Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default mini owners, question for you

hey guys,

So i am hoping that someone might be able to recommend a mechanic for my Mini...i'd go to crowfoot, but am a little afraid i'll get ripped off there.

Just need to get servicing and also get me brakes fixed; I think the rotors need to reground (I only have 35K km on it, so that sucks)

Anyways, if anyone can recommend a good mechanic that, preferably, know minis, I'd appreciate it...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

sell it and buy a real car

I mean it .....all of the reviews and recalls on these cars from bad brakes to suspension make that car a money pit from hell....do the research before you get mad at me.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

My friend bought a mini for $25,000 USD last year. Don't know what year it is, but it is relatively new. She bought it from a private owner and has already put like $15,000 worth of work into it.( A couple grand was for body work.) She is selling it to buy a scooter!

I think her car in particular is just jinxed.

Last edited by missdpuck; 10-12-2009 at 03:00 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #4
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a 4 year+ MINI owner, I can tell you that mine is definitely not a money pit. The money I've had to put into it (granted, a bit more than a domestic) is faaaaar outweighed by the sheer driving joy that this car delivers.

For a good independant mechanic for 2003+ MINIs, check out Vitek's Autoworks (403-452-0200). He's factory trained, and knows what he's doing on the MINIs. Club members also get a break on parts, IIRC.

BTW, what year is your MINI?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
As a 4 year+ MINI owner, I can tell you that mine is definitely not a money pit. The money I've had to put into it (granted, a bit more than a domestic) is faaaaar outweighed by the sheer driving joy that this car delivers.

For a good independant mechanic for 2003+ MINIs, check out Vitek's Autoworks (403-452-0200). He's factory trained, and knows what he's doing on the MINIs. Club members also get a break on parts, IIRC.

BTW, what year is your MINI?
Thanks Ironhorse! My mini is a 2004, how about you?

I am appreciative of the other comments/advice the other guys have posted, but really, this is the only issue I've experienced thus far...and I agree that its a fun little car to drive too...

I live downtown, so, its a perfect car for me and i only put on about 5k a year, so there won't be too much wear and tear...

I'll give Vitek a shout...cheers!
Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
sell it and buy a real car

I mean it .....all of the reviews and recalls on these cars from bad brakes to suspension make that car a money pit from hell....do the research before you get mad at me.
What is a real car to you? The Cooper S model is a blast to drive and is well regarded by car enthusiasts and auto journalists. It's expensive, but it's very much a "real" car and undoubtedly above average in most objective performance measures.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone buying a European car should expect to put in more for maintenance and general ownership. But the reward that you tend to get is a much better driving experience and an increased overall fun factor. It's like going out with a really hot girl. When you're having fun, times are really great....but she can be a tempestuous biatch that will drive you crazy at times.

Whether that's worth it is up to each person of course. Myself, I just bought a nice swedish model.

Last edited by Table 5; 10-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
She's just with you for the money.
it's ok, she was a cheap whore to begin with.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Thanks Ironhorse! My mini is a 2004, how about you?

I am appreciative of the other comments/advice the other guys have posted, but really, this is the only issue I've experienced thus far...and I agree that its a fun little car to drive too...
Mine is a 2006 Cooper S with added JCW goodness.

Glad to help out. Feel free to join us at www.minicalgary.com.

Cheers!
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
OilersBaby
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yay a thread on MINIs. Mine's a 2008 MCS and I haven't had to do a thing to it yet thank goodness but in a few years, if i do, thats ok cuz I am in love with my car! I only have 10,000 miles on it so far. Yay MINIs

OilersBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Mine is a 2006 Cooper S with added JCW goodness.

Glad to help out. Feel free to join us at www.minicalgary.com.

Cheers!

cool thanks...sorry for the delay...got busy with dental issues More unexpected costs, so i'll have to delay a bit on the brakes at Vitek's
Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM   #12
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #13
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
So i am hoping that someone might be able to recommend a mechanic for my Mini...i'd go to crowfoot, but am a little afraid i'll get ripped off there.

Just need to get servicing and also get me brakes fixed; I think the rotors need to reground (I only have 35K km on it, so that sucks)

Anyways, if anyone can recommend a good mechanic that, preferably, know minis, I'd appreciate it...
Take it to Wal-Mart. I hear they do a hella good job.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:08 AM   #14
K1LLswitch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have an 06 mini - Love it!

We don't put a lot of km on it (2nd car) but I haven't found it expensive to own at all. Annual oil change (it's full synthetic so lasts forever) and bought some snow tires (AMAZING what a difference they make on a light car).

Oh, and 1 flat tire (parked on a nail) and a brutal rock chip / crack within the 1st week of ownership, but that's pretty expected in Calgary, and replacing a lost key (not nearly as expensive as I thought it would have been - my GM truck would be more to replace)

Wish I could have bought the S.......would have, but the wife can't drive manual (it's technically her car) and an automatic S would have been a crime.

BMW/Mini Crowfoot has also been great! They treat mini drivers no different (at least that I've experienced) from Beemer drivers who own cars 3-4x the price of a mini. Their shuttle car/van will drop you off and pick you up when you need, and I've always had great service.

Only real complaint is that the keyless entry has a range of like 2ft from the car.....don't understand that, when I can lock my suburban from inside the house behind a closed door....???
K1LLswitch is offline   Reply With Quote