Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2018, 07:55 PM   #61
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2018, 10:53 PM   #62
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Living in the NW it kills me driving past that stadium every day knowing I would have to go to Okotoks to see any decent baseball.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:34 AM   #63
cavalera403
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I have been hunting for this cap for at least 2 years. I also have 2 on the way.
I love going to Dawgs games but man do I miss AAA ball in town.
cavalera403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #64
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just another dumpy stadium in this city. By far the worst collection of sporting venues in the entire country. This dump should be torn down already.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:40 AM   #65
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Just another dumpy stadium in this city. By far the worst collection of sporting venues in the entire country. This dump should be torn down already.
It's home to the UofC Baseball team... Babe Ruth... Baseball Calgary... Sr. Men's ... Why should it be torn down it gets used almost daily - there really isn't any facilities in this city for baseball at that level besides Optimist and Glenmore that are decent... I coached at UofC and we had to play a DH at Optimist because of the Viper holding spring camp - there were 13 home runs in the two games - might be good for 16-18 year old's but doesn't cut it for collegiate play and that level.

We will never see another AAA level team here ... but we could see a Rookie league team - look at how successful Vancouver's team is - same deal they had a team in the PCL with the Cannons - kept the facility going with the UBC team and the same kind of teams using Foothills until someone came along with a short season A club and it's packed every night.
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:57 AM   #66
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post

We will never see another AAA level team here ... but we could see a Rookie league team - look at how successful Vancouver's team is - same deal they had a team in the PCL with the Cannons - kept the facility going with the UBC team and the same kind of teams using Foothills until someone came along with a short season A club and it's packed every night.
I actually think that league is the sweet spot for Calgary baseball. We are weather constrained in this city and any baseball league that plays night games in April and May will never survive in this market. Baseball starting the middle of June and running to the end of August lines up perfectly with when Calgary weather is at it's best.

People might point to the Dawgs and Vipers experience and highlight how those didn't work in Calgary, however I would counter that affiliated ball (while it might actually be a worse quality of baseball than the Dawgs or Vipers) would give it an aura of professionalism / association with the Major Leagues that kept the casual fan away from those teams.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 04-26-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:21 AM   #67
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Agreed... However its a misconceptions that the WMBL (Dawgs) would be better than a Rookie League team and to say that they are better than the Vipers were is just not true.

WMBL players are college level players - just learning to swing wood, the speed of the game etc... While Rookie level players aren't that much more advanced they are still advanced players - the level of play is DRAMATICALLY better and far more consistent.

The Vipers (more so the Northern League version than the GBL version) is FAR superior to the Dawgs - no contest... You have the majority of players that have played for professionally for 2-3 years - you even have the odd player on each team with big league time.

The Dawgs might claim they are equal or superior - but they aren't even close... Just like Vipers fans would have said I bet the Vipers could play with the Cannons - it wouldn't even have been close.

The Dawgs play great baseball and have an amazing program don't get me wrong I know them and the founders of the program well - all I'm saying is saying the WMBL is even or better that Northern League or Rookie league is just not accurate.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #68
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
It's home to the UofC Baseball team... Babe Ruth... Baseball Calgary... Sr. Men's ... Why should it be torn down it gets used almost daily - there really isn't any facilities in this city for baseball at that level besides Optimist and Glenmore that are decent... I coached at UofC and we had to play a DH at Optimist because of the Viper holding spring camp - there were 13 home runs in the two games - might be good for 16-18 year old's but doesn't cut it for collegiate play and that level.

The field is useful. The rest of the stadium likely requires updated tetanus shots before entry. It really should be torn down and replaced with something nicer and simpler. Especially if your goal is rookie league or single-A. And the latter is unlikely given the closest NWL outpost is 8 hours away by car, and probably closer to 10 by bus. We'd need to pair up with Edmonton to make it worth while, and that would mean either two relocations concurrently or two team expansion at the MLB level.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I actually think that league is the sweet spot for Calgary baseball. We are weather constrained in this city and any baseball league that plays night games in April and May will never survive in this market. Baseball starting the middle of June and running to the end of August lines up perfectly with when Calgary weather is at it's best.

People might point to the Dawgs and Vipers experience and highlight how those didn't work in Calgary, however I would counter that affiliated ball (while it might actually be a worse quality of baseball than the Dawgs or Vipers) would give it an aura of professionalism / association with the Major Leagues that kept the casual fan away from those teams.
Yeah. I used to frequent games in the middle of summer and they were great fun. Problem was that evenings don't get comfortable in Calgary until June so crowds were sparse to start the season not to mentioned all the games that would be postponed annually by snow. I can't imagine the players enjoyed it either. Calgary could support another AAA team but they would need an indoor facility and there's no way that's going to get funded.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #70
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Pretty good lookin lid for sure.

I miss the Cannons. My uncle (RIP and actually my moms cousins husband) was Russ Parkers right hand man for that club. Oh the stories he told me. Great dude and miss him a ton as well. But that baseball team was so much fun and were pretty good a few years. I will forever remember when the Mariners screwed the Cannons during that championship series.....forget what year that was. Doubt Russ ever got over that reaming.

I think that was 1991 when they called up a handful of guys right before the finals, including closer Dave Burba.

We had a 2-0 series lead then lost the next three in Tucson.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:44 AM   #71
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
I think that was 1991 when they called up a handful of guys right before the finals, including closer Dave Burba.

We had a 2-0 series lead then lost the next three in Tucson.
This man used to make a pretty decent website...
The Following User Says Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #72
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.lids.ca/calgary-cannons-...k-cap/20988567

Another Calgary Cannons cap!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #73
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's classic.
I picked up a Hawaii Islanders lid the other day.
My other fav team as a tyke.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM   #74
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you ever get a chance, go watch a ballgame in Charlotte. Really nice small ballpark to watch a game.

rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #75
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg has a really great little stadium downtown as well for the Goldeyes

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 02:01 PM   #76
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like if Calgary had a team right now, they would do incredibly well with crowds. After the Jays 15/16 playoff runs - seems like baseball has really picked up some steam here.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #77
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they had a 1985-93 style Cannons hat, I'd be all over it.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You would cheat on Sidney Crosby's Hat? For shame sir! For shame!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #79
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure lids sells a Cannon's hat

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #80
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There's a small outfit in Edmonton doing mostly vintage Edmonton baseball gear, but they do have a Cannons cap. My kids bought one for me for Father's Day. Ross Flats
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote