which is broadcast throughout the province where it was issued.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:06 PM   #520
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I personally think that if you're stupid enough to call 911 to complain about a Amber Alert You should be warned once in the politest terms, and if you do it again, you get hit with a $500.00 fine.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: