Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2019, 09:43 PM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Pay the man.
They did. Bennington got a 577% raise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #22
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Both what you and Jiri posted are irrelevant. What’s the market value for a guy that single handedly got you to playoffs and then took you to your first cup in ever?

Anyway we all agree the “market” (it’s a false market but okay) paid him fairly I guess but to me when Kevin Hayes gets $7MM and this guy gets $4.4 it strikes me as very, very odd.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Anyway we all agree the “market” (it’s a false market but okay) paid him fairly I guess but to me when Kevin Hayes gets $7MM and this guy gets $4.4 it strikes me as very, very odd.
Oh it’s odd alright. On Philly’s end.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:39 PM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Takes Binnington to UFA after the two years, and is going to get PAID by whatever team wants to throw the dough at him.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:39 PM   #25
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Comparing a UFA forward to a rfa forward isn’t logical
If anything you could compare to Matt Murray’s deal as another rfa goalie who had limited experience but took his team to a cup
He signed a 3.75 deal.
By all sorts of comparisons this deal is fine. Why would the blues pay more than they had to
And let’s be honest there’s risk here too given the limited track record
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #26
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It takes away 0 ufa years. He gets to cash in on a big deal asap and the team doesn't risk giving him a big contract to have him be a flash in the pan player. 8f they have him 6×8 and this year turns out to be a fluke, the team is pooched. If they sign him 6x8 and he's the next Patrik Roy, he misses out on a lot of money. When he's done this contract, he can sign wherever he wants for as much as he wants.

Great deal for both sides, and the fact he didnt go to arbitration shows that he's happy with it.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #27
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Comparing a UFA forward to a rfa forward isn’t logical
If anything you could compare to Matt Murray’s deal as another rfa goalie who had limited experience but took his team to a cup
He signed a 3.75 deal.
By all sorts of comparisons this deal is fine. Why would the blues pay more than they had to
And let’s be honest there’s risk here too given the limited track record
I agree. For goalies, I think you really need to do it more than once to deserve a long term lucrative contract. There are too many flashes in the pan.

It's arguably the most important position for a team to invest in, but also the most risky to invest in the wrong person. You have to be careful. It's not like overpaying a defenseman or forward where you can play them down the line-up and not get weighed down too badly.

There is a huge opportunity cost associated with locking yourself up with a goalie long term if it doesn't work out.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:34 AM   #28
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t know how you can’t rationalize paying this guy who gifted you your first championship in +40 years at least $6MM but okay. Brutal.
If he didn't like it he could've gone to arbitration or sought an offer sheet.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #29
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

The jury is actually still out on Binnington. Yeah, he caught lightning in a bottle but so did Andrew Hammond a few years ago. What if Hammond actually went on to take the Sens to the Cup Finals? (We'll never really know since Sens went back to Anderson in the playoffs).

Pretty similar resume at the time. Age 26, never really had a chance, suddenly gets one and goes on an unbelievable run. Hammond played 31 more games in the NHL and was done.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I dunno. I think if you had a goalie you knew would win you a championship you’d pay a duck load for, and this guy just delivered. Seems a bit light to me by like 25% at least. I love the logic of “prove it” contract. Uh, I just did? Your first win in franchise history? You’re welcome?

Without Binnington the Blues don’t qualify for the playoffs let alone win the cup. Pay the man.

It’s business. Why would you pay more than you need to? Also the deal is fine. He’s a rookie, and the term is short.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both what you and Jiri posted are irrelevant. What’s the market value for a guy that single handedly got you to playoffs and then took you to your first cup in ever?

Half a season track record.

And RFA.

He got paid.

It's Hayes' contract that is off kilter
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Binnington likely has a far better chance to prove to be a flash in the pan that to lead the Blues to another Stanley Cup.

But you can likely say that about most goalies, as winning the Stanley Cup is hard and against the odds. I'd generally bet on the team more than the goalie.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #33
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Binnington deserved the Calder trophy for his impact on the Blues. No question in my mind that if it were not for him, the Blues wouldn't have won the cup, and probably wouldn't even had made the playoffs.

With that being said, he did have some spectacular performances in some games, but he was just 'steady' in most of them. His GAA and SV% really dropped in the playoffs. I don't think he 'stole' St. Louis the cup, but he just provided reliably good goaltending.

4.4 is fair I believe for both sides. You can't just sign him to a 6+ million 8 year deal at this stage as a reward. On top of that, as much of a confidence booster that may be, it would also potentially become a crippling anchor of pressure for him. I think that's a good contract for both sides. There are a lot of goalies that do really well, and then fall apart. Check out these comparables:

1) GAA = 1.96 SV% = .935
2) GAA = 2.46 SV% = .924

Both goalies played over 10 games in the playoffs. Heck, they played for the same team. They both make around 4.4 million. One is Jordan, the other is Jake. Guess who St. Louis would love to dump. Winning the cup for SURE is an incredible ace on your resume, but Jake Allen looked completely lights-out that run they had in the playoffs. Binnington just looked 'good' through most of it. I think St. Louis learned a lesson not to overpay on goaltending.

I wish the Flames had a Jordan Binnington, but will I still feel that way next season? I don't know. That's why he didn't get more than 2 years.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #34
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tome this seems like a sensible deal for both sides. The blues get him for two years, and if Bennington has any financial management skills he should be ok financially for most of his life.

If his skill level stays the same he will get paid.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #35
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

I think you have all the qualifications to be an NHL GM!

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote